Thread: What spec?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

What spec?

Hey all,

I've been out of the game for a few months, and only played my dk as an alt before that. Now I went looking around at some other dk's, but I can't figure out for myself what the best dps spec is for them. Some DK's I've seen are unholy, others are DW frost. What is best this patch?

10+ Year Old Account
    Play what you want. Unless you're a heroic-mode raider just play what appeals to you.

But as I understand it, above 550 it is DW > 2H > Unholy. Correct me, please, if I'm mistaken.

Dual wield frost is the easiest to pick up and learn and also very good numbers if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Play what you want. Unless you're a heroic-mode raider just play what appeals to you.

But as I understand it, above 550 it is DW > 2H > Unholy. Correct me, please, if I'm mistaken.
    It is very fight specific. Some fights unholy is ahead of frost according to raid bots. Take that as you will however and keep in mind unholy doesn't have nearly as many parses as frost.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarySecret View Post
    Dual wield frost is the easiest to pick up and learn and also very good numbers if done right.
    I also ran 2H Frost for a while as my off-spec, and I felt like DW was more forgiving before and after in normal and flex raiding. 2H hitting the wrong button on a KM proc felt really hurtful, as DW it feels annoying but not nearly as much of a loss. Also, cleave-tastic rotation by default makes multi-target fights much easier while you are getting back to speed.

Doesn't really make a difference. YOu want to smash out KM procs as they appear anyway. If you only have FS ready, shit happens, the risk of entirely losing a full km proc is too big at that point.

Frost 2h and dw are similary easy and deal similar dps, 2h being a bit ahead till tot hc gear, with dw surpassing while getting to SoO normal/hc gear.
    Unholy sees their backs at all ilvls, sadly, but atleast the difference is not too big, so it is playable if you wish to without being really punished or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... so for example when I'm 516 ilvl and can use 536 2H instead of 2x510 DW, I should do it ? Wouldn't it be dps loss in SoO seeing that most fights are cleave/aoe heavy ?

edit: simcraft tells me that my DW would do 139,6k dps and 2H would be 163k(wrongly gemmed).. but how much closer would this be in aoe situations ?
    Last edited by Alyzyr; 2013-12-27 at 10:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyzyr View Post
    simcraft tells me that my DW would do 139,6k dps and 2H would be 163k(wrongly gemmed).. but how much closer would this be in aoe situations ?
    Sim both alternatives with more targets and you'll find out. In general, single target dps is far more important than AoE though anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyzyr View Post
    ... so for example when I'm 516 ilvl and can use 536 2H instead of 2x510 DW, I should do it ? Wouldn't it be dps loss in SoO seeing that most fights are cleave/aoe heavy ?

edit: simcraft tells me that my DW would do 139,6k dps and 2H would be 163k(wrongly gemmed).. but how much closer would this be in aoe situations ?
    As frost 2h you only really lose to dw on perma cleave, so like fallen protectors and similar fights.
    In fact frost 2h is in pure AoE dmg potentially superior to dw (atleast without cinderglacier on dw, not sure about with it though) as it has more strength and the t16 4set deadls doubled dmg for 2h. So a full mastery frost 2h build would deal more AoE dmg than dw, but loses on cleave as dw FS > 2h FS and losing many Oblits due to cleaving anyways.(or actual cleave dmg by usng obliterate)

But until deep SoO always take the one with the better weapon, well used, 2h can also cleave very good and the better weapon evens out the difference in both FS versions.

Deleted
    Both 2H Frost and DW Frost ar every simple specks, mainly based around procs and keeping the diseases rolling, very little micro management, Unholy revolves a lot more around Trinket Procs and Diseases, mainly it's used in PvP purely for the blanket pressure and Blood is well... not amazing in an end game environment but still holds a very strong spot in the soloing community.