Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Mistweaver mastery

I was wondering what do fellow mistweavers think of our mastery?
    Im not 90 yet so I cant speak for a raid perspective but IMO the orbs are too practical if you want the full benefit.
    Ive yet to see someone walk through them on purpose and in dungeons it only does around 5% healing.

Not to mention I wouldn't walk through them myself actually. especially in raids there are other things to focus on instead of walking through orbs on the ground.

I was hoping blizzard could change it into a more passive mastery for WoD

If you're interested in what the monk community thinks about our mastery please read the MW guide that is stickied to this forum. In a nutshell the scalars are bad and the actual idea behind the mastery is bad.

Avoid mastery like the plague.

MW 101: Crit is your friend. Mastery is the devil.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would make some simple changes to our Mastery to fix it. Spheres should spawn at the player's feet, not nearby. If the player still needs healing then the sphere heals the player immediately. If not, the next time the player is damaged they will be healed by the sphere. If they move the sphere stays where it is and anyone that needs it can run over it. Only 3 spheres can spawn at a location. Spheres last 30s unless glyphed. Spheres begin to pulsate when there is less than 10s remaining on the time.

Since there is a 3-sphere limit per player location (the small radius at the feet of the player) then Mastery should now affect the amount healed as well as the chance to spawn.

I would also add a cool down (45s) that when pressed increases the chance for spheres to spawn by 50-100% for 20s.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Our mastery is the only mastery in the entire game that requires outside participation....

Yea...it sucks....

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    Our mastery is the only mastery in the entire game that requires outside participation....

Yea...it sucks....
    Which is why spheres should spawn right on a player, not some distance away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkener View Post
    Which is why spheres should spawn right on a player, not some distance away from them.
    /sign
    dunno hat that would affect the pickup rate. Maybe also a little number increase and then it would be fine.

I would make some simple changes to our Mastery to fix it. Spheres should spawn at the player's feet, not nearby. If the player still needs healing then the sphere heals the player immediately.
    This is a terrible idea, for a number of reasons. First of all, mastery spheres don't spawn on 100% overhealing events, so unless your heal brings the person to 100% life, it will wind up with the spheres being consumed immediately upon summon, further exacerbating MWers' dominance of the overheal meters. Secondly, assuming you glyph for it, spheres not being picked up is not the main issue with the mastery; the issue is one of scaling (and having them fall through the world or be orphaned if the raid shifts to another area of the room). Adding additional itemization points in mastery does not increase healing done by spheres sufficiently, and it's much better to put itemization points into crit and haste. Furthermore, more orbs don't spawn on larger heals - see Reglitch's blog post about Revival and mastery for details. If you don't glyph for spheres, the issue is that the explosion radius (6 yds) is very tiny and unlikely to actually hit anyone. (Celestalon thought it was 20 yards, which may indicate things to come in WoD.)

Although I don't play my monk (I will in WoD), my friends tell me that It is bad. I'd rather the spheres spawn and then seek out injured players or something like that. I thought Blizz learned their lesson with the Priest's Lightwell. I'm hoping it gets addressed for WoD

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ground effect healing is a big part of every healer's toolkit. You don't hear resto shaman complaining that people have to stand in the blue circle for it to be effective. smart players just do. Same with green spheres, but in our case our ground effect healing doesn't require the raid to stack. Hence, it essentially provides your raid more freedom and flexibility. Moving to a spot to get a heal is nothing new for Monks, and it's not very hard. My only recommendation is that spheres that are within 10s of expiring should pulsate, drawing attention to them over ones sticking around longer.

In a raid environment, most people are not going to be actively searching for tiny green spheres on the ground.

Here's some ideas on mastery changes:

Percent chance on heal of spheres originating from the monk and floating slowly towards injured or random raid members within x yards. There could be some sort of cooldown per target so the game doesn't look like a bullet hell shooter. These spheres would not require the target to be injured to do healing.

Maybe have the mastery act like an improved JSS eminence for healing - % chance when healing to heal someone in x yards for y, with the monk being the originator of the healing.. Would use the JSS visual effect showing healing.

Perhaps mastery could interact with and enhance the JSS? Maybe have % of healing copied increased? This would help fistweaving more than standard healing, as the JSS only copies soothing mist. But it's a start.

Ever since I got the t16 2set bonus it's been a bit odd. If our mastery had always been an absorption shield (100%, not the set bonus) rather than a heal, it would have been far more competitive. It's also kind of funny that after they gave us what we asked for (they pop when left unused...but only healing those within close-up melee range) they attached a 30 second timer to it, and as soon as I discovered Glyph of Enduring Spheres my mastery healing has skyrocketed and I actually like it.

Our Mastery over all in 25M raid environments isn't all that poor. For geared Mistweavers, after haste breakpoint and crit, mastery is a better alternative than spirit.

Additionally for the actual throughput of the spheres they aren't that bad. On fights with alot of damage they do between 10-15% of your healing with the current tiers two piece which doesn't exactly beat some of the other healers mastery's but it isn't bad.

