Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berri View Post
    Is there such thing as an 'inconsequential' level of gamma radiation?
    Actually yes. Gamma radiation is basically a fatal type of radio signal. It is made of electrons and travels at or near the speed of light. You don't store a gamma particle. It has to go from point A to point B in the straightest line possible, it can be effected by gravity.

This is why people blaming radiation in the ocean have no idea what radiation is. Most of the lasting Radiation pollution is made up of heavy metals which gain to many electrons from exposure from Gamma. ie Iron, Zinc, Mercury, Carbon is also surprisingly good at storing electrons. So radioactive waste is never gamma particles, or any other source radiation, they are elements with to many electrons and the shed these electrons as radiation. The ocean is a sponge for radiation, as such if radioactive materials enter the water the electrons are striped and passed amongst the other H2O molecules until a balance is reached. Sunlight has more radiation in one day on the ocean than humans have ever produced in all our history.

As I said, the bits of old homes on the ocean with lead based paints are what trouble me. Not radiation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackfan View Post
    Want to hear a highly regarded scientist talk about it on CNN? Here you go:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwg0r9R1aFE

and another one where he says his family has moved out of Tokyo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STSmFZeE50E
    I just watched that first link, and frankly the title the person who posted that video gave, is unbelievably irresponsible and misleading. He did not say that it was the worst nuclear disaster in history. He said it could be the most expensive cleanup. The difference is vast. He said NOTHING in that interview that has not been mentioned on this thread and accepted. He said that there were noticeable differences in radiation levels - but that those differences were absolutely miniscule. The journalist then says that surely that's terrifying and suggests it can only be a bad thing. Absolutely bloody bollocks, if anything that's a testament to how damn good we've got at detecting miniscule levels. We can measure out femtograms, we can shine a laser for attoseconds. Fucking easy. Our detection skills are phenomenal. Michio Kaku does not predict doom or say anything that wasn't common knowledge, he even said that outside of the area where it happened, the levels barely moved. He said that stuff increased but barely - that is equivalent to "10 times nothing is still nothing". He said all the stuff that backs up the "it'll be fine" argument without actually stating that there's nothing to be afraid of at all. Because he wouldn't get paid if they gave him money and to explain an unknown issue and he told the truth which is "Honestly I don't know why you're worrying". He didn't lie, he didn't hide things, he just left out that one line.
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2014-01-05 at 03:48 AM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Let me fly out my window and help the world with my super powers and unlimited money, you should too OP!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackfan View Post
    Want to hear a highly regarded scientist talk about it on CNN? Here you go:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwg0r9R1aFE

and another one where he says his family has moved out of Tokyo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STSmFZeE50E
    Scientists aren't immune to bullshit, good thing one person doesn't get to decide policy.

On a side note, I never understood this fascination people have with Michio Kaku.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The entire situation was handled poorly and has put countless lives at risk. Not just human lives, either - it's the sort of thing that'll be causing problems for a very long time but as is the case with this sort of thing there's unlikely to be any accountability as those responsible are very rich, very powerful and even after handling the situation poorly there's hardly anyone out there who can hold them accountable. Much like when a politician does something horrid but ends up getting a slap on the wrist, a fanfare as they resign and then secures a well paid job elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think these videos will shed some light on the subject. All in all, not much to worry about.

http://youtu.be/1ZqcxI_XATI

http://youtu.be/Zw33AVqzQxA

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I stopped at the bolded part... Why you ask... because of the bolded part... you DONT start a serious discussion with an opening like that... and 'honestly'.. someone is talking about it... YOU are... perhaps you want a mulligan on your opening...
    I carried on reading and checked all his sources and found none of them supported what he was saying in the 1st post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brikhous3 View Post
    You guys are all being inconsiderate to the poster and his issue. Which is basically what the poster is saying.
    -People just don't give a rats ass of whats going on, even if they eat it.-
    THERE IS A BIG ISSUE. And its all being thrown under the table. But its not the only issue we have; like last years first ever in history 300mph typhoon. All this bad stuff is happening to our beloved planet and we just keep on taking shit for granted like a bunch of little children. We all know of these issues and more, but we are all just big slobby pussies and wont do anything about it. I mean cmon people wake the fuck up.
    There is certainly a big issue but it isn't being ignored by the mainsteam media. Maybe it's not on the main news bulletin every single night but it's on there sometimes when there is something new to report and it's regularly covered online..

