Deleted

How do I effectively sim different sets of gear against each other?

I'm not quite sure where to post this, but because I play a Shaman I figured this would be a good place to start.
    My problem is that I often have no idea if I should roll on a certain drop or just ignore it, e.g. I'm currently rocking 2/2 Gaze of Arrogance as Elemental and I want to know if other Weapons (+ Offhands) would outperform it before they drop so I can be certain I am not taking drops away from my raidmates.
    The only way I currently know how to do this is to manually edit my SimCraft profile for even the smallest of changes. This is very time consuming for potentially very little benefit. Basically what I want is a way to feed some program my current set of gear and some potential alternatives and tell it to find the best combination in regards to enchants, gems, reforges and upgrades while taking into account the changing stat weights.
    I know this is pretty much wishful thinking, but I hope there is a way to make that way less of a hassle at least.

While it's not perfect, and there are good reasons NOT to use it, AMR actually does help with this. Import your character, plug in your stat weights, and then you can play around with the gear in each slot. Once you've made a set, you can export the simc code and sim it. Or, if you just want to see how much it increases your stats, just take note of your stats before changing and after on the right side panel.

I know it's not exactly what you're asking for, but it's the closest thing we have right now, and it still involves simming to know just how much of an upgrade it is. The only other solution is to just be aware of your stat weights, and look for pieces that have more of the higher ones. In this specific case, I can tell you that the mace off Dark Shaman and an offhand, specifically the shield off Norushen, the shield off Malkorok, the offhand off Garrosh, or even the offhand off IJ (though others are good too, these are better itemized), would likely be better for you, with the obvious exception of if you're already way over hit cap and can't get below it with those. Typically for ele a MH/OH combination will work better than a staff, because you get the extra intellect enchant on the offhand/shield. Otherwise, you'll just go for whatever has better stats.

Deleted
    Well, that's still better than what I was doing up until I read this and will make things significantly easier for me. If I had enough knowledge in programming I would likely try to make exactly what I want, but oh well ...
    Thanks for the reply.

PS: Can you define "way over hitcap"? The best combination that I can come up with is the mace off Dark Shaman and the offhand off Garrosh which still puts mit .15% over hitcap. I guess it's small enough to warrant equipping them.

.15% is not way over, and that's about where a lot of people are sitting. Sure, it'd be nice to be 15% on the dot, but that's not always possible.