Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

World of Theorycraft: The 'Return to Outland' Expansion

Hey all, this topic is all about an expansion many have speculate about, and what it could possibly contain. I'll go through the typical things you should come to expect, and maybe a few extra bits.

PLOT
    So what would warrant a return to Outland? The only theory I managed to raise involved helping to cleanse any remaining threats to the ravaged planet. There could be old villains that were forgotten about since we ventured there in 2007 that weren't properly exterminated. I don't think the Burning Legion should return to this world, as quite frankly, it has suffered enough. We could have a short story involving some stupid nutter trying to open a portal that a few lesser demons enter through, but this would end. It could be over the course of an entire zone if the story warranted it.
    Another lingering thread is Baron Sablemane and his uncorrupted black brood. Wrathion arrives through the Dark Portal, and learns word of his brother. They have a mental and physical battle, and hopefully come to some truce/understanding. These 2 guys have potential, and to kill them off would be sloppy writing and anticlimactic.
    I think there wouldn't be enough to base a whole expansion back on Outland, so the following would instead continue the ever-present Burning Legion theme:

A NEW PLANET
    We haven't ventured much into space, so a new planet would be interesting to discover. I have no idea what it could be, or what races inhabit this place, but the adventurers discover it and help to defend it from the onslaught of some of the Legion's commanders/armies. How would we know about this place? Maybe The Exodar receives some distress signal, and now the Draenei muster their troops instead of sitting around, and aim to save a world (bad memories of seeing their homeworld become corrupted spur them to action this time).

The alternative:
    As we have seen from the map for Draenor for WoD, there is the Ogre empire continent in the SW corner. Maybe there also other continents on the other side of the planet, and some of these remnants are discovered in the Twisting Nether, still inhabited. We probably get there via portal or inter-dimensional ship, and maybe Turalyon and Alleria are there! (Hey, we need them back). Again, some Legion activity could be on these potential zones to continue the theme.

How to tie up the end of the expansion:
    As with The Burning Crusade, the plot and theme is brought back in the final patch (Maybe including the penultimate patch as foreshadowing), as some evil minds have attempted to contact the Legion, and use a portal to let the Legion's armies through, although hopefully it wouldn't be too derivative of Fury of the Sunwell.

RACES
    Seeing as we came back to Outland, we finally get Arakkoa for the Alliance and Ogres for the Horde. They do seem like the most logical choices. What race/class combinations would there be?
    Arakkoa
    Druid (I imagine they'd be taught by the Night Elves)
    Hunter (They could use those kaliri)
    Mage
    Priest
    Rogue

Ogres
    Hunter
    Mage
    Shaman
    Warlock
    Warrior

LEVEL RANGE
    I'd go with an extra 10, and instead of the choice between two starting zone you could alternate between planets if you got bored (If that'd work!).

OTHER INFO
    Dungeons
    7-10 at the start so more could be added in future patches. Again, the dungeons could alternate between worlds.

Bosses/Raids
    You'll have typical Burning Legion commanders/lower ranking officials for some raids, especially in later patches. Maybe some new races on a planet-those considered local threats (e.g. The Thunder King). There could also be non-Legion outer space threats that seek to invade either the new planets, or Azeroth. One raid could even take place in space, like fighting on an actively moving ship. A phase of a fight could involve using vehicle aerial combat, like against Malygos with those drakes.

So what do you think of my ideas/theories? Is there anything missing that you would like to add to keep the expansion interesting? All constructive criticism is welcome, just keep it civil.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Deleted
    Another Outland expansion would be bad for marketing; "Outland again? we've been there twice now! (post WoD)".

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft - Outland 2: Demon Boogaloo

Imagine having this expansion right after WoD that would be really stupid. Its not that great of an idea either way honestly because its a lot like Cataclysm where they'll end up rehashing old content and zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    yay! a third expansion on draenor

druid classes have to be balanced between horde and alliance.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    druid classes have to be balanced between horde and alliance.
    They don't have to be balanced exactly. There isn't an exact balance between Paladin and Shaman races, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a bunch of other portals scattered around Outland that were never got to see the other sides of - the ones in Zangarmarsh, Blade's Edge, and Nagrand. Could make for good dungeons or other interesting zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    They don't have to be balanced exactly. There isn't an exact balance between Paladin and Shaman races, either.
    Good point. I just had a look at the race page on wowpedia, so it's interesting to know the factions don't have the same number of classes on either side.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Deleted
    Kael'thas and Millhouse Manastorm having a slumber party. Also, remember the floating islands in Nagrand. The one with the skeleton? Well that skeleton belonged to Thrall's grandfather. How did he die? And there you go. A new expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Theorycraft is the mathematical analysis of game mechanics to discover the best strategies and tactics to maximize player effectiveness. It uses tools such as statistics, ability priority lists, and simulations to analyze strategies"

As per http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorycraft

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    "Theorycraft is the mathematical analysis of game mechanics to discover the best strategies and tactics to maximize player effectiveness. It uses tools such as statistics, ability priority lists, and simulations to analyze strategies"

As per http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorycraft
    It's not a real word. I obviously did it as a pun on the title. If you have any useful ideas to add, please add them.

I hope that WoD is the last time we visit this area. Outlands is by far my least favorite zone, but I love how Dreanor looks. I'd support an Outlands revamp if it didn't slowdown future updates and patches, but another entire expansion out there is just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    paladin and shaman will never be balanced between factions until blizzard grows a spine.

druid have to be balanced between the factions.
    2 for alliance and 2 for the horde right now.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

I thought this next expansion is featuring some outland zones (?!). we can't go back to the way it was, it just isn't possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xindralol View Post
    I thought this next expansion is featuring some outland zones (?!). we can't go back to the way it was, it just isn't possible.
    That's exactly what's happening - we're traveling back in time to the world of Draenor before it is destroyed and becomes Outland.

Modern Outland itself will remain largely unaffected according to Blizzard, so there's certainly room to add to it.

We need another cataclysm; one that will put Azeroth back the way it was before the first cataclysm expansion. If they do all these expansions correctly the final expansion will be vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    It's not a real word. I obviously did it as a pun on the title. If you have any useful ideas to add, please add them.
    #1 does a word have to be in the dictionary to be real? i guess jargon as a whole is just illiterate gibberish and not actual language.

#2 no way we're going to outlands a third time. it looks more like a request for arrakoa and ogres as playable races.

You mean Ethereals

I think we must be just about done returning to places now. Can we go somewhere new?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.