Thread: Video Card Help

Video Card Help

Currently using an older EMachine, but it is still kicking, so no need to upgrade yet.
    I am looking for an upgraded video card. Currently running an Nvidia 9400GT, DVI input. I have a budget of about 75 bucks.
    I wouldn't mind being able to use the GeForce experience thing that keeps popping up on my screen lol

350 watt PS, 6GB of RAM, AMD Athlon II X2 235e 2.70 processor
    oh and PCI-E
    just looking for something to upgrade to is all
    any help would be appreciated
    but no one telling me "Dude your rig sucks" Thanks for the help

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if in the wrong forum or subforum
    Last edited by Cailind; 2014-01-08 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Info

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150542

Any lower isn't worth the upgrade, any higher is outside of your budget.

Also moving this to the build/upgrade subforum.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Cailind View Post
    Currently using an older EMachine, but it is still kicking, so no need to upgrade yet.
    I am looking for an upgraded video card. Currently running an Nvidia 9400GT, DVI input. I have a budget of about 75 bucks.
    I wouldn't mind being able to use the GeForce experience thing that keeps popping up on my screen lol

350 watt PS, 6GB of RAM, AMD Athlon II X2 235e 2.70 processor
    oh and PCI-E
    just looking for something to upgrade to is all
    any help would be appreciated
    but no one telling me "Dude your rig sucks" Thanks for the help
    Ha, you got the same computer I do. Recently upgraded my PSU and GPU due to the GPU being a GTX 460 and the PSU that comes with that rig has no 6-pin PCI-e connectors.

You should be able to grab a HD 6570 for $60 or a 6670 for $70(both come with mail in rebates) and they both should be able to work, though it might not be able to handle the extra amperage needed for them. A GT 640 might also work.

Honestly, I would save up some more money and get a newer PSU(about $30-40 before rebates is the normal for a budget PSU) and a decent GPU like the HD 7770(runs around $80) and such.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say go for a GT 640 or R7 240 but only if you are ok with minimal upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    I would say go for a GT 640 or R7 240 but only if you are ok with minimal upgrades.
    The main problem with the PSU that comes with that desktop is the lack of connections available. Pretty sure there was enough molex connectors available for a single 2xmolex>6-pin adapter to be used, but that was about it. So they might be able to skimp by with using one of those, but it will be hard to find a card that will give a good value and not pull too much wattage.

If they don't mind buying second-hand or hunting for a good bargain for a little while, Ebay can be a goldmine if you are patient enough. Took me about a week, but I managed to get my GTX 460 for a whopping $20 with free shipping.

I still think saving up for a better PSU would be the best option and last much longer than grabbing a meh GPU now.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Ha, you got the same computer I do. Recently upgraded my PSU and GPU due to the GPU being a GTX 460 and the PSU that comes with that rig has no 6-pin PCI-e connectors.

You should be able to grab a HD 6570 for $60 or a 6670 for $70(both come with mail in rebates) and they both should be able to work, though it might not be able to handle the extra amperage needed for them. A GT 640 might also work.

Honestly, I would save up some more money and get a newer PSU(about $30-40 before rebates is the normal for a budget PSU) and a decent GPU like the HD 7770(runs around $80) and such.
    So, to upgrade both would be optimal? I've never replaced any core components before, only upgraded with onboard slots lol.
    The HD7770 is AMD or Nvidia, as I am partial to Nvidia lol, but anything to make my screen prettier and gaming experience more enjoyable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438016
    Would this PSU work?

That would work, though you can snag a Corsair CX500 for $10 cheaper.

The HD#### cards are AMD and the GT/GTX/GTS cards are Nvidia. The 7770Ghz/7790 are generally the best sub-$100 GPU's you can get, depending on current sales and whatnot.