Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Glakras Heroic Drakefire.

I have a pretty simple question about this mechanic that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere. Does drakefire hit only people on the ground? Or does it also target the people in and on top of the tower?

We are having some serious trouble with this fight and it just doesn't make any sense to me. We killed Sha of Pride in 4 pulls for our first kill, but then have difficulty on one of the easier heroics, go figure. Ill post our logs and maybe people can help us out.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...pes&boss=72249
    This should just be the heroic wipes. We forgot to start a new log when we did LFR.

Things we changed on the last pull. 3 healed to see what it did and our shaman went back Enhance since the damage was the same as his ele set. (He is MS enhance)

I do not believe that it hits people on top of the tower, but this is purely based on my experience, and I could be wrong. We two heal. As soon as the miniboss at the top of the tower is killed, our tower healer returns to the ground. The tank can heal himself through the rest of the minor damage from the remaining tower Grunts, and the DPS do not take any significant damage once the boss is down. I do not think we'd be able to do this if Drakefire hit the tower group.

Deleted
    yeh as far as iam aware it hits people on the ground and people going up the stairs of the tower but not people at the top

You can get unlucky and have 2-3 hit the same person all at once, globaling them. If it's hitting too hard to keep up, you're probably doing the tower too slowly and not clearing the drakes before their stacks ramp up.

yes, drakefire only hits the ground group as far as I know, it might even be possible to kite mobs into the bottom floor of the tower to avoid it

you will need a chain of cooldowns to pull it off, shamans with guidance help as it provides high amounts of smart healing, as does healing tide totem

I heal the ground group through it after using my tranq on the snake boss in our 10H group

your tower healer should jump down to help around when the miniboss on the tower dies dies

I pop tree form and then I start HotW (it's a 25% healing increase for resto as of 5.4) 15s into it to cover it, I blanket lifebloom for procs and throw extra stacks of it when people are topped off, giving me tons of free and fast regrowths

be very careful when thranok is down, this is when you'll want devo auras, rallying cries, or other damage reduction that deep into the drakefire (around 5+ stacks of drakefire at this point)
    my raid's ground group is prot pally, arms warr, combat rogue, ele shammy, and resto drood so we have a lot of defensive/healing cds stacked down there

even if your brewmaster is the tower tank, have him leave his statue on the ground, the statue will help

keep your shammy on the ground solely for guidance and HTT, maybe have your your shadow priest stay down for similar reasons w/ vamp embrace or have your boomking pop HotW there to help heal some when it gets higher

other than that, all you really can do is improve your dps and find more defensives to pop on the ground group

I have heard crazy stories like 10man all-in tower groups or leaving like 2-4 on the ground, but I know nothing about those methods myself

also a side note: if you need it, a healer can heal up an engineer that's opening a door if they get low on health

I'd have both your resto droods swap to HotW+Incarnation is the way to go for this fight for the increased healing in specific parts (althugh I guess the tower one could take NV if they want to, but I'd rather have 45s of increased 25% healing and 6% more int in p2 than 12%+rejuv cleave)

once you're in p2, it'll probably be a kill, we've only ever wiped there once because a rogue had killing spree up and got targeted and didn't click it off, j

when you did get to p2, you used a lot of your defensive/healing cooldowns too early so the healing got too difficult as he got his stacking damage up, try to hold off on them until lust is over or almost over or when he has about 15-20 stacks

alternatively, you can hold off on lust to help with healing (although you'll get less dps from it not lining up with procs like this) as 30% spell haste is a really strong healing buff to druids, who don't even really suffer from increased mana consumption with haste

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    Things we changed on the last pull. 3 healed to see what it did and our shaman went back Enhance since the damage was the same as his ele set. (He is MS enhance)
    worst ele gear when you can't beat enhance dps with dat CL spam!
    Last edited by Socialhealer; 2014-01-10 at 10:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    its kind of like a dps race once the tower door opens up. if you take too long to clear the tower the drakes start pelting the raid on the ground
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Deleted
    i think your enhance should be ele imo. chain lightning spam too stronk

It only hits people on the ground. Each time they fire its 10% more damage so you do get into one shot territory if you take too long on the towers. I believe it also splashes so keep range from your buddies.

