Page 1 of 3
LastLast

A new feature in WoW: Duel to the Death

This a feature I would be quite interested to see in WoW. Duel to the Death

Only usable by level 90 players (or whatever top level is atm)

Summary:

You duel in a public arena to the death and if killed your character is killed for real. The victor gets a scalp and mousing (or linking) over that scalp shows who they killed (Name, Race, Date) Players can have as many scalps as they are able to get.

Some Ground Rules

1. Every night between 7-9 pm you you choose to enter the arena, your choice.

2. Random match ups between players based on ilevel. Certain ilevel go in certain pools so gear ilevel is not an issue. Combatants are randomly drawn with those similar ilevels

3. Matches are automatically recorded, all matches automatically upload their last 2 mins of the match to a Blizzard server where anyone can watch these last 2 mins of the match (maybe 1 min, maybe longer?)

4. People entering this format are warned numerous times of the rules and regulations

5. Certain amounts of scalps will give you a title:

* at 1 scalp you get "Killer" title

* at 5 scalps you get " Veteran" title

* at 10 scalps you get "Berserker" title

* at 25 scalps you get "Gladiator" title

*at 50 scalps you get the "We have a bad-ass over here" title and a legendary item

6. You pay 1000 gold to enter and as long as you win, you can duel a total of 3 duels in a week.

7. The Dead. Few ways it can be done:

a) dead is dead and too bad for you, we wave goodbye as you QQ.

b) You lose the ability to use that character (log in) for 24 hours and is tagged with the "OWNED" tag for 1 week where you cannot duel anyone and you lose 1000 Gold, the gold is given to the winner. You also cannot disable that tag.

I believe this could be fun and open some doors to a very interesting PvP. There would need to be things set up for balancing, a simple solution might be you can list 2 classes that you choose not to duel, this list means you will not be paired in a duel with the two classes listed in your list.

This could be quite interesting.

I would be super interested however I doubt many people would support permadeath gameplay, including the blizz devs.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont even think it needs to be said that this will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen.

That, and its a bad idea.

1v1 is the most notoriously imbalanced aspect of this game.

Deleted
    The best class would win, that's not interesting in any way.
    It wouldn't open the way to an interesting PvP but to the dumbest possible, in fact that's the whole reason why there are not any ranked 1v1.

Deleted
    The problem here are the dueling classes, Rouge, Mage, Hunter, Windwalker, would really be the only winners.

There should NEVER be a feature in the game that has a penalty as drastic as straight up not allowing you to log in. That would be a disaster.

Deleted
    Oh yeah just let me poor countless hours into leveling and optimizing/gearing this character....aaaaaaand it's gone

Could work in other games, but for wow it's overall a bad idea and will never happen for WAY to many reasons. Maybe something like Diablo or a new game to be made around that kind of thing.

a) dead is dead and too bad for you, we wave goodbye as you QQ.

b) You lose the ability to use that character (log in) for 24 hours and is tagged with the "OWNED" tag for 1 week where you cannot duel anyone and you lose 1000 Gold, the gold is given to the winner. You also cannot disable that tag.
    losing access to the character. Yeah this is flawed. Ironman challenges are fun, but I could see this going to hell quite fast.

Sounds like it could be fun and interesting to watch, Only change I would make is that you would only duel people of the same class and spec. Then it would be a closer test of skill and knowledge of your class.

10+ Year Old Account
    yee, in the game that desperately tries to be balanced around 3v3 (with healer) i dont see this happening, especialy since some classes are ratardly op in 1v1 scenarios

It will never make it live due to many many reasons. This is still an MMORPG game (even if it doesn't show it off anymore) and one of the main aspects of these games is that your characters never die permanently.

Excluding the idiotic parts, mainly where you lose access to your character, the idea still wouldn't work.

What happens when I queue as a Holy Priest and run in circles for hours? I'm not going to ever lose 1v1 to any other class as a Priest, it's simply not possible, but I can't kill any classes either.

Are there pillars and such in the area we duel in? If not then Hunters can't really lose to anything. If there are pillars then a WW Monk can't lose to anything.

It's an interesting concept, but it's simply not feasible. The game is too broken 1v1, and there's no way that anybody would participate if it meant risking losing your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    yee, in the game that desperately tries to be balanced around 3v3 (with healer) i dont see this happening, especialy since some classes are ratardly op in 1v1 scenarios
    Imagine being an Assassination Rogue that burst all over a Windwalker Monk then right as you were going to push Envenom he hit Touch of Karma then Fists of Fury and you've essentially killed yourself and gotten stuck in a stun while your poisons are ticking on you instead.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    Oh yeah just let me poor countless hours into leveling and optimizing/gearing this character....aaaaaaand it's gone
    XD Thank you for playing please step aside for people who actually have WoW toons!

noone will do that. maybe some dipshits who had an awesome time on games like dayz would think and create a topics like this
    perma death is a stupid idea to have attached to our characters now.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Game is for 12year olds. Deathmatches and Scalping of player characters don't fit into that.
    2) Game ain't balanced 1vs1 and never will be.

While 1 may be debatable, 2 renders the above proposition obsolete, because depending on class you cannot win against your opponent.
    There is no way in hell that a priest could beat a skilled rogue in a 1 vs 1 scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    losing access to the character. Yeah this is flawed. Ironman challenges are fun, but I could see this going to hell quite fast.
    When you do an Ironman challenge, you already known from the getgo that the character is going to eventually die and you want to see how far you get. Losing access to a character such as my character that i spent over 12,500 hours logged in would just be downright pathetic and I wouldnt even touch this with a 40 yard pole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Did you guys not read "There would need to be things set up for balancing, a simple solution might be you can list 2 classes that you choose not to duel, this list means you will not be paired in a duel with the two classes listed in your list. "

OR

"The option where it might not be perma-death? Also, you sure would have a heart pounding duel wouldnt you and of course, you do not have to engage in it, choice is yours.

The notions of bringing a sense of unpredictability and the "Diablo hardcore mode-esque" thrill of danger are admirable. And you did admit that PvP would need a lot of tweaking to those who are crying "It could never work, 1v1 is so imba."

The problem is, Blizzard has about 999999 features they'd rather implement or spend precious game design time carrying out than the ideas you came up with.