Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

New Character Models are almost as much a waste of resources as Cata World Revamp.

It's argued that the cataclysm old world revamp was responsible for limiting the development time of actual end game content in Cataclysm. And now blizzard might be repeating this same mistake because it will net them huge revenue when people use Blizzstore services to change character models to new races.

Unless you're an avid RP'er or WoW video creator what purpose do these new Skins/models really serve. You will still be hiding them under a layer of armor. Think of all the extra content that the art team could actually develop for the game. (More 5 mans, more challenge mode Armor, More mounts NOT SOLD ON BLIZZSTORE.) These model are fine as long as they do not take away from actual development time for user interacted content.

You guys are seriously making way to big a deal over updated models that will be covered in the long run and will become an after thought. And the more you harp on pointless content like updated character models you will be left in the dust when blizzard becomes lazy as you demand less ACTUAL GAME content.

Just remember every new skin/model is hours of work that could have been used else where. Or you can continue to spend 20$ on mounts that have more care and detail put into them then anything they release in the actual game.

The wow community as a whole is starting to let this company rot by expecting less and that's exactly what they are delivering.

Enjoy running around the next shrine equivalent naked as you have nothing to do... BUT MAN THOSE MODELS LOOK AWESOME WITHOUT GEAR!!!
    Last edited by ManOluck; 2014-01-02 at 11:11 AM.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Except there are exponentially more people wanting character updates than those who wanted the old world updated, Trying to shove your silly little opinion down peoples throats won't work here, Try another forum to get your kicks

10+ Year Old Account
    With the cata update no one saw it after they reached level 58 (which was really quick due to all the boosts) with this we will see the change every single time we login for the next 10 years... Also the animations are being updated too, play a female tauren then play a panda they feel drastically different panda feels and looks like it's slicing butter with a hot knife, tauren feels like throwing a brick at a piece of butter.
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2014-01-02 at 10:35 AM.

Deleted
    ok.

interdasting

Contribute constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-01-02 at 02:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Cata world revamp was a waste of rescources? For me it was the best thing they introduced with that expansion.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOluck View Post
    The wow community as a whole is starting to let this company rot by expecting less and that's exactly what they are delivering.
    I'm not so happy with the revamp, but I don't see how wanting the revamp is "expecting less"... Once again it looks like someone thinks that his opinion and priorities are the only proper ones and anyone else with different ones must be an idiot.

Better than N64 graphics. Welcome, 2014 models!

10+ Year Old Account
    The new models are more than just more pixels. We also get new animations, facial expressions and stuff. To many people, things like those are very important. It's similar to the barber shop. To many people, how their character looks and moves are extremely important parts of the game. I'd argue that it makes or breaks a class/race for some people when they see the casting animations.

Also: People whine so often about how WoW graphics look outdated and need a new engine blahblah. They also complain about lack of immersion blahblah. Having your character fit with "the pixels and polygons" of everything that surrounds them helps visual immersion a great deal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Better than N64 graphics. Welcome, 2014 models!
    N64 Graphics covering 2014 models.

Deleted
    Wrong.

All sorts of different development teams worked on cataclysm.

For the new models it's only the team that designs new models that are working on them.

I'd prefer a new model than a new raid/dungeon anytime.

People seem to ignore the fact that WoW is an MMORPG. RP makes a great part of the playerbase, and there's plenty of people who don't care about raiding or PvP, but they'd love to see their loved character looking more than a bunch of cubes and triangles.

Also I LOVED the Cata revamp, it made Azeroth interesting again.
    http://samaramon.co/
    My transmog & misc. blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post
    Wrong.

All sorts of different development teams worked on cataclysm.

For the new models it's only the team that designs new models that are working on them.
    O you mean the team that is responsible for mounts on the blizzard store? Because they sure as hell rarely make it into the game as part of your subscription.

15+ Year Old Account
    ... in your opinion.

However, in the opinion of myself (and judging by forum feedback, that of many other people as well) the character model updates are super popular and we are looking forward to them.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Samaramon View Post
    I'd prefer a new model than a new raid/dungeon anytime.

People seem to ignore the fact that WoW is an MMORPG. RP makes a great part of the playerbase, and there's plenty of people who don't care about raiding or PvP, but they'd love to see their loved character looking more than a bunch of cubes and triangles.

Also I LOVED the Cata revamp, it made Azeroth interesting again.
    Enjoy running around the next Shrine equivalent as you have nothing to do. But at least you look pretty doing it right?

Opinions are great, but don't try to portray them as Fact.

These Character Models, and the World Update of Cataclysm are / were both needed to keep all of the content cohesive. Aspects of the game age dramatically, and have the same quests for over 7 years was not fun at all. The newly developed 1 - 60 experience took a lot of resources from a lot of teams, but it was still essential to the game.

The models however are taking a lot more work, but from a smaller pool of teams, and as such the remaining content of the expansion certainly won't suffer as much as it did in Cataclysm.

Stood in the Fire Constellation's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait to rock on with my new character model

Deleted
    O you mean the team that is responsible for mounts on the blizzard store? Because they sure as hell rarely make it into the game as part of your subscription.
    Seriously? How many new mounts are released each tier, as opposed to say 1 every couple of tiers on the store?

I'm guessing that this thread is really just you venting your hatred cause you don't have money to spend on the store. Cause what you replied to me doesn't really match up with what I said in the first place..

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously hope you're joking.

For starters, the first in-game graphic a new WoW player sees is the character models. Now unlike many of us who have been playing WoW for years now, a new player to the game may not have much sense of nostalgia for the hideous character models from 2004 that we have.. I've personally witnessed people refuse to play the game because the human character models looked bad to them.

Shallow? Perhaps, but people want their characters to look good, and you DO see the front of your character every time you log out and log back into the game. That view can inspire you to keep playing, or make you feel so disgusted that you want to cancel your subscription.

Additionally, the old models look pretty crappy in the new armor. Its kind of jarring to see my flowing Asian inspired robes, and intricately designed armor over blocky figures.

New models takes precedent over any other update Blizzard may have had in mind. Its that important, and Its long overdue, and may actually cause me to roll a human male character for the first time.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2014-01-02 at 10:47 AM.

Won't even bother to read it. This thread is ignorant beyond comprehension.

Deleted
    It's argued that the cataclysm old world revamp was responsible for limiting the development time of actual end game content in Cataclysm.

How did a revamp that came at the start of the expansion lead to lack of endgame content when the game shipped with some excellent end game content? The content disappeared after FL by which time the expac had been out for over a year, so it makes no sense to blame the revamp that happened at the start.