Poll: When preparing ramen noodles, do you add the flavoring powder before or after heating

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Ramen Noodle Preparation Question

As the poll reads: when preparing ramen noodles, do you add the flavoring powder before or after heating? Is there a reasoning behind your choice or do you do it 'just because'.
    "It is a demonstration of incomprehensible hubris to quote one's self, especially in one's own forum signature."
    ¬PetersenIII

Deleted
    After...

Never really gave thought to it before, but i tend to drain the noodles a little if i have too much water in them.

So... I guess that?

I add it in the bowl after i put the noodles in there, so i dont lose any of the flavoring in the broth i dump down the sink.

After. I, too, drain a ton of the water out after they are done cooking.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Cup o Noodle soup is the only thing I've eaten.

I've had many heated debates with my fellow Asians about this. We concluded that no one knows why.

Boil
    Cook
    Drain
    Flavor

10+ Year Old Account
    After heating, and then while it is still hot I add a couple slices of cheese and additional spices so the cheese melts into the soup making it nice and creamy.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    I put it in after boiling the water but before adding the noodles

I always add the flavor packet after I'm done boiling the noodles. I also add some other seasonings as well as worcestershire sauce. yummie!

10+ Year Old Account
    -I cook it in the water for 1 minute 30 seconds.
    -Stir in the sauce mix.
    -Cook for an additional 1 minute 30 seconds.
    -Let sit (seriously it matters) for like 30 seconds.

I do it before heating, I guess I'm doing it wrong.

I walk down the street and stop in at a random Ramen shop.

I follow the directions.

Boil water, add noodles, cook 3 minutes, turn off heat (don't move pan), add seasoning packet and stir, pour into soup bowl after 1 more minute on the still hot stovetop.

I've tried it drained and then with the seasoning packet added and it tasted like a mouthful of salt (that seems to be how all the white guys I've known ate it, so I tried theirs once... ONCE). No like. It's a noodle soup, dangit! If I just want noodles without soup, I'll go ahead and make yakisoba.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

More importantly when do you add the Sriracha sauce?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    I do it before heating, I guess I'm doing it wrong.
    You can't do it wrong as long as it tastes good and you aren't giving yourself food poisoning.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before. It's my hope that it'll infuse the noodles directly with more flavor, rather than having all the flavor in the broth.

- - - Updated - - -

I also sometimes cook it dry and crumbled with the flavoring packet and cheddar cheese, then mix it together. I call it a cheesy ramen souffle.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

i put it in the trash that powder is horrid for ya... then place a slice a cheese over the noodles to thicken it up some...

10+ Year Old Account
    The ones that come in the plastic wrapper...don't like em.

If it counts still though I'm addicted to that Nissin brand beef teriyaki chow mein. Flavoring for that goes in after cooking. Cup Noodles also acceptable, though I ignore the directions and microwave it.

I use my own home-made chicken stock, so I never add in the flavor packet. Instead, I keep the packet off to the side and use it in place of bullion cubes when making French Onion soup. ^_^