Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Just one time, then anyone can go in.
    Awesome, thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    No double standard at all since I get my stuff done much faster than in a raid based game like WoW.
    doubt it...but thats cool if you really do. I ran 2 wings in flex while waiting for 1 marienette respawn today so...yea.

Anyway the double standard I was talking about was how raids are taboo to most GW2ites yet the way they are defeating the wurm is pretty much manipulating overflows to effectively instance the boss anyway. It's not like these open world bosses and how they are dealt with are that much different. Yea I know ppl claim they wait 3 hours for a tank but I haven't experienced that since like BC and I'm on a pretty low pop realm too.

Deleted
    Back when I played warcraft on Bladefist EU, a veritable ghost town at times, my old GM (Healer tree/Foolkin or Warrior) was into raids big time & I don`t recall him ever having to wait longer then half an hour for raids & that was usually just getting everyone on the same voicecoms or back from the kitchen ;p. (TBC-WotLK-Cata era). Same goes for a few others I knew on the servers.
    Lucky that, because as soon as he entered the raid he went silent & I could PvP in peace

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...rs-Please-Anet
    Last edited by mmoca2c81d9292; 2014-01-28 at 06:38 AM.

is this a thinly veiled complaint about not having the trinity now? oh joy

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting words from Josh Foreman re: player skill, challenge and content tuning for tension:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru.../5#post3559127
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshForeman

Quote Originally Posted by StriderShinryu.6923:
    I suppose what it boils down to with me is a question of why the content needs to be an elite level challenge in the first place. Would it really be all that bad if an average group of players could win?

Not at all. The Marionette was not designed to be beaten only by “elite” players. We have an idea of where the average player is skill-wise, and placed the bar where we hoped would just a tad above that, in the hopes that they would have to stretch a bit. That stretching creates tension, which is the sweet spot in event-type content as far as I’m concerned. (as opposed to the abnegation style smooth sailing content that most of an MMO needs to be.) Without the tension new things get boring faster. Too much tension, (as seems to be your case) and people give up and the content is wasted on them. That seems to be your argument about this event.

Because the player base is a diverse lot, ANY amount of tension will frustrate SOME amount, causing them to be turned off. So fundamentally we have to ask ourselves if we want to ever ask the player to stretch, or keep them all in a happy abnegated state of chillaxing. Does the benefit to those who want some tension from time to time outweigh the frustration of those who don’t?

The other question that I hope is answered in the positive is this: Can the average player skill be raised by challenging content like this? We know that X% of players don’t know about traits. We know Y% never swap out their 7-0 skills to accommodate specific challenges. And there are probably dozens of other systems that go unused by some portion of the player-base. If even 10% of that group hits a challenge like the Marionette and the subsequent tension causes them to look into these systems and they learn a new depth to the game they otherwise never would have, I think that’s a win for everybody. The average skill level rises, and in turn, we devs can make more interesting events that utilize the depth of the systems we have.

Having said all that, if after a week the Marionette is still only being beaten 1 out of 10 times, then I would say we may have tuned it a bit too difficult. On the other hand, we don’t know how long it takes for the aggregate skill level of the player-base to grow. I don’t know how long it takes for information about traits and builds to disseminate to those who had previously never looked into them. As with all our content, we are closely watching and noting these things so that every future project can learn from it.

P.S. Because several people brought up the idea of buffing the other platforms when one succeeds, I thought I ought to let you all know that this has always been the case. When one platform’s power regulator is destroyed the players on the platforms adjacent get Electrify Aura which gives 60 seconds of protection, swiftness, regeneration, fury, might, vigor and retaliation.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    is this a thinly veiled complaint about not having the trinity now? oh joy
    You want a trinity? I don't think ANET devs could be able to pull it off at this point. They could definitely get away with instancing raids tho. That has nothing to do with group comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipero View Post
    You want a trinity?
    lol

you must be new here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    lol

you must be new here
    I'm confused.

Sure, I like the trinity system a lot better, but I'm certainly not naive enough to think it'd even be a good fit for this game at all. Just would not feel right unless everything combat wise was redone. It's not a bad thing, tho..it's good to have variety.

As for a real complaint, well... my biggest beef is the respawn times. Difficulty is fine, organization is fine...Both fights are fun. The respawn times are just too damn long tho.

I greatly dislike the holy trinity system

I'll just leave it at that

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    No double standard at all since I get my stuff done much faster than in a raid based game like WoW.
    This is likely a social issues not a game design issue.

For example. I get "stuff" done faster in TOR and Rift than in GW2. The difference is I have a dedicated and focused guild in each of those games to get "stuff" done with in highly structured fashion. Whereas I do not in Guild Wars 2.

As someone joked above, "waiting 3 hours" is waiting 3 hours regardless of who or what you are waiting for.

Amazed at the response to Marionette. It's not really that hard. Every time I run it, I give the same instructions. Range the giant AOEing warden. Dodge towards the mine warden so it goes backwards to its mines. Get behind the first warden unless you have aggro.

I understand it's frustrating if you do it right but haven't had a successful downing yet, but its designed to be slightly challenging content.

The one real issue is the same real issue that's been there since launch: overflow ssytem. It's hard to organize people together if the mainflow is full. I know they're working on this, but it's a longterm, major project.

I think more of an immediately solvable concern is the Tri-Wurm's loot. Something of that scale and difficulty should probably have a guaranteed exo drop. And if it makes pre-cursors drop in price then that's a positive if you ask me.
    Last edited by zed zebes; 2014-01-28 at 04:32 AM.

I just find it funny that Anet always seems to create these events and updates that are in direct opposition of how their overflow system works. Two of their very own systems/ideas at odds with each other, and tend to hamper/frustrate people more than anything. That and the fact that they make everything in the game faceroll easy, and then actually put something in that requires a small amount of thought and effort, and then wonder why people don't like it. I laugh at their incompetence as a developer daily. That and their mary sue villain that has went about 4 to 5 months longer than she should have with the storyline.

I wish they would get their shit together and get back on track. Other new MMOs are fast approaching, and the longer Anet waits to give me something worthwhile, the greater the chance I'll never touch this game again. Ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pft, low pop servers don't exist, certain people are always in an overflow and they are constantly increasing server capacity.

Insert obligatory video of busy WvWvW.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-01-28 at 07:00 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Pft, low pop servers don't exist, certain people are always in an overflow and they are constantly increasing server capacity.

A busy WvWs map isn`t going to help those PvErs get their shinies though is it?
    Just like when I was on the ghost ship Underworld, where WvWs was dead at times (I left months ago, from what I`ve heard it`s (somehow) even worse now lol), yet all of the karma/loot trains were at full swing & the big turkeys too.
    You can be on the highest pop` server, but if they have no interest in the latest LS or in WvWs.....

I'm more annoyed that even the "dead" servers still show as "Very High", which means maximum gem cost to transfer, which is BS.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post

Your post reminds me of someone.....I can't quite put my finger on it.....hmmmm....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'm more annoyed that even the "dead" servers still show as "Very High", which means maximum gem cost to transfer, which is BS.
    Gotta milk them customers for all the gems/money they're worth!

Anet: "Our game isn't doing bad! Just look at our servers! They are all Very High! Loads of people are playing! Just good luck actually finding someone to do anything with once you get on a Very High server! Cuz our labels are extremely misleading!"

Deleted
    I cried a little inside today. I guested on a low populated server (medium) and ran a bit around for gathering. Then I read the mapchat. They said "there is an overflow? That never happened!"

In Desolation, I was in the second overflow that had another overflow ;_;

So, I have a new derogatory nickname for "Season One Living Story": 50 Shades of Scarlet :P
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbleed View Post
    I cried a little inside today. I guested on a low populated server (medium) and ran a bit around for gathering. Then I read the mapchat. They said "there is an overflow? That never happened!"

In Desolation, I was in the second overflow that had another overflow ;_;
    I feel your pain >< They really should do something about guesting on servers like Deso that already has a huge community.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    So, I have a new derogatory nickname for "Season One Living Story": 50 Shades of Scarlet :P
    She doesn't even deserve a title that good. And that's saying something because I thought the whole 50 Shades of Grey was retarded. The only title she deserves is "Scarlet the Mulched".