Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    As a local to Oahu, yeah there is traffic. Not cali on dem freeways bad, but still got a lot of traffic in certain areas including waikiki as you would expect. Traveling to North Shore and from North Shore direction at certain times might have you hit some bad traffic due to rush hour.

The beaches dont get busy like a number of the European beaches, but there be people with usually parking being the biggest issue. For restaurants it all depends where you go. There are a number of places in Waikiki itself that are not that long of a wait if there is one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orestis View Post
    Waikiki is really not that big, nor does it feel that crowded. Granted it's been about 4 years since I've last been, and most of my time is spent on the north shore or with friends in Kailua, but its never seemed that bad... Waikiki is essentially a tourist trap. If you're wanting to be a tourist, it should suffice. However, I strongly recommend seeing the whole of Oahu (assuming that's the only island you're going to?).
    Kailua has gotten even more popular over the years with a lot more tourist activity as well. The beaches are not so crowded as much as parking can be a big problem.

To OP, have fun. Not sure if you are traveling alone but that is one thing that would freak me out with traveling and havent done yet.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2014-01-09 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Bubba Gumps is awesome. My husband won a free appetizer - he knows far too much about Forrest Gump, lol.
    Got food poisoning from the one in Lahaina.

Every second person on this forum suffers some severe psychological illness

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it strange the differences in people. My problem with this would be the plane trip. I don't do very well on airplanes...horrible aviophobia. Haven't flown in almost 16 years and it has horribly impacted my life, I've had to give up some very, very lucky opportunities in life over it.

I wish my problem were social anxiety, seems it would be a lot easier to cure than fear of flying. As far as that goes, I don't seem to have any trouble...which I guess I'm grateful for, but at least you'll even be able to make it Hawaii in the first place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    Kailua has gotten even more popular over the years with a lot more tourist activity as well. The beaches are not so crowded as much as parking can be a big problem.
    I noticed that last time I was there. Kailua has also changed a LOT since I left. The house we lived in when I was born is totally gone and was replaced by 3 houses on the same lot. lol... Kailua beach park didn't seem so bad either, for right before xmas. I miss the smells more than anything...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post

This is a $12000 vacation and I don't want to be an old grump the entire time I'm there.
    you already look like one and you haven´t even left yet

First of all, stop worrying. Oahu is definitely more a touristy island, particularly Waikiki. If at all possible, try to get over to Maui or the Big island like the others have said, they give you a much better sense of what Hawaiian life really is.

Relax and enjoy yourself. There are plenty of places to escape the crowd and do your own thing. Its a beautiful place. My trip to Hawaii was a life changing one, and I hope you can get as awesome of an experience as I did!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

For 12k, one hopes one would get lei'd. At least.

Quote Originally Posted by Zannis View Post
    For 12k, one hopes one would get lei'd. At least.
    I didn't get a lei when I landed at Honolulu, I was actually kind of disappointed.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I didn't get a lei when I landed at Honolulu, I was actually kind of disappointed.
    There's a tee shirt caption in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Zannis View Post
    There's a tee shirt caption in there somewhere.
    "I was actually kind of disappointed"??
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Just have to throw this out there OP, but why in the hell would you go there if it seems like every little aspect of it is set up to bother you? You know what's it's going to be like, and still are going there. It makes no sense.
    I've never been there, how am I supposed to know what its like? Since I'm flying out to Chicago in about 9 hours and from there Hawaii, the time for anxiety to kick in is right about 3 days ago. I can enjoy myself just fine in Hawaii but want to try the touristy things at least once, the "Hawaiian Experience" since this will be my first time going.

Also as for the money again, this is the hotel I'll be staying in for 3 days of the 2 week vacation.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/hale...a34eb33d3e99X1

Its priced at $1,300 a night. thats already $3,900 over 3 days. I don't get how 12k is a lot of money for a 2 week vacation tbh. We've spent more than that on Lake Buena Vista, Florida.

Secondly it isn't myself spending this money, I've only spent about $1,500 of my own money for flight and planned excursions while I'm there.

Anyways. Yes large amounts of people bother me, but I don't let it ruin my life and my vacations considering you'd have to avoid every city on the planet to not see large crowds at least once. I can be well off never seeing a BlizzCon or a Superbowl, but some things can't be avoided. Especially saying no to what amounts to a vacation well outside my budget in a tropical paradise just because people bother me.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2014-01-10 at 04:54 PM.