Thread: Blizzard 2014

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I usually love snow and cold weather but it always brings out the blithering anti-science rubes that use it as proof of the non-existence of global warming.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    I usually love snow and cold weather but it always brings out the blithering anti-science rubes that use it as proof of the non-existence of global warming.
    It is ridiculous that it does. Global warming causes climate change, which means excessive and quickly changing weather patterns that are seen at abnormal times. It doesn't mean that winter stops happening. Winters get more brutal. More snowstorms. More ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It is ridiculous that it does. Global warming causes climate change, which means excessive and quickly changing weather patterns that are seen at abnormal times. It doesn't mean that winter stops happening. Winters get more brutal. More snowstorms. More ice.
    Well actually localized extreme weather events of one kind or another have nothing to do with global warming.

This blizzard no more disproves it than it would prove it if mother nature suddenly went all Roland Emmerich on Manhattan.

If anything increasing heat means increasing entropy and thus a miniscule decrease in localized extreme weather events.(but there's so much variation there it would be impossible to actually determine)

Dramatic swings in winter temperature are actually the result of the atmosphere compressing in some areas and decompressing in others.

That's why while we are all hunkered down for Blizzard 2014 all out European friends are frowning about not having snow.

I'd get into moar detail, but I have to sleep.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    2 thing

1.TWC have name this massive storm " HERCULES " don't ask why ?

2.This morning at 9.25am is -1 " yea so what " thought i throw it in !

- - - Updated - - -

I when out to breakfast for me and my mom " and what you know it " the city dept who handle snow removal did a bad jobs...........a really really really bad jobs !

like LAZYYYYYYYYYYY!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW

is 4* right now and i know tonight everything is going to freeze over !

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    No snow in the Netherlands yet. Looks like you're stealing all our snow!

No worries, I don't mind.

Good luck though.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    1.TWC have name this massive storm " HERCULES " don't ask why ?
    TWC decided to start naming "disruptive" winter storms back in 2012.

This is the 8th such storm this winter, so they're on the 8th name of this season's list, Hercules.

Previous storms this season were Atlas, Boreas, Cleon, Dion, Electra, Falco, and Gemini. Next names on the list are Ion, Janus, Kronos, Leon, and Maximus. Yes, they're leaning quite heavily on the Greeks and Romans.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-...-2014-20131001

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    no snow at all yet in south england
    Don't worry, it'll come. Most of the weather that hits the East Coast of the U.S. makes its way over the Europe, smashing into the U.K. first.

Dear America: Cry more. Sincerely, Canada.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well the next one is ION ?

For WNY
    Lake effect snow warning in effect from 11 AM this morning to 6 AM est Wednesday. Wind chill warning in effect from 6 PM this evening to 6 PM est Tuesday.

*Today*
    A chance of snow early...then lake effect snow from late morning on. Blowing snow from late morning on. Snow may be heavy at times this afternoon. Accumulation 3 to 6 inches in the most persistent snows. Very windy. Early morning highs in the lower 30s... Then temperatures falling to between 10 and 15. Southwest winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 45 mph...diminishing to 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

*Tonight*
    Lake effect snow. Blowing snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Additional accumulation 7 to 13 inches in the most persistent snows. Windy and much colder with lows zero to 5 below. Southwest winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph...becoming west. Chance of snow near 100 percent. Wind chill values as low as 30 below.

and in to wednesday as well " here we go again " but the highlight is for me is........NO CRACKHEAD / BUM HARASSMENT while i am out YAY!
    Last edited by WNYIRISHGUY; 2014-01-06 at 11:50 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    restart your window, and see if it still snows
    I love you. Let me just say. This was one of the best things I've read in ages on the interwebs! Thanks!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The Frost Mage Union is on strike again.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

This thread isnt what i thought it was :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    This thread isnt what i thought it was :/
    It is in General off-topic, you should expect weather here, not the on-topic company of discussion for mmo-champ.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I am in Rochester, NY and we got 20", plus we are going to get another 2 today, 3-5 tonight and 2-4 tomorrow. I hate snow. Oh, also going to be -20 with the wind chill!

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I thought the polar ice caps were melting, which in turn either lead to was caused by or was a huge factor of "global warming"? If that's the case then why have the polar ice caps actually expanded?

10+ Year Old Account
    -23 here this morning when I got up for work. I should've stayed in Australia.

As an aside, I love how people attribute every shift in weather patterns to man-made climate change. It's getting warmer? Must be man-made climate change! It's getting colder? Man-made climate change!
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    I thought the polar ice caps were melting, which in turn either lead to was caused by or was a huge factor of "global warming"? If that's the case then why have the polar ice caps actually expanded?
    How did you jump from "more ice" to "what about the polar caps"?

Aside : -36C with a -48C windchill this morning.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-01-06 at 03:55 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    How did you jump from "more ice" to "what about the polar caps"?
    Im no expert, but I thought that global warming was causing the polar ice caps to melt. When actually they are expanding so global warming wouldn't be possible? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-29-year.html "BBC reported in 2007 global warming would leave Arctic ice-free in summer by 2013"

Chelly
    Im no expert, but I thought that global warming was causing the polar ice caps to melt. When actually they are expanding so global warming wouldn't be possible? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-29-year.html "BBC reported in 2007 global warming would leave Arctic ice-free in summer by 2013"
    Oh boy here we go again.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/anta...aining-ice.htm
    Last edited by Chelly; 2014-01-06 at 04:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put the daily junk mail in the recycling bin and get your news from a worthwhile source. You're citing a tabloid.

The growth is basically a dead cat bounce. The 2.38 million km^2 growth is at the end of the graph, another "recovery!", bouncing it to slightly over 6.