Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Born and living in the US, but I've been to Mexico, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Norway and Finland.

Also been to 47 of the 50 US states (missing Alaska, Hawaii and North Dakota).
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never left the USA unfortunately. We didn't have that kind of money when I was growing up to do that and I haven't had the opportunity since I've became an adult to do so either. Shit for that matter, I've never even been on an airplane to fly anywhere. Sad ain't it? lol!

Ultimately though, I do want to get my ass out of here one day and visit other places to see what its like outside of my bubble.

@jokerfiend F'n preach it brother man!
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo GPU: Sapphire Vega 64 w/ Morpheus cooler
    Mobo: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi ATX Ram: 4 x 16gb 3200 Gskill FlareX Case: Cosair Crystal 570X
    PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 850w SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Blue 500gb Mouse: Logitech G600

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't but that's because I'm a very vulnerable man.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Thats what fishing trips are for up in the great north.
    Fishing trips don't put you in a situation where you're in the cultural minority for a significant length of time. You don't spend a ton of time with people whose perspectives and world views differ drastically from yours, and you don't end up with crazy adventures in places where you don't even speak the language.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Fishing trips don't put you in a situation where you're in the cultural minority for a significant length of time. You don't spend a ton of time with people whose perspectives and world views differ drastically from yours, and you don't end up with crazy adventures in places where you don't even speak the language.

I beg to differ Reeve. Some of the accents and cultures are pretty different from what you know and used to even in your own country.

I think it's sad if an adult who honestly doesn't want to travel so much, goes on a long trip because "travelling broadens mind and helps you appreciate life".

I am currently on day 19 in Montreal (from Denmark) and I kinda wish I could get 1 hour with WoW. Different people different outlets.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've never left Canada. But I've been to almost every single province except Prince Edward Island. Am I missing anything by staying landlocked? I even spent a couple winters in Saskatoon.
    Yes, I think being landlocked makes you miss out on a lot, if that's what you're asking. I've traveled 15 countries on 5 continents (6 if you lump Oceania with Australia -- my honeymoon was in Fiji). If you've never left Canada, you're missing out on tropical beaches, savannahs, volcanoes that spew black lava, primates in the wild (excl. sasquatch/Oilers fans), rooftop cafes in Zanzibar, sprawling temple complexes, a ghost town made of salt brick, buildings carved into bedrock, centuries-old priceless works of art, metal bars for different subgenres, 800-year-old catacombs, the smell of cloves drying in the afternoon sun, and hermit crabs running around in your pocket because that seashell you found was occupied.

Those are just a few from my personal experiences.
    Last edited by Vulcanasm; 2014-01-03 at 09:33 PM.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

10+ Year Old Account
    I beg to differ Reeve. Some of the accents and cultures are pretty different from what you know and used to even in your own country.
    There's a pretty big difference between a different accent within Canada and going from Calgary to Dar Es Salaam. In Mozambique, I once had to lay off a village full of Swahili-speaking native people using my broken Portuguese because there were lions in the area we were having them work that were eating people (no one that worked for us). After laying them off, I fed the village dinner and the village headman was so honored he invited me into his 8 room thatch roofed mud hut and introduced me to his daughters. That's not an experience you can have on a fishing trip in Alberta.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2014-01-03 at 09:33 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    I think it's pretty common for US citizens to never leave the states.

Deleted
    The Netherlands, France, Austria, Germany, Luxembourgh, Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, Spain and England.
    Thats more then I tought, never left Europe tough :/

England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Poland, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Japan, Australia, Iraq, Kuwait and Qatar. More countries than I have been to different States in the US, lol.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Been to Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, China, Australia, New Zealand... Japan (sort of, never left the airport... doesn't count I know). Been to most of the States in the US, haven't made it to any Pacific coastal states yet.

Oh, I forgot Jamaica.
    ( ; , , ; )

Deleted
    nope , been to multiple European countries and north Africa

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never been out of the United States, save one trip when I was an infant to Tijuana, Mexico. I have been, however, to ~25 states in the United States, and let me tell you, some parts of Texas and Louisiana are fairly close to a different country.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who stay close to where they were born tend to have very limited world views. Then some of them come to internet forums and talk about world politics with very stupid opinions and make asses of themselves.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Staying in ones country and never going abroad and experiencing the things the world has to offer is like reading about swimming without actually trying it. Have you read about how to swim it'll feel like the world to actually do it. Experience different cultures, realize that "normal" is depending on where you are, actually feeling the warm sand between your toes, saying hello to someone you've never met in their own language just because, it's life altering experiences.

never left the U.S, so far i don't see a reason too. unless i flee this horrible fucking cold weather, but then i could just go to california.

I was born in Bulgaria and at age 7 I left and now live in Greece.
    The only time I ever went to another country other than those two was 2 years ago when I went to Munich, Germany for a week.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    I think it's pretty common for US citizens to never leave the states.
    It's very common. Re. my earlier post in this thread: I'm a US citizen, born and raised in the Chicago area. Most people I knew growing up don't even have their passports, and we're in our late thirties. The US is drowning in geographic isolation; its Randian hypercapitalism has only made things worse, because an average citizen can't even afford airfare in the United States!
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

10+ Year Old Account
    Never left my country either. Not that I have a passport nor the reason or will to deal with trying to get one right now anyhow.

Heck, live in the upper Mid-Atlantic (U.S.) and never even got to New York until last year. (And even then didn't get the chance to really see any of it - was at a table the whole time one of the days during the convention and went home by train after it.) Though I've otherwise been as far south as Florida several times and been in the Midwest.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-01-03 at 10:11 PM.