While occasionally spheres can go unused with the glyphed healing sphere most of the time they will be picked up before expiration. The fact is even if individual players don't move to pick up your spheres its unlikly that there will ever be a raid encounter in which you don't have to move throughout the entire fight. Furthermore, with 25 (even 20) players running around someone will run over your spheres.

I think the current tiers throughput increase through the tier bonus needs to be permanent for mastery to ever compete with crit but overall the current state of mastery isn't so terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollabakgirl View Post
    Our Mastery over all in 25M raid environments isn't all that poor. For geared Mistweavers, after haste breakpoint and crit, mastery is a better alternative than spirit.

Additionally for the actual throughput of the spheres they aren't that bad. On fights with alot of damage they do between 10-15% of your healing with the current tiers two piece which doesn't exactly beat some of the other healers mastery's but it isn't bad.

While occasionally spheres can go unused with the glyphed healing sphere most of the time they will be picked up before expiration. The fact is even if individual players don't move to pick up your spheres its unlikly that there will ever be a raid encounter in which you don't have to move throughout the entire fight. Furthermore, with 25 (even 20) players running around someone will run over your spheres.

I think the current tiers throughput increase through the tier bonus needs to be permanent for mastery to ever compete with crit but overall the current state of mastery isn't so terrible.
    1) The reason mastery is terrible doesn't have anything to do with how much or how little healing it does. It is terrible because the amount of healing it does doesn't change significantly if you gear for it. What we want is for mastery as a stat to be worthwhile, not for our mastery to do more healing.

2) It's not a given that mastery is better than spirit for 25mans. Several regular posters on these forums prefer spirit, because it allows for more glyphed Surging Mists (and it certainly helps on the RJW-heavy fights).

Quote Originally Posted by Hollabakgirl View Post
    its unlikly that there will ever be a raid encounter in which you don't have to move throughout the entire fight.
    Patch 7.1: Return of Ultraxion. Calling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakanai View Post
    1) The reason mastery is terrible doesn't have anything to do with how much or how little healing it does. It is terrible because the amount of healing it does doesn't change significantly if you gear for it. What we want is for mastery as a stat to be worthwhile, not for our mastery to do more healing.
    This is exactly it. Gift of the Serpent is a fine mechanic. It works oddly and isn't totally reliable and the orbs are picked up more on accident than anyone purposefully looking for them, but it's always been a good 8% of total healing.

What it suffers from is the exact same problem Uplift has, which is that you don't get to pick who the heal goes on and it could happen quite a while after the original heal that procced it, meaning it's not a reliable way to heal. Uplift has always worked in spite of that because it simply does so much raw healing, but if you put together a 20k mastery set and tried to use that during a boss fight you'd end up with decent HPS but literally no control over healing. If its rating ratio was simply bumped up by 100% it would actually be a godlike stat for throughput, but then Mistweavers would be in the 5.1 JJU phase again where they're not really choose who to heal, just putting up so much brainless HPS that it doesn't matter who it goes on. This proves that it's a problem with GotS being tied to a stat by design, not necessarily the way the mechanic itself works.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakanai View Post

2) It's not a given that mastery is better than spirit for 25mans. Several regular posters on these forums prefer spirit, because it allows for more glyphed Surging Mists (and it certainly helps on the RJW-heavy fights).
    While I agree that mastery could scale better by "gearing for it," this doesn't change my response to the thread owners actual question of "what do you think of our mastery?"

Secondly it was a mistake to declare that it was always a better alternative to go mastery over spirit, but personally I've found that in the majority of situations spirit has little effect on how much spamming of surging mist gets done so while increasing mastery rating is a throughput increase.

I always thought it would be cool if MW got a spell that vacuumed all spheres to target player. i.e.
    "sends all healing spheres within x yards towards the target, healing him for y for each sphere effected in this way."

Quote Originally Posted by deathgrip1092 View Post
    I always thought it would be cool if MW got a spell that vacuumed all spheres to target player. i.e.
    "sends all healing spheres within x yards towards the target, healing him for y for each sphere effected in this way."
    Still waiting to see what "Detonate Chi" will end up becoming. Your idea is much better than "it will do what your passive already causes it to do... but on command!" Especially, and I mean that word with all the emphasis of Gandalf reading Black Speech aloud, if they leave the "30 seconds till explode" part in as it would make the ability worthless even if they gave it a 20 yard range. (Currently 6 yards because... I assume fast typing without reading.) We could stack mastery above all else and those spheres wouldn't be plentiful enough to be an "on demand revival" by any means because they simply wouldn't be there. (And if the glyph made it so, they'd make that baseline or just remove the glyph and its effect entirely.)

If you're going to do that, then you might as well just make the mastery "X% chance to automatically heal the lowest player for Y amount". Which honestly wouldn't be that bad, considering MW's lack of a conventional AoE heal.

But yeah, MW Mastery as it is, is pretty much the weakest mastery in the game right now. Wondering how the fuck Blizz thought it was okay.