Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Is saying somebody "Looks Hungry" an insult???

I guess because the girl is fat she got offended.

So this is what happened and you guys can tell me if i insulted her or not.

Yesterday at work i was in the lunch room washing my lunch box and fork, i left my fork and lunch box unattended for about 5 seconds to get tissues to dry them. When this fat girl in the office kept looking at my fork and was walking up attempting to take it to use for herself.

Then i stopped her and said "excuse me thats my fork"
    and her reply was "You can't just eye that fork and say its yours"
    i said "No!! its my fork i brang it from home, just because you look hungry doesnt mean you can take peoples fork n use it"

Now she got offended by that and reported me to the HR team.
    I didnt get in trouble but they spoke to me about it and said she was offended and thought of it as an insult.

Let me get this straight just because she is fat im not allowed to say she looks hungry?
    what if she was skinny and i said that, would that be an insult???

what do you guys think? Did i do say something offensive? or is she just a sensitive person because of her weight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think it was the usage of the words "looks hungry" that got her riled up, but it was the tone that you probably used to say them. Might have been better to say something like "Just because you need a fork doesn't mean I'll let you use mine from home." Or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

Deleted
    She can call you skinny and it is not an insult (even though it actually is) call her fat and it is abuse and bullying, those are the rules.

Some people are just too sensitive or rude. Just ignore her from now on and move on with your life. She isn't worth even a slightest thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    Don't think it was the usage of the words "looks hungry" that got her riled up, but it was the tone that you probably used to say them. Might have been better to say something like "Just because you need a fork doesn't mean I'll let you use mine from home." Or something like that.
    I'll admit my tone wasn't very nice, but her tone was the same as mine, she was basically saying to me just because i saw that fork doesn't mean its mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    She can call you skinny and it is not an insult (even though it actually is) call her fat and it is abuse and bullying, those are the rules.
    And this is what I hate about our PC society...

-Grim

Deleted
    You obviously meant it as an insult since you call her fat multiple times, that said she sounds a bitch

Yeah, it's pretty much an insult. That she's bothered by it says more about her than you though. Also, fuck every HR department in existence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    I'll admit my tone wasn't very nice, but her tone was the same as mine, she was basically saying to me just because i saw that fork doesn't mean its mine.
    If you told her that just because you wanted to be a dick, you should just accept being reported! If you would have told anyone else that :> well dunno.
    But yeah the tone robably matters too!

10+ Year Old Account
    She is a moron for trying to steal your fork. Then again the job probably isn't very prestigious if brang is part of your vocabulary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

you didn't get in trouble, so who cares?

overly sensitive people are a pain in the ass. if you don't absolutely HAVE to deal with their shit, don't deal with their shit. just keep your distance, and keep your eating utensils away from people that "look hungry" lol
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    You obviously meant it as an insult since you call her fat multiple times, that said she sounds a bitch
    But she is fat??? what am i suppose to say? she is a large person?
    stop sugarcoating it and making them think its ok to eat as much as they want without any consequences.
    if somebody is fat then its not an offence to tell them.
    I wish i could go out and indulge in the nicest food all day everyday, but i have self control.
    And please dont use some medical problem as an excuse as well

I believe the correct term is "Person of Size".

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    you didn't get in trouble, so who cares?

overly sensitive people are a pain in the ass. if you don't absolutely HAVE to deal with their shit, don't deal with their shit. just keep your distance, and keep your eating utensils away from people that "look hungry" lol
    yeah i didnt get in trouble because i told HR my side of the story, but they said she got offended by that and asked me if i wanted to apologize, i said "NO!! i am not apologizing i did nothing wrong" and that was that

Deleted
    stop sugarcoating it and making them think its ok to eat as much as they want without any consequences.
    if somebody is fat then its not an offence to tell them.
    I wish i could go out and indulge in the nicest food all day everyday, but i have self control.
    And please dont use some medical problem as an excuse as well
    That's your choice, but expect abuse returned

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I believe the correct term is "Person of Size".
    these "correct terms" are getting more and more annoying by each passing day. there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the word fat, people just made a monster out of it for no reason.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    these "correct terms" are getting more and more annoying by each passing day. there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the word fat, people just made a monster out of it for no reason.
    but it is what it is,

Holy shit, is this really what happens in offices?

Wait, of course it is. Someone complained to my manager because I have long hair as a man. Not that she could do anything about it, but still.

At any rate, on a more serious note, it was probably more the tone used rather than anything else. People can complain to HR about anything they want... It doesn't mean HR can actually do anything, like in your anecdote and mine. But they can still make the complaints.

Pretty much everything these days is an insult to somebody. iirc there was an article a while back about Peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches are racist. Honestly these days it's best to avoid contact with all people and pray you don't breathe in the wrong direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    She is a moron for trying to steal your fork. Then again the job probably isn't very prestigious if brang is part of your vocabulary.
    Not everywhere in the word do people speak english, don't be an asshole about it.