Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Superbowl]NFL being sued over pricing out average people

Now this is an interesting case. You can say that Americans like to sue, and what not, but in this case they actually are breaking New Jersey law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...&ncid=webmail6

sued in federal court, accusing the NFL of violating the state Consumer Fraud Act, which the lawsuit says prohibits companies issuing tickets to withhold more than 5 percent of available seating to the public.

According to the lawsuit, filed on Monday, the NFL allocates only 1 percent of tens of thousands of Super Bowl tickets to the general public through a lottery system.

The rest of the fans who want to attend the game are left to the mercy of secondary sales, in which ticket prices might be inflated many times their face value, especially if they are part of a package that includes parties, luxury hotels or limousine rides to the MetLife stadium in Rutherford, New Jersey, the complaint said.
    Ticket prices are out of control (which is always expected) they're up to 16k in some cases and as we draw closer they will only get higher. The NFL in this instance has only allowed 1% of tickets to the average person while the state law is 5%.
    Last edited by Themius; 2014-01-08 at 03:16 AM. Reason: title correction

Sued lol? What's the problem? Rich people buy tickets. Is it fair? No.

I looked a lot into this since Superbowl is in NY this year.

Here's how superbowl tickets are allocated:
    17% for each team playing.
    5% for the home team.
    Like 1% for each other team
    Like 17% to sponsors or some shit
    Like 1% is lottoed off to random people who mail the NFL (and they can buy it).

Don't quote me on numbers, it prob doesn't even add up to 100%. But that's fucking fair. Usually each team raffles off tickets using a weighted system to their season ticket holders. Don't like it? Tough. Don't buy tickets off the second hand market.

Whining bitches. It's the superbowl, most watched sports event every year. You want tickets to be $25? Gtfo of here. Especially in NY this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Now this is an interesting case. You can say that Americans like to sue, and what not, but in this case they actually are breaking New Jersey law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...&ncid=webmail6

Ticket prices are out of control (which is always expected) they're up to 16k in some cases and as we draw closer they will only get higher. The NFL in this instance has only allowed 1% of tickets to the average person while the state law is 5%.
    I'm unsure what you mean about "allowed 1% of tickets to the average person while the state law is 5%"... please don't tell me it's yet another way the government gets involved... and they are telling a private business that they MUST price X% of their product at $X or under?

Just unsure what you mean about "state law... 5%".

EDIT: Err, just read the article and how... like I was right in a way, the government (granted at a state level) saying "you can't hold an event and only allow 1% of tickets to even be purchased by the public". Stupid shit. If I'm paying for the venue where I'm holding my event, to even think a government body could tell me how many seats/tickets I need to provide to the general public is absurd.

Is this specific to sporting events or ANY event that you need a ticket to enter?
    Last edited by alturic; 2014-01-08 at 03:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are any given out to a public lottery?

If I had my way, in neutral venues, 50% would be given to each of the clubs involved, and everyone else can go fuck themselves. One of the reasons I stopped going to the FA Cup final (when Arsenal used to reach them), was due to there being so many neutrals there that the atmosphere suffered.

If you haven't been supporting the team all season, then why should you get a chance to watch them in the moment of glory? Glory hunting leeches.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Sued lol? What's the problem? Rich people buy tickets. Is it fair? No.

I looked a lot into this since Superbowl is in NY this year.

Here's how superbowl tickets are allocated:
    17% for each team playing.
    5% for the home team.
    Like 1% for each other team
    Like 17% to sponsors or some shit
    Like 1% is lottoed off to random people who mail the NFL (and they can buy it).

Don't quote me on numbers, it prob doesn't even add up to 100%. But that's fucking fair. Usually each team raffles off tickets using a weighted system to their season ticket holders. Don't like it? Tough. Don't buy tickets off the second hand market.

Whining bitches. It's the superbowl, most watched sports event every year. You want tickets to be $25? Gtfo of here. Especially in NY this year.
    Apparently it's not about price (at least the lawsuit) really, seems to be more about this guy going for a quick money-grab due to them not following NJ law with a law that says they must provide at least 5% of the tickets to be purchase by the general public. Apparently (by the article) the NFL is only "selling" 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Is this specific to sporting events or ANY event that you need a ticket to enter?
    Seemingly to just the super bowl, but I'm not 100% sure, being not MURRCAN.

Also? most watched sporting event? ahahahahaha Olympics. Or the FIFA world champs.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

As far as I know alturic only the superbowl is an event that has such a system that's hard to get tickets too. It's not really impossible for the general public to get tickets though...Just be a season ticket holder lol...

Err, just read the article and how... like I was right in a way, the government (granted at a state level) saying "you can't hold an event and only allow 1% of tickets to even be purchased by the public". Stupid shit. If I'm paying for the venue where I'm holding my event, to even think a government body could tell me how many seats I need to provide is absurd.
    Governments can usually designate certain events as "national events" and impose restrictions or regulations about ticket distribution or the broadcast of the event on television and the internet. For example in the UK, the FA Cup (the footballing equivalent of the Super Bowl) cannot be restricted to only Pay TV and must be broadcast live on a free-view network.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

If I had my way, in neutral venues, 50% would be given to each of the clubs involved, and everyone else can go fuck themselves. One of the reasons I stopped going to the FA Cup final (when Arsenal used to reach them), was due to there being so many neutrals there that the atmosphere suffered.

