Deleted

[SV] Barrage and lots of stacked adds

So, last week we managed to kill Sha of Pride in 25m heroic and I was wondering about the use of Barrage in this fight. I use this talent for most of the fights in SoO and it's really great, especially in situations when multi-shot won't hit everything like clusters of adds on Norushen or Protectors in general. But I was wondering if I wasn't better off just spamming multi-shots on Sha since everything spawns in one spot once we gather for self-reflection.

After the raid I compared my aoe damage (my barrage, his glaive toss, improved serpent sting, multishot) to my equally-geared hunter friend and he comes out on top by a nice chunk. Some of it might have been due to lucky/unlucky TotH and/or trinket procs, but I get the feeling that barrage may have dragged me down there.

I haven't found anything specific, so I was wondering if any of you know something about the use of Barrage vs. multi-shot with and without TotH procs as well as with and without Rapid Fire on 10+ mobs. (can't get any more obscure than that, can it?)

You have to post logs if you want us to actually figure out what the difference was, but it's pretty safe to say barrage was not holding you back. If you don't want to post logs, look at it like this: compare the damage done by improved serpent sting plus multishot to the damage done by barrage, and then compare the amount of time and focus each used. I'd be amazed if even in the worst case scenario with no bonus haste and TOTH active you were better off not casting barrage (after one multishot to start serpent sting ticking at least).

It's much more likely the difference is down to procs (cloak proc timing is huge in this case, also trinkets and TOTH like you said) or who had the power of the titans buff at the lucky times. Or you could have been banished before the adds died sometimes.
    Last edited by Thursley; 2014-01-31 at 03:05 PM.

If you didn't use any multishots to hit the adds and dot them up with SS, along with using barrage, then you are indeed correct - he's going to do far more AOE dmg than you. Utilising both multi and barrage is the best output, though.
    That being said, those adds are completly inconsequential, and you're better off having whichever tank isn't tanking them pick them up and just cleave them down slowly (and let warlocks build insane amounts of embers etc). They do no real damage.

Deleted
    well, this is kinda embarassing. I took a closer look at the logs just now (before I just analyzed the overall, not how the lines in the graph looked) and it seems like I stuck to the boss right after we popped bloodlust and blatantly ignored the first add spawn sub 30%. I don't know what the fuck I was doing, but that one moment seems to be the "missing" aoe damage on my part.

Unfortunately the adds aren't inconsequential with the strategy we're utilizing. I'm no raidleader so I don't have any say in it, but for whatever reason our fury warrior usually tanks them with some cooldowns thrown in, so they do have to die within a certain amount of time, especially on the last wave before 30%.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys
    Last edited by mmocf040b0fa49; 2014-01-31 at 03:54 PM.

Strat wise, far simpler to have the tank pull the little adds into the center for cleave damage and have the raid focused on single target. The only adds that matter are the corrupted fragment and big add, both of which are single target.

They might have weak tanks and that's one reason for doing it the way they do. Feel sorry for you guys but reguardless GG on the kill.

The first wave of adds after 30% is only about as big as the first wave of adds in the fight because everyone's pride has been reset, so that shouldn't make a HUGE difference. The second wave after 30% is massive, however. The boss should be pretty close to dead by then, so it's pretty common to ignore that wave and just let the tanks hold them while you finish the boss. Especially because the danger ramps up quickly and if you take too long at this point people will start to die, and the adds do nothing but waste DPS time if they're on a tank (plus the tank gets tons of vengeance to drop the boss faster). Of course, people who care more about WOL ranks than killing the boss will AOE them rather than finishing the fight, but it's pretty easy to call them out on that later when you post the logs.

Deleted
    As long as the adds die, the AoE damage done on Sha of Pride is very, very, very unimportant. You should focus on single target as much as possible while the classes better suited for it cleave down the adds.

Your Recount penis score might be a bit lower, but single target dps >>>>>>>>>>>>> AoE dps on that fight. The damage done on Sha is the real penis length prover on that fight.

We have a Destro lock and a fury warrior. I don't even touch the adds as a fire mage except an occasional Inferno Blast to spread DoTs if possible. Why? So the boss dies faster. Much smoother kill that way.