The problem most of us have is that the OP posted bold claims and then when we asked for some sources for what he was saying (not to be rude... just to see what he was talking about) he was basically abusive. Then upon inspecting the sources he linked they said nothing like what he was saying in his post.

If there is some evidence lets see it.. I'm not even asking for solid proven evidence. Just something. So far all i've heard is polar bears are losing fur and getting lesions (on further inspection of sources it was going on long before Fukushima) and some jelly fish are dying due to some bacterial infection (possibly due to their immune system becoming weaker... The cause of which we don't know).

There's problems in the environment and there were long before Fukushima. Fukushima also has serious problems. It doesn't mean we have to link every problem in the environment to Fukushima though.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2014-01-05 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemsu Hov View Post
    It would take a serious idiot to claim the radiation that is killing fish and sea birds, turning starfish into goo, and giving other marine animals such as polar bears hair loss.
    To claim what about the radiation? Or just claim it in general?

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched the video with the scientist. He's talking about the dangerous of the reactor plant itself. He points out that yes, there is radiation elsewhere... But not dangerous. Not now. As long as things dont get worse, not a big deal.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    On another note, people that care so much about oceanic wildlife, I give you one of the biggest threats: Plastic!

I care. I stopped eating any and all sea food (Which wasn't much, tuna at best)

I used to live in NorCal, and when I left in 2012, debris was already beginning to wash up there so I know for a fact with my own eyes that it's real. People only care about problems as long as it affects them, and when it doesn't, they forget all about it.

It is a real problem and between this, and Japan habitually overfishing and whaling, they're hell bent on destroying the world from the oceans up, which are 100% necessary for the lasting duration of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandaemonium View Post
    I used to live in NorCal, and when I left in 2012, debris was already beginning to wash up there so I know for a fact with my own eyes that it's real. People only care about problems as long as it affects them, and when it doesn't, they forget all about it.

Debris? The plant didn't blow sky high, what debris? Are you sure it wasn't from some rusty crap oil tanker running under a 3rd world country flag that was ran to the ground because a US company needed to save 5 cents/gallon in transporting cost?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Debris? The plant didn't blow sky high, what debris?
    A lot of people confuse the Fukushima event with the giant earthquake and tsunami that caused it.

Most of the debris was from that, and is not irradiated.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A lot of people confuse the Fukushima event with the giant earthquake and tsunami that caused it.

Most of the debris was from that, and is not irradiated.
    I'm still going with debris from some enviromental catastrophy cost by an american corporation, sounds more reasonable than Tsunami debris from i-dont-know-how-many-thousand-miles-away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overstating the Fukushima disaster isn't going to make people pay more attention to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    I'm still going with debris from some enviromental catastrophy cost by an american corporation.
    I'm honestly not sure if that's sarcasm or not... But yeah, it actually is from japan most likely. It's been very well documented.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm honestly not sure if that's sarcasm or not... But yeah, it actually is from japan most likely. It's been very well documented.
    Damn you ocean currents, you some crazy freaking things!

I care OP. I always saw the quake as the least worst thing when compared to the plant's problem.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I care OP. I always saw the quake as the least worst thing when compared to the plant's problem.
    Thats.. confusing. The quake and tsunami killed over 15,000 people. The reactor problem killed... none? So far no radiation deaths occured. I don't think any actual explosion deaths either. How can you possibly say the quake was the 'least worst'?

Deleted
    Let's everybody talk about every big bad thing that happens in the world, forever. Oh wait. Not enough time