Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why does everyone Hate Tirion Fordring?

IMO, he's a REALLY awesome character. Tons of great lore about him, grand questilines, etc. He's up there along with Thrall and Arthas as one of Warcraft's greatest characters. I really am clueless as to why he is hated so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got nothing against Tirion...

Eh's a pretty cool guy. He kills scourge and doesn't afraid of anything.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Do they? I like him.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the vast majority of the hate comes from him using the human racial at the last second to escape the ice block, allowing him to deus ex machina, conveniently saving the day. Outside that, I don't really think there's much to hate about him.
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    I think the vast majority of the hate comes from him using the human racial at the last second to escape the ice block, allowing him to deus ex machina, conveniently saving the day. Outside that, I don't really think there's much to hate about him.
    I never thought of it that way. 10/10

Deleted
    I could make a thread "why does every one hate xyz" it would have the same impact...

He's kind of a loot-pig. He came a long way from brushing toupees for his greasy pigs out on the shore of some forgotten river in the plaguelands to where he is now, demanding all of the god-property loot to himself. He wasn't satisfied with Ashbringer either, he tried to take the Helm of Domination, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure that he was supposed to be using his faith in the light in the face of overwhelming darkness to bring justice down upon Arthas.

Plus, it's slightly better than him just happening to blunder in at the last second and mop everything up, like Maiev, or just literally standing around the entire time like Thrall... (twice)
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Really? I know people have now some sort of hate towards Thrall, Varian, Vol'jin or such characters...

But Tirion? He watched how his kid died, yet he kept going and is a crucial character in WotLK (breaking Arthas' heart, creating the Argent Crusade, etc.) He even would've put himself the Lich King's helm if it wasn't for Bolvar...

...seriously, is there something to hate from this guy? xD

While that is pretty funny, its hardly a deus ex machina. There is more than sufficient set up for Tirion and the Ashbringer to be the counter to the Lich King and Frostmourne. Hell, the DK starting zone finale shoves that in your face

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    IMO, he's a REALLY awesome character. Tons of great lore about him, grand questilines, etc. He's up there along with Thrall and Arthas as one of Warcraft's greatest characters. I really am clueless as to why he is hated so much.
    Thrall? *pukes*

He might be as iconic as them, but I find Tirion actually bearable. An interesting character whose backstory didn't bank on being in the RTS games. The storyline with his son in Vanilla was one of the few actually interesting ones, and it was nice to see him get his due.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-01-04 at 06:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by H3llhog View Post

...seriously, is there something to hate from this guy? xD
    All the "dark, angsty" players that would decry his righteousness and state that yadda yadda... too goody-goody yadda yadda... angst yadda yadda... Sylvannas is the only good character yadda yadda... the light is a shadow of the glibness of... something... yadda yadda.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

imo I don't really care about the character. Some people might have a problem with him being a hypocrit (How he believes that the scourge is major threat but believes the Forsaken are okay). It might be his story thought. Blizzard portrayed him as 'the chosen one' or the 'champion of the light' but it's rare you see an older person as the chosen one (probably a mentor for the chosen one). Maybe it's just kind of unreal for the character to do nothing for 4 years and then somehow become a major character.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    hes a fine char .well he does not have a lot lot alot lore leke u say + kills undead when he have sword equal to frostmourne even u would not be afraid of undead in RL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    While that is pretty funny, its hardly a deus ex machina. There is more than sufficient set up for Tirion and the Ashbringer to be the counter to the Lich King and Frostmourne. Hell, the DK starting zone finale shoves that in your face
    That's not even the point, though. I didn't say anything about Ashbringer because it wasn't relevant. Ashbringer doing what it did isn't really surprising. What's relevant is that he made a desperate prayer to the Light (how can you pray while being frozen solid btw, idk) and at the very last second, after all the heroes are in fact laying dead on the ground, he pops his racial, magically breaks his bonds, jumps in the air, cuts Frostmourne in half and saves the day. And we get all resurrected by Arthas' dead daddy (resurrection isn't even lore, supposedly) , which just piles even more deus ex machina on the whole fiasco. He could've just racialed off the bat? "But he wasn't desperate enough yet for that to work!" Well, I say that is an awfully convenient excuse to keep his ass frozen for 15 minutes until the LK is bragging about his victory and all that shi---OH SHIT IT'S TIRION THX BUDDY.
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2014-01-04 at 06:51 AM.
    Look! Words!

I never really gave much thought of him, until obviously WOTLK. Never quested in the plaguelands (which I believe he was there in vanilla, something about his son?) Always like the Ashbringer though. Was it the original whispering sword?

I argued with people on wowinsider about this for awhile.

apparently some of them are
    -He betrayed his country to save an innocent man.
    -He fought against men trying to kill him and said innocent man
    -He lived his own life secluded from his country which banished him.
    -He didnt think of the impact to his family when he saved an innocent man.
    -He let his son live his life as the man saw fit and didnt magically time-stop everything in order to save his son.
    -He allied with agents of death.
    -He renamed (i.e. Destroyed....apparently) the Silver hand.
    -and other than the 2 plots that have been going on the entire wrath expansion** i think the list stops about there. Oh wait.
    -He hasnt wasted many lives of an organization including members who's families exist in the horde, in order to attack one of the many nations within the most powerful war machine (the horde) on the planet and raze the Forsaken to the ground for their crimes against humanity.

Just replace each of those points with a biased condescending and pseudo-racist version of itself and you have their arguments.

But there are people out there who still think the Alliance occupying a civilian outpost and releasing its citizens into freedom is worse than the Forsaken wiping a civilian settlement off the face of the earth with no provocation. so what can you say *shrug*

**1)Everyone of Tirion's actions has been aimed at taking him down. including getting the most powerful artifact of the light to Northrend safetly. Sneaking onto the continent. Opening the organization to ALL who seek to end the lich king INCLUDING forsaken. Creating a powerful base at the foot of Icecrown. Attempting to Save Arthas, attempting to end him when he fails. Raising the most powerful champions of the horde and alliance so they dont just give Arthas Minions.
    2)Everyone of the Lich King's actions has been aimed at increasing the power of us adventurer's so he can turn us into the ultimate unstoppable army. Seriously his MASTER EVIL PLAN was to USE THE PLAYERS TO DESTROY THE WORLD. Of course there had to be a moment when he almost succeeded.

Because he wont let me borrow that sword for awhile... I'll give it back eventually! I promise!

15+ Year Old Account
    Because he stole our victory. Everything we did in WotLK was in vain because he went and saved everything with a miracle of Light. We might've as well sat on our asses the entire expansion, he'd defeat LK in one hit anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    he cockblocked the lk kill

well his racial has nothing to do with it. Resurrection spells at the ease of use that players have them is a game mechanic. It IS possible to bring things back from the brink of death.

Praying requires thinking. You can think while immobilized.

It isnt a convenient excuse. He did his damned best to fight Arthas and was bested. Then we had an ARMY fighting him, the best warriors that ever existed on the planet and they all died. There was NOTHING to stand in the way of Arthas at that point and as it so often does the Light utilized the last bastion that was willing to accept its aid.

And he's only frozen for 15 minutes if you do a bad job of killing him.

The Lich King isnt even defeated by Tirion or the players. He is confounded by the thousands of soul he took lashing back out at him and while so confounded we stop him.