Thread: Tank problems

Tank problems

So I'm trying to figure something out.

Me, and my two friends we're in a party finder for Ultima Hard Mode, one of my friends and me are DPS, my other friend is a tank. Here's his Lodestone thing...

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...acter/2335880/

My question is, is he undergeared for Ultima or Coil? The reason why I ask is personally, I have seen almost every tank I do stuff with (other then him) rockin' about 6k health. The other reason why I ask this (going back to the start of the post), when we were running Ultima Hard Mode, he kept on dieing. Hes not messing up the mechanics at all, he was just getting rocked by Ultima. One hit would take away between 25% to 50% of his health. This stands out to me because he would ALWAYS die 2 or 3 times during one fight, where as the other Tank (who was a Warrior with like 6.1k health) was only dieing at the end when we would wipe.

My friend says he's using all of his defensive cooldowns pretty much all the time, or he saves them for a big hit. So... any idea whats going on?

The healers had no problem keeping the Warrior up, but couldn't keep up my tank friend.
    Last edited by Komie; 2014-01-12 at 02:48 AM.

He may be slightly undergeared for the fight. My other question is is he using shield oath? That fight in general has a decent amount of spike damage and it is very healer intensive. So it could be a combo of a bunch of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisxor View Post
    He may be slightly undergeared for the fight. My other question is is he using shield oath? That fight in general has a decent amount of spike damage and it is very healer intensive. So it could be a combo of a bunch of things.
    Yeah he's always in Shield Oath

Was this just on one time with this particular group or has he had it happen with multiple groups? If its just been one group, it could be what I like to call healer lock, they get so centered on one person that they let the others get away from them. If its been across multiple groups its probably just a matter of needing more gear or there is one thing he is messing up and just doesn't know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Was this just on one time with this particular group or has he had it happen with multiple groups? If its just been one group, it could be what I like to call healer lock, they get so centered on one person that they let the others get away from them. If its been across multiple groups its probably just a matter of needing more gear or there is one thing he is messing up and just doesn't know it.
    Yeah it's happened across multiple groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    Yeah it's happened across multiple groups.
    Diffractive Laser hits for about 2.3-2.5k unmitigated. Since it can't be blocked/dodged/parried, he's eating it raw unless he has a cd up. Problem is, it's instant cast and isn't exactly on a timer. I've always observed a Diffractive to occur around Freefires, when the lasers start pulsing. The second set of Freefires is pretty killer for a tank, since they take about 1/2 damage from 2, an auto, and a Diffractive all at the same time (1.2k each Freefire + 1.3k auto + 2.4k Diffractive, putting around 6.1k, not including variance, all in the span of a global). I usually pop Hallowed Ground during the second set to soak all that.

Also, the way it works, he can eat a melee -> Diffractive -> melee all back to back for 5.2ish damage in the span of a global.
    Last edited by Lyese; 2014-01-14 at 02:26 AM.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

Don't see a problem with him tanking Ultima. Heck I tanked Turn 4 Dreadnaughts with 5.7k HP as Paladin, 6k HP without Defiance on Warrior for Twintania. He is definitely taking some unnecessary damage or the group itself is the problem cause if you don't dodge stuff healers have to heal the party a lot.

Ultima is one of the fights where Paladin Stoneskin really helps a lot. Diffractive Laser comes out of nowhere and hits for a lot of damage, and you can't expect your healer to keep you topped at all times.

That said, Diffractive Laser damage can be split between the tanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gear isn't a problem. I did turn 4 in DL gear and a relic.

It's most likely the quality of players you're getting or he's using his cooldowns at the 'wrong' time. Unless he's accidentally taking orb damage?