Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Arrow If life is found to have existed on Mars.....

at any point in time in the past, how would we take it?

The ExoMars mission will launch around 2018 with the purpose of searching for past or present biosignatures underneath Mars' surface amongst other goals as well. Could this be the beginning of a new period in our civilization?

Even if there was life in some form at some point, then what?

It's not that big of a deal really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would it challenge modern cultures to revise their beliefs or perspectives? Most cultures are centralized upon us being the solitary form of life in the universe, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulrender View Post
    no?
    No, not really. It would be exciting, but I don't think it would be revolutionary, since we'd most likely be talking about very simple life anyway. Finding another civilization out there? Now that would be much more significant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would it challenge modern cultures to revise their beliefs or perspectives? Most cultures are centralized upon us being the solitary form of life in the universe, no?
    Much like the Dinosaurs, those cultures and religions would dismiss it as Science attacking their beliefs and instead opt to disbelieve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    Much like the Dinosaurs, those cultures and religions would dismiss it as Science attacking their beliefs and instead opt to disbelieve it.
    Great point

Cultures no. Religions yes. And they'll do what they've always done when science has made new discoveries that contradict their beliefs. Either ignore them as an attack against their religion or adapt and twist the discoveries to fit their beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    No, not really. It would be exciting, but I don't think it would be revolutionary, since we'd most likely be talking about very simple life anyway. Finding another civilization out there? Now that would be much more significant.
    Well what if digging under mars' surface unveils ruins or signatures of a previous civilization? It's a stretch, especially because the digging is only 6ft under ground but it's still nice to ponder

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Cultures no. Religions yes. And they'll do what they've always done when science has made new discoveries that contradict their beliefs. Either ignore them as an attack against their religion or adapt and twist the discoveries to fit their beliefs.
    I didn't want the thread to derail so I tried using 'cultures' instead of religion :s

10+ Year Old Account
    At the risk of sounding like a wannabe mod, I think this "would religion dismiss it" should probably stop pretty instantaneously or become it's own thread. Either way, it'll lead to a thread closure - lets not make it this one?

If it is found it won't be like a built up civilisation, it'll be bacterial of some form. Prokayotic, maybe some tiny Eukaryotes. Will it be revolutionary? That word is used too much now. It'll be big, noone can underestimate that. The problem will be studying it properly which will greatly hinder any research efforts. It'll be big but it will be limited severely by current technology and how we look at research into space. Even then, if it is found, will things change? Questionable.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

most religious hard heads would deny it till they are blue in the face, in the same manor of climate change is denied by the extreme right in the US

"life" is a very broad term :>

even bacteria are a form of life, i dont think that religions will go nuts just because some bacterias used to live on mars :>
    if they found old human-like skeletons on mars, then it would be a different story ofc. but thats not gonna happen -ever- :P

Deleted
    say that it was planted there 6000 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming it's just old plants or basic animals, I'd have to guess that we'd be all over that shit.

If it's an ancient civilization we find, then suddenly the universe becomes a much darker place. There are only two possible outcomes in that scenario: Either it's extinct, in which case we would bear witness to a failed race, and be the only ones in the universe to remember them. We might never know what happened to them, but we would always fear that we were next. They were our Solar brethren, but cruel destiny had chosen to separate us in time. And we would know that creation is, in fact, cold and uncaring.

Or perhaps they are not extinct. Maybe they fled their home world. But that only raises more questions. What were they fleeing from? Are we in danger? Will they ever come back for us? Do they even know we're here, now walking upon the lands they once called home? And did they survive their journey? Did they find whatever they were looking for, out there in the void? If we ever found them, would we be able to tell them of the things we've seen? Could we even find them?

I just don't know. It's such a terrifying prospect, but mankind will have to bravely face these possibilities one day.

10+ Year Old Account

The ExoMars mission will launch around 2018 with the purpose of searching for past or present biosignatures underneath Mars' surface amongst other goals as well. Could this be the beginning of a new period in our civilization?
    If it has existed we cannot take it anymore..
    If we ever find extraterrestrial life, it would however suit us as humans, how we'd attempt to take that life.. After all, we excel in the ability and willingness to kill.. Especially things we don't understand we kill even with pleasure....
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    As for the question of how the religious would react, it should be noted that some of the top Vatican clergy endorse the big bang theory and admit the possibility of alien life.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vatican-...ity-of-aliens/

Well DUH!!! Of course there is going to be signs of life on Mars... it should be obvious that they were put there by Satan to test your faith!

* The science community and those of us who are interested in science would jump out of joy.
    * Most people couldn't care less, and carry on their daily lives as usual.
    * And some people will see it as an attack on their beliefs, and make some noise about it.

I think that covers it.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    As for the question of how the religious would react, it should be noted that some of the top Vatican clergy endorse the big bang theory and admit the possibility of alien life.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vatican-...ity-of-aliens/
    I've said it before and i'll say it again; The new pope is a boss.

Don't know about you, but I'll throw one heck of a giant "The world is at an end" party with lots of booze, drugs and rock'n'roll. After that, I will animate everyone to jump off the next bridge, because the world is ending, right?