With this in mind we leave a tank, healer and 2 dps downstairs (boomie and ele shammy) and send everyone else up to get the pain over with asap. You can blow big CD's there since the normal spawns after a tower aren't scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Imhere View Post
    i think your enhance should be ele imo. chain lightning spam too stronk
    550 ele vs 570 enhance. His enhance does more Damage to the adds than his Ele chain lightning did just due to gear.

@Ryklin Our usual healing setup is Pally+Druid, our pally was gone this week, Druid friend came in. I think with a few of the changes I've made to our strat we should have a much easier time come Monday.

Thanks everyone :]

Quote Originally Posted by Redpanda View Post
    its kind of like a dps race once the tower door opens up. if you take too long to clear the tower the drakes start pelting the raid on the ground
    I think drakes come regardless. So if you let the grunts disrupt the demo team you'll be getting further behind each time they stun or kill them.

We have recently killed Galakras 10 Man Hc and faced the same problem. If the tower team was slow we would get overrun by too much damage going on down. But from what i have experienced the tower team doesnt get hit by drakefire.

Our composition was 2 heal, shaman and holy priest, and 6 dps, 2x mage, hunter, feral, pala, boomie.

What we did was send everyone expcet hunter and boomie, druid tank and shaman healer up in the tower. When they went up after the 1st demo died and we were expecting the drakes wave. The hunter and boomie killed the grunt that spawns trying to kill the demolotion team of tower 2 and then focus on the 2 drakes down. When the damage gets too high the boomie pops HotW and helps on healing. Since you have a boomie you can try the same. (boomie and spriest down should ammount in lots of selfhealing and their CDs should be back up for last phase if ever needed).

The tower team kills the miniboss and the healer jumps right down while the dps clears the remaining adds. We tried with dps comming down immediately after the miniboss died, except the one going for the turret, but he was too slow so we still got overrun by drakes down.

The 2nd tower is less of a problem usually, so we sent one dps less.

If you manage to get into p2 then it should be an easy kill. We killed it in ~10 pulls and in the first pull we reached p2.

Good luck

10+ Year Old Account
    we send 6 players on 1st tower. downstairs stays me (disc healer), prot pally, dk frost and the hunter (tower add duty). make the tower group rush till the top, then rape all the adds. as a disc, its prolly the worst phase of the fight because of rng, but it's doable. only time I couldn't keep up was when our hunter got 9 drakefires in a row. really, 9.
    Violence awaits. You can burn with me in hell. Viva la hate!

We send five to towers including the disc priest (shaman heals the downstairs). We count on some dps from the disc priest... because I can. I jump done after the adds with a threat table are down as does the tank. I try to hog all the healing via absorbs as much as possible before I go up, so my partner can start the intense solo drakefire healing with all her cooldowns and all her mana.

Once you get through all of the trash waves with everyone alive, you basically have it dead because the last part is really quite simple.

Drakefire means you're taking forever to clear that tower, send more people. The tank can literally 2man the double drake pull while you're on tower, with the help of jaina/npcs.

Deleted
    Disc atonement also heals from the top of the tower. Just hit the add closest to the ground at the edge of the tower and people will be smarthealed pretty much anywhere. That way you can DPS the top and heal at the bottom at the same time. Quite broken and useful.

A small note from our first heroic week - Drakefire does splash damage (aka small 4-5y radius AoE), so having people on the ground spreading out (including melee, if they can help it) will lower the damage taken. Use some CD (i.e: Devo) when you get pulled in by the 2nd ground miniboss (as everyone will likely be on top / very close to each other) if the drakes aren't cleared by then.

10+ Year Old Account
    If drakefire is killing you, the tower team is too slow.

Just leave your strongest cleave dps down to deal with adds (making sure a kick is available for the shamans of course), and send the rest up to obliterate the tower. The faster those towers die, the easier it'll be for you, so long as you're effectively killing the resto shamans and not letting the NPCs get fractured.

Deleted
    Not really related to the OPs question, but as it has already been answered...

I cant be the only one that whenever I scroll through R&D section, I notice this thread title, Glakras, and immediately think of a dragon version of Hodor going "GLAKRAS, GLA! KRAS!"