Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

be happy with what you got!

i came across this clip, where an elderly Woman describes how she "lives" in syria.
    after watching it , i felt like crap. the poor woman has nothing, no food, no money, no medication... nothing.
    its just a small glimps on how it really is out there.
    and while 'we', the western folk, complain/rage/nag etc... when our internet goes down or when our phones dont work.

i did not post this to make ppl feel like crap or anything like that,
    the only reason why i did is to raise awareness.
    Be happy with what you got, cause it could be a hell of lot worse.

(for the forumtrolls: keep the racial/religion remarks out of here. this has nothing to do with the post. show some respect.)

Quote Originally Posted by mimz View Post
    i came across this clip, where an elderly Woman describes how she "lives" in syria.
    after watching it , i felt like crap. the poor woman has nothing, no food, no money, no medication... nothing.
    its just a small glimps on how it really is out there.
    and while 'we', the western folk, complain/rage/nag etc... when our internet goes down or when our phones dont work.

i did not post this to make ppl feel like crap or anything like that,
    the only reason why i did is to raise awareness.
    Be happy with what you got, cause it could be a hell of lot worse.

(for the forumtrolls: keep the racial/religion remarks out of here. this has nothing to do with the post. show some respect.)
    Using "It could be worse" as an excuse to ignore avenues and opportunity for social progress is exactly the precedent that leads to a Syria, or an Iran, or worse.

It could also always be better. For sure we should never forget about those who aren't as far along. But we also shouldn't use them as an excuse to forgo improvement in our own nations.

coming to america soon: be happy with what you got: illegal immigrants, welfare folks, and multi-billion dollar corporations took the rest.

Fascism: shit happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Using "It could be worse" as an excuse to ignore avenues and opportunity for social progress is exactly the precedent that leads to a Syria, or an Iran, or worse.

It could also always be better. For sure we should never forget about those who aren't as far along. But we also shouldn't use them as an excuse to forgo improvement in our own nations.
    Someone who gets it! Thank you!

There's a difference between keeping things in perspective and the examples you cited where you're giving someone money to do a job and they're not doing it properly.

We should also be careful not to lower our standards simply because other people have it worse. There are people whose condition should inform how we assess our own lives, such as those produce our textiles/electronics/etc in miserable conditions for pennies a day. That can and should be grounds for some soul searching. But the people in Syria are not in this position because of our prosperity and one region's religious and political dysfunction should not be used as an indictment of another's materialism.

This kind of an argument belongs in the "Look at how cheap these socks are" or "Hey there's cheap meat at the supermarket" discussions.
    Last edited by Sneezeburger; 2014-01-03 at 08:05 AM.

Deleted
    Being happy with "what i have" is what stops people from progressing.

Be happy with what you got is like saying at least we aren't be skinned alive while burning to death. Always strive for better. Yeah morbid comparison but it gets the point across.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffler View Post
    Being happy with "what i have" is what stops people from progressing.
    Well there's nothing with being happy with what you have if you're genuinely happy with what you have.

Deleted
    Be happy? Because no one in the western world could possibly have things worse than anyone in a 3rd world country? Hogwash.

Deleted
    Appreciating what you have, what you had and where you came from aren't mutually exclusive with dreaming about, hoping to have and striving for better. When you have no appreciation, you're basically unable to truly enjoy anything unless it quite literally blows your mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

how did you come to that from what i posted. did i mention that social progress is a bad or any such thing?
    the only thing i was trying to get out is, dont take things for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by mimz View Post
    how did you come to that from what i posted. did i mention that social progress is a bad or any such thing?
    the only thing i was trying to get out is, dont take things for granted.
    Well you referenced phone and internet service. Why should we not complain when we pay someone for something and we don't get it? All that does is enable companies to take advantage of people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneezeburger View Post
    Well you referenced phone and internet service. Why should we not complain when we pay someone for something and we don't get it? All that does is enable companies to take advantage of people.
    Making an official complaint with the hopes of getting what you paid for is a completely different thing than just complaining pointlessly about stuff, for example on forums. If you don't get what you paid for, then make an official complaint or a reclamation. If you still don't get what you paid for, then don't pay for shit like that again. Complaining about it makes zero difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Making an official complaint with the hopes of getting what you paid for is a completely different thing than just complaining pointlessly about stuff, for example on forums. If you don't get what you paid for, then make an official complaint or a reclamation. If you still don't get what you paid for, then don't pay for shit like that again. Complaining about it makes zero difference.
    It does though. Complaining is one of the ways mass movements start.

Deleted
    It does though. Complaining is one of the ways mass movements start.
    No dude. Being inspiring is how movements start. Complaining about things is about the least inspiring thing there is.

No dude. Being inspiring is how movements start. Complaining about things is about the least inspiring thing there is.
    Remember when the Xbox One was going to have always online DRM? Remember how everyone complained about how that was bullshit and Microsoft eventually backed down? Point me to the Nelson Mandela of that movement. Tell me how many of those who were complaining went to Microsoft.com and went through the formal complaint process. Or was it one person saying "Hey this is bullshit?" and another going "IT'S TOTAL BULLSHIT!" and a bunch of people complaining loudly enough for Microsoft to hear?

Deleted
    It's saddening how most people take this video as some form of "hinder of progress". In my humble opinion, I find it quite motivating, change yourself for the better so the world will change itself for the better. If we all do it, in time things will change. But when most of the people are a greedy bunch of assholes with barely any empathy left, where is the possibility to have a change?

Deleted
    I feel for the woman in the video I do, but I'm also tired of people saying be happy with what you have.

I strive for better all the time, it's tough out there, as a lower class in the UK like myself, finding a job and paying 99% of what I earn to live is hard, I'm 24 and unless I win the lottery I will never own my OWN home.

It's depressing, I wish one day we could all live in harmony and have the basics, a warm place to live, food, clothes and an internet connection

Deleted
    Remember when the Xbox One was going to have always online DRM?
    More a case of a change in design philosophy than developers and company executives somehow "bowing down" to the "will of the masses."

Quote Originally Posted by Rekkuza View Post
    I feel for the woman in the video I do, but I'm also tired of people saying be happy with what you have.

I strive for better all the time, it's tough out there, as a lower class in the UK like myself, finding a job and paying 99% of what I earn to live is hard, I'm 24 and unless I win the lottery I will never own my OWN home.

It's depressing, I wish one day we could all live in harmony and have the basics, a warm place to live, food, clothes and an internet connection
    As I said before, appreciating what you have isn't mutually exclusive with striving to have something better. You'll find you'll be very depressed in your forties and fifties if you don't learn to be happy with what you have - while still having all the freedom to strive for better.

If you're not satisfied with what you have now, and want something better, then you won't know how to be satisfied when you get that something better. You'll just constantly keep wanting something better, and never appreciating what you have. You'll never be satisfied, and you'll never be happy.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2014-01-03 at 10:38 AM.

More a case of a change in design philosophy than developers and company executives somehow "bowing down" to the "will of the masses."
    So you think the massive outcry from gamers had nothing to do with it?