Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    Might be good of them, but they're in for a very tough and bloody fight. These Cartels are powerful because they act, they move quickly and they're ruthless.
    The cartels specialize in kidnapping, murder and torture, but can they handle being pressed on in a full-scale civil war? It's like with bullies. They're good at threatening people, but when it comes down to actual fists to the face, they often turn out to be unprepared.

Vices video on the vigilantes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XiSnCt9fDc

Even the Mormons are getting in on the action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpIyaIHsJbc

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No that's not obvious. I'm not seeing any reports of elections here.
    People are not forced to join the militia. But militia is steadily growing. So, consent is given or else militia would not be growing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Problem isn't that black and white, even if they manage to fight of 1 or 2 cartels, they will make the ones that are left more powerfull because of the powervacuum :/
    I fear this problem isn't going to be solved in the next decade.
    The current situation is unacceptable. It would take time to fill the vaccum. U.S. can fill the vaccum, better than the alternative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Power Vacuum => Armed Mob => Mafia/Warlords
    You can't stop the last step from happening.

Ghandi was at least just racist and misogyn.
    Mother Theresa a sadistic religious fanatic.
    Mandela was a Terrorist for Gods sake.
    1)Theresa had crisis of faith. Hardly religious fanatic. You are skewing it way over the border. No people can truly be saintly. But she was WAY better than anyone here and anyone that been seen then.
    2)Terrorist and Freedom fighter. your terrorist is our freedom fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Just so people can see how real shit is getting in Mexico. The article includes photos of the vigilantes disarming cops, kicking cartels out of towns, and marching en masse.

It's nuts.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/me...-photos-2014-1

Mexicans refuse to disarm in Mexican Standoff

This is what people have to resort to when the system doesn't work
    I think this is what people SHOULD resort to when the system doesn't work. +1 for the civilians in Mexico tbh, they've got cojones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    The current situation is unacceptable. It would take time to fill the vaccum. U.S. can fill the vaccum, better than the alternative.
    To sell more weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    2)Terrorist and Freedom fighter. your terrorist is our freedom fighter.
    quoted for truth.

This sounds good in theory. Until you realize how utterly amoral and cruel the Cartels are. The vigilantes will learn such when the Cartels start going after their families. Abducting their wives and children and doing god knows what to them, before beheading them and hanging their corpses from street lamps and overpasses.

It is a desperate situation, I understand. But a heavy price will be paid whether they find success or not...
    ( ; , , ; )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    I think this is what people SHOULD resort to when the system doesn't work. +1 for the civilians in Mexico tbh, they've got cojones.
    Always reminds me of this

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vightnic View Post
    This sounds good in theory. Until you realize how utterly amoral and cruel the Cartels are. The vigilantes will learn such when the Cartels start going after their families. Abducting their wives and children and doing god knows what to them, before beheading them and hanging their corpses from street lamps and overpasses.

It is a desperate situation, I understand. But a heavy price will be paid whether they find success or not...
    Then the cartels will start shitting themselves when they find that