If you haven't been supporting the team all season, then why should you get a chance to watch them in the moment of glory? Glory hunting leeches.
    So because I don't like hotdogs, I shouldn't be able to buy a hotdog? Seems silly to me. Now, if you mean each team should get 50% of the tickets and you buy the tickets from those 2 teams directly (as in further giving them loads of money) then I'd somewhat be fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Seemingly to just the super bowl, but I'm not 100% sure, being not MURRCAN.

Also? most watched sporting event? ahahahahaha Olympics. Or the FIFA world champs.
    1. Lol at you bashing USA for "a New Jersey businessman's" lawsuit.
    2. I was very very careful to say "every year." As far as I know, the Olympics and FIFA aren't every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Governments can usually designate certain events as "national events" and impose restrictions or regulations about ticket distribution or the broadcast of the event on television and the internet. For example in the UK, the FA Cup (the footballing equivalent of the Super Bowl) cannot be restricted to only Pay TV and must be broadcast live on a free-view network.
    Yea, that's just insane. I can't stand (I was 100% opposed to the MS monopoly BS) when government gets involved with private entities. If I didn't like X product or company, I simply wouldn't buy their product.

So because I don't like hotdogs, I shouldn't be able to buy a hotdog? Seems silly to me. Now, if you mean each team should get 50% of the tickets and you buy the tickets from those 2 teams directly (as in further giving them loads of money) then I'd somewhat be fine with that.
    If you don't like hotdogs, why would you care about whether or not you can buy them?

The amount of tickets to events like the Super Bowl, the FA Cup, the Wimbledon Mens' Singles Final and the FIFA World Cup Final that don't go to fans of the game and instead go to chums of the hosts and people they want favours from is way too high IMO.

As far as I know alturic only the superbowl is an event that has such a system that's hard to get tickets too. It's not really impossible for the general public to get tickets though...Just be a season ticket holder lol...
    According to the article though, it has nothing to do with price (I mean you can't really say people re-selling them is on the NFL, or the product in question) it's about how they are only actually selling 1% of the tickets to the public.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fans of the teams that have supported their clubs should have first dibs on going - so season ticket holders get first choice, then non-regulars etc, and if there is any left over, then they go back to the governing body for sale on general release.

Yea, that's just insane. I can't stand (I was 100% opposed to the MS monopoly BS) when government gets involved with private entities. If I didn't like X product or company, I simply wouldn't buy their product.
    But those competitions aren't hosted by "Private Entities". They aren't solely funded by private/corporate sponsors.

It's not a public lottery. You send a letter (only letter, no email) to the NFL office (I think it's in NY), and request to be entered into a lottery.

NFL gets all the mail, picks enough people to fill up 1% of the stadium tickets, allows them to purchase 2 tickets to the game face value (I think it's $600-1200) if you want them or to pass on them.

Lol at 50% involved to each team. No sorry, that's a shitty system. The whole point of moving stadiums each year and not having the superbowl at the team with the better record's stadium (who is playing in the superbowl) is to have neutrality. It's also for nice accommodations for travel but that's another thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    2. I was very very careful to say "every year." As far as I know, the Olympics and FIFA aren't every year.
    The Champions League final is the most watched annual sports event. Superbowl is second.

The fans of the teams that have supported their clubs should have first dibs on going - so season ticket holders get first choice, then non-regulars etc, and if there is any left over, then they go back to the governing body for sale on general release.
    Yea, that seems completely legitimate to me. Of course you'd have the teams unloading the tickets just so they could have fans cheering for them but still. For a government body to say "you MUST provide X tickets for sale to the public" just drives me crazy. :P

According to the article though, it has nothing to do with price (I mean you can't really say people re-selling them is on the NFL, or the product in question) it's about how they are only actually selling 1% of the tickets to the public.
    Ya I hear you but technically the tickets do fall into the hands of the "general public" since most teams give the tickets to season ticket holders.

But of course then those season ticket holders resell the tickets online so rich doctors and lawyers can attend the game. It's a status symbol thing more than anything. I know it's cliche, but best place to watch the superbowl is in your living room.

((Actually I think a lot of crazed fans overpay for tickets too even though they can't really afford them, but still I do believe the rich people/big job people are the ones going to the games.))

- - - Updated - - -

The Champions League final is the most watched annual sports event. Superbowl is second.
    Ah, sorry. My mistake, then.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a public lottery. You send a letter (only letter, no email) to the NFL office (I think it's in NY), and request to be entered into a lottery.

NFL gets all the mail, picks enough people to fill up 1% of the stadium tickets, allows them to purchase 2 tickets to the game face value (I think it's $600-1200) if you want them or to pass on them.

Lol at 50% involved to each team. No sorry, that's a shitty system. The whole point of moving stadiums each year and not having the superbowl at the team with the better record's stadium (who is playing in the superbowl) is to have neutrality. It's also for nice accommodations for travel but that's another thing.
    That's a public lottery...

50% to each team at a neutral venue is pretty much the definition of neutral in sporting events.