Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

American Revolutionary War

In the United States we call it The Revolution but i was curious what the rest of the world called it

American Revolution is how I've always heard/thought of it (I'm Australian)

10+ Year Old Account
    The Americaning II: Rise of the United States

In U.S we also called the American Revolutionary War...at least that was back when i was in school some 10+ years ago. What do they call the Civil war now? A dispute between two gentlemen over who should serve them their crumpets?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CapNquirk View Post
    In the United States we call it The Revolution but i was curious what the rest of the world called it
    If I remember right we called it in history lesson "American war for independence".

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Elsa View Post
    In canada, we call it 'Twin brother moving out'.
    Moved out and got demoted to little brother lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hatlatitla View Post
    If I remember right we called it in history lesson "American war for independence".
    What country if i can ask? that is how it is taught in the states basically but with certain Revolutions going on lately i was just curious if back then ours was kinda like nowadays and barely a ripple in the news

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CapNquirk View Post

What country if i can ask? that is how it is taught in the states basically but with certain Revolutions going on lately i was just curious if back then ours was kinda like nowadays and barely a ripple in the news
    Slovakia, it is written under my avatar.

American Revolution or American War of Independence I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    American war of independence. Never called it a revolution as far as I can remember. That word was reserved for the French revolution in our history class
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

In Spain (literal translation): War of independence of the United States.

However, if someone says "American Revolution", some people would get it, some people would think about our former American colonies.

I just call it history repeating itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, we call it a revolutionary war in the US, but really, it was a war for independence. A revolution implies that you overthrow a ruler and replace him/her with a new government. King George continued to sit on his throne after our independence and rule a vast empire. We just took a little land and made it independent of him.

It's like if Hawaii decided to leave the US tomorrow and fought a war to do so, we wouldn't call it a revolution unless they actually toppled the government in Washington.

But I grew up with the term American Revolutionary War, so that's how I'll always think of it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The American War of Independence - directly translated from danish.

Deleted
    American Revolution or American War of Independence translated from Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    The American War of Independence - directly translated from danish.
    Amerikas Uafhængighedskrig

Directly translated back, then translated and then translated back again.

Deleted
    In the West Europe we call the rebelious scum the Al-Qaida movement:

American Legislation - Questioning Autority In Desilutional Anarchy

The freedom fighters in Afghanistan are called the 'Afgan war for independence and Islam'
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2014-01-12 at 01:55 PM.

Deleted
    Interestingly enough, it is the only independence war outside of Europe that was more than just briefly touched upon that I can think of. Mostly because there's a strong relation between the American war of independence and the age of enlightment in Europe.

Deleted
    American war of independence, although it is not taught at all in British schools for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    American war of independence, although it is not taught at all in British schools for a variety of reasons.
    The Rebellion-of-those-ungrateful-gits-while-we-were-busy-in-India-conflict

We don't really call it anything, because we don't care enough to talk about it.

What do americans call the english civil war? Nothing, because it's not something you care about.