Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    Freedom of speech makes it okay to be a racist?
    It's not "okay" to be a racist. It's also not "okay" to be the thought police. It's far, far less "okay" for you to curtail a sentient being's rights, freedoms, and self-determination. If a person holds views that you don't like you can disagree with them, you can pity them, you can even hate them. But you cannot oppress them. To do so fetters us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    Why not? Most civilized countries do.
    Because it's better than the alternative.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    What's the alternative? People can't preach on public soapboxes on how they hate "X" group?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laytnor View Post
    There should be no bans on speech. EVER.

If someone can't handle "hate speech", perhaps they shouldn't exist in the first place. Let them kill themselves. Just a proof that natural selection still works.

Ridiculous.
    The only thing ridiculous here is the drivel you just spewed in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    It's not "okay" to be a racist. It's also not "okay" to be the thought police. It's far, far less "okay" for you to curtail a sentient being's rights, freedoms, and self-determination. If a person holds views that you don't like you can disagree with them, you can pity them, you can even hate them. But you cannot oppress them. To do so fetters us all.
    I had no idea that speech said out loud = thought. I thought it was... speech.

I don't give a fuck what a person person thinks, they can think it if they want; however, hate speech in public should = a no no.

- - - Updated - - -

There should be no bans on speech. EVER.

If someone can't handle "hate speech", perhaps they shouldn't exist in the first place. Let them kill themselves. Just a proof that natural selection still works.

Ridiculous.
    oh wow so edgy...
    Last edited by Themius; 2014-01-10 at 11:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I can say what I want when I want, especially if its in comedy. What I cant do is go on the streets and protest for black people to be hung or be given less rights, thats not even a racism issue thats a human rights issue and yet its allowed in certain countries. Our free speech is a great model, if theres a problem with minorities for example we can discuss it, what we cant do is go into extremes and start scapegoating whole sects of people because "FREE SP33CH WOO".
    Gb free speech is a great model, wow thats the best joke I have heard this year so far. But since you seem to think that free speech means the speech that the government has not criminalised yet, you cant be helped.

At any rate any country which jails people for writing mean things on twitter deserves only ridicule.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Gb free speech is a great model, wow thats the best joke I have heard this year so far. But since you seem to think that free speech means the speech that the government has not criminalised yet, you cant be helped.

At any rate any country which jails people for writing mean things on twitter deserves only ridicule.
    It sets a good example. You are free to think whatever you want; however, you aren't free to harass and belittle a person.

10+ Year Old Account
    The term freedom of speech should be absolved and the new term Freedom of enlightenment should be brought in, meaning you can say what you want, but you also are allowed to have smarter people come and educate you, such as this 'comedian' clearly needs.

Deleted
    The US freedom of speech is certainly an interesting dilemma; on the other hand, some people can say the N-word, make jokes about the Jewish people, women, mentally retarded people, and so on. Some people can be obvious racists but veil it in politics or "freedom of the press", or some shit like that. Then on the other hand, every now and then, someone says something completely innocent, and their lives are destroyed.

There's absolutely zero consistency.

So no, the US is no bastion of free speech. It's a LOTTERY of free speech.

As far as comedy acts go, insult comics are insult comics, and their punishment should be a lack of laughs, not banning their act or worse.

Deleted
    People shouldn't be scorned for having opinions, of course.

But I don't think people should have the right to call someone a nigger or be openly racist, threatening or insulting and then hide behind freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    Why not? Most civilized countries do.
    You're right. It's one of those things like...I dunno, rioting over hockey games...that crosses you off the "civilized countries" list.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2014-01-10 at 11:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    People being able to harass each others is better? Are you also in favor of verbal bullying? After all, free speech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It sets a good example. You are free to think whatever you want; however, you aren't free to harass and belittle a person.
    Ah apart from crying racist on every possible occasion, you are also against free speech, well my respect for you has sunk even lower, even if I did not think it possible.

But dont be bashful, dont bullshit around with stuff like I am for free speech, but... Be open that you are opposed to the right to free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    The term freedom of speech should be absolved and the new term Freedom of enlightenment should be brought in, meaning you can say what you want, but you also are allowed to have smarter people come and educate you, such as this 'comedian' clearly needs.
    People honestly take freedom of speech too far. "I want to go out and scream and yelling at faggots and call them fags!" um no.. sorry I don't give a fuck about free speech here. I'm not defending what you believe to be your right to spread hate because "look free speech"

- - - Updated - - -

Ah apart from crying racist on every possible occasion, you are also against free speech, well my respect for you has sunk even lower, even if I did not think it possible.

But dont be bashful, dont bullshit around with stuff like I am for free speech, but... Be open that you are opposed to the right to free speech.
    Oh sorry I don't want your respect I feel it would sully me. If I have the respect of a person such as yourself I am clearly doing something wrong as a person such as you should want absolutely nothing to do with me, and I with you

I am not against free speech I am against the silly notion that people should be free to spread hate speech because of free speech.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    People being able to harass each others is better? Are you also in favor of verbal bullying? After all, free speech.
    Clearly they are, so what if it leads to people killing themselves and being depressed, it's survival of the fittest!

^

People have no fucking clue what this means.

I mean if "that's" the fittest we're going to end up with a world of psychopathic, non-empathetic freaks. Oh wait...

10+ Year Old Account
    People honestly take freedom of speech too far. "I want to go out and scream and yelling at faggots and call them fags!" um no.. sorry I don't give a fuck about free speech here. I'm not defending what you believe to be your right to spread hate because "look free speech"

- - - Updated - - -

Oh sorry I don't want your respect I feel it would sully me. If I have the respect of a person such as yourself I am clearly doing something wrong as a person such as you should want absolutely nothing to do with me, and I with you

I am not against free speech I am against the silly notion that people should be free to spread hate speech because of free speech.
    Sully you? Hah, get of your high horse, almost nothing could do that.

Then you are against free speech, stop bullshitting around the matter. Be frank, say I am in favour of restricted, or allowed speech.

Then you are against free speech, stop bullshitting around the matter. Be frank, say I am in favour of restricted, or allowed speech.
    I'm not bullshitting around mon chéri.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not bullshitting around mon chéri.
    Yes you are, you cannot say that you are for free speech and then in the same sentence state something different.

Deleted

What possible good can come from giving someone the right to call call you racist or derogatory words and phrases?

Look mom, I'm using buzzwords and nobody can stop me!
    Irony, thy name is Laytnor.

I'm on no high horse, that would be you.

Yes you are, you cannot say that you are for free speech and then in the same sentence state something different.
    Free speech is fine... just not hate speech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft Holmes View Post
    What possible good can come from giving someone the right to call call you racist or derogatory words and phrases?
    Rights are not in place to create any "good". They are in place to protect the individual from malicious prosecutions, just as France has showed now, or how UK has showed many times.