trying to decide on dps

im trying to decide between, a dps sorc or dps merc i enjoy both but i need to focus on one to get to 55 lol so any imput wud be awsum

10+ Year Old Account
    Lightning Sorc is an extremely popular build, and should the urge hit you then you can swap to be one of the better healers in the game.

However, personally I prefer DPS (Arsenal) Merc. I like their style, their rotation, and their overall toolkit. One thing that bugs me about Sorcs is they have this Lightsaber and never use it. As a DPS Merc I've got pistols, missiles, and other gadgets. Its like being a walking action-movie star. So basically...I like the "feel" of the Merc better than the Sorc.

It really depends on what you want to do. Are you interested in PvE/PvP or perhaps both? For a PvP environment I would reccomend sorc, even tho their not to popular in the ranked scene, but their more popular than mercs. It's the harsh fact. For PvE it doesn't matter what you go for really. As WarpedAcorn stated, both classes have unique stuff to make them enjoyable.

well i play both pve and pvp mainly pve and just pvp for fun ect , i am looking for the story side as well

Deleted
    i disliked the sith inquisitor story, was a bit ridiculous. Bounty hunters i enjoyed a wee bit more

Bounty Hunter is a good, "classic action movie" type story. Sith Inquistor is a weird, supernatural themed "old ruins and ghost hunting" type thing. I like both, but personally find the BH storyline more appealing. Inquisitor DOES have the best companion story I've seen though.

I actually LOVED the Sorc story, reminds me of the old Kung Fu movies of back in the day. The Main dude(tte) Trains goes for the Big score and gets wrecked, a wise old man takes him under wing trains him right main dude gets powerful and then takes on the Big Boss killing his underlings and then the Big Boss in a final Showdown and MAN was it fun to watch. So much fun I did it twice.

Now the BH story was a great one for me as well running bounties and getting paid Like Warped said the toolkit is just great. A one man walking army. Flames missiles blaster bolts flying bounties dying getting paid wrecking the Galaxy GREAT times. And Chapter 3 was a BLAST for me loved the backdrop that BW did.

If you want fun and guns go Merc the Sorc is great for flinging lightning and awesome for getting FP runs as heals and heals are a fun on the Sorc too. IMO go merc first then sorc

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgot to mention the biggest thing in Merc's favor over Sorc....Rocket Punch. =)

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Forgot to mention the biggest thing in Merc's favor over Sorc....Rocket Punch. =)
    YEEESSSSSSSS indeed SHORYUKEN lol LOVE this I always go in close so I can Rocket kill

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    YEEESSSSSSSS indeed SHORYUKEN lol LOVE this I always go in close so I can Rocket kill
    You have no idea how many times I put myself in bad situations in PvP so I can try and let Rocket Punch be my finishing blow.

I liked DPS merc a lot, but I haven't played sorc very high to compare. I am however enjoying Shadow dps quite a bit.

It is said that Snipers (Agent), Gunslingers (Smuggler), Marauders (Sith Warrior) and Sentinels (Jedi Knight) are the best options. Personally, I go for Snipers or Gunslingers, since I've mainly played the ranged class and suck at melee. Once you've learned the trick of the class. While Snipers and Gunslingers lack abilities to stun enemies (spare for droids), they make it up in damage. I managed to gather around 700k in damage and 69 kills with my level 25 Gunslinger during a PvP match. A record I may never beat. Either way, these guys might be a pain to level, seeing as queues take forever and there's an overflow of DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorcs are meh, but Thundering Blast hits like a truck.

Marauders/Sentinels are fun as all hell. I leveled Annihilate/Watchman, and just made the switch to Rage/Focus, which is so much better and so much more fun.

Mercs are amazingly fun. Mine is a pyrotech, there's nothing like setting my enemies on fire, in multiple ways, and then unleashing hell on them.

Those are my 55s.

So far, the Scoundrel is a fun class for leveling, but I hear they're "meh" for DPS. Been putting her through FPs as a healer anyways.
    Putin khuliyo

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have a 31 Merc, 38 Assassin, and 41 Sorc. Depending on your flavour of ranged with depend on what you enjoy. It's fun for me to shoot lightning out of my hands, I also enjoy just being a bad ass bounty hunter Merc. I say level both, you're bound to enjoy both anyways.

Playing as a sorc for about half of a year and still like it)

Deleted
    Merc does slightly better damage, Sorc can switch to an easy to play yet powerful healer, and throwing lightning looks just a tad Star Wars-ier. As an afterthought Scoundrel has the best story and will get a huge dps boost in patch 2.6.