job hunting question

So I'm working on a cover letter to send with my resume to a job opportunity. As far as attaching it to my resume would a paper clip be more professional or would a staple be better?

Deleted
    Does it matter? The fact you are including a cover letter at all puts you ahead of a lot of people.

Paperclip.

It's annoying to fold over a staple, or have to rip it apart. Either way, Rich is right. A cover letter puts you miles ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Does it matter? The fact you are including a cover letter at all puts you ahead of a lot of people.
    I prefer to be as professional as possible with things like this. I just forgot what they told us about this in my tech writing class two semesters ago. I don't graduate with my degree til spring but this job has been up for a while. So I want to put in for it as a job I will take in May. Or as a part time basis until I graduate in spring so I can finish my degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea with snail mail, I got my job through having several friends get on with a company and we kept referring our friends in. I read an article recently that said some absurd % of hiring managers find their new hires via social media like Linkedin. In my interview with this company I mentioned that I checked out all the various media the company uses like facebook and twitter and liked what I saw, them posting pictures of office parties/out of office fun time like a bowling night or something. They were really impressed that I took the time to look into the other aspects of the company other than the actual job, that I was looking for a place that I would actually enjoy working.

As for the paper clip vs staple thing...I'd say staple at the top most corner, papers clips can come off.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I'm working on a cover letter to send with my resume to a job opportunity. As far as attaching it to my resume would a paper clip be more professional or would a staple be better?
    If you're sending it in paper format like that, I'd consider it more professional to use neither. Just tri-fold it nice and tidy in the proper way (so when they open the first fold they see the top of your cover letter).

What kind of job are you applying for that would expect to receive snail mail?

Anyway, no matter what, follow up in some way within a couple days of when you think they received it. I'd also double up and give them a .pdf version of both the cover letter and resume if you have an email contact with a hiring person or HR.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2014-01-05 at 10:08 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    If you're sending it in paper format like that, I'd consider it more professional to use neither. Just tri-fold it nice and tidy in the proper way (so when they open the first fold they see the top of your cover letter).

What kind of job are you applying for that would expect to receive snail mail?

Anyway, no matter what, follow up in some way within a couple days of when you think they received it. I'd also double up and give them a .pdf version of both the cover letter and resume if you have an email contact with a hiring person or HR.
    I'm not mailing it period. I will be taking it in to the place in person. It's an IT job.

Deleted
    DEFINITELY paperclip.

What?? You're handing something in in person??? That's only good for interviews or job fairs where you're face to face. If you don't do it face to face then do everything online. Send PDF versions.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh sorry you're going in person. Paperclip is better.

I'm not mailing it period. I will be taking it in to the place in person. It's an IT job.
    That works.

Make sure to get contact info (at least an e-mail, phone if you can) to follow up on it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, you're doing pretty much all the right things, mate. The only thing missing is "I plan to call them in two-three days to see if they've read my resume."

If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

I'm actually kind of nervous. they're asking for a bachelors degree and I'm only graduating with my associates in the spring. However I have a job in the IT department at the college I'm attending so I'm getting on the job xp. Plus I'll be working on some certificates this summer too. I already have my fiberoptic cert.

I'm actually kind of nervous. they're asking for a bachelors degree and I'm only graduating with my associates in the spring. However I have a job in the IT department at the college I'm attending so I'm getting on the job xp. Plus I'll be working on some certificates this summer too. I already have my fiberoptic cert.
    Do it regardless. Worst case is nothing comes of it, and your resume is ignored. On the other hand, if you somehow manage to make an impression, they may decide to overlook the lesser degree.

Deleted
    i'd say paperclip, staples are just annoying, especially when they're put too far down the page and you can't turn pages properly.

Deleted
    I prefer to be as professional as possible with things like this. I just forgot what they told us about this in my tech writing class two semesters ago. I don't graduate with my degree til spring but this job has been up for a while. So I want to put in for it as a job I will take in May. Or as a part time basis until I graduate in spring so I can finish my degree.
    Different people have different ideas, one will think paperclip is best and another thinks staples are better. So just choose either, it's a 50% chance of succes depending on who gets it in his hands.

That said, they won't give a flying fuck lol...any company hiring somebody over another over a paperclip won't last long.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zannis View Post
    Do it regardless. Worst case is nothing comes of it, and your resume is ignored. On the other hand, if you somehow manage to make an impression, they may decide to overlook the lesser degree.
    You never got anything to loose, send it in either way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    That works.

Make sure to get contact info (at least an e-mail, phone if you can) to follow up on it.
    Email is pointless and easy to be ignored. Get a phone number, doesn't even matter how close the phone number is related to the person reviewing it. They can always put you thrrough to the right person.

When I was looking for a job I read that HR like to photocopy resumes/cover letters which is kind of annoying when you have to remove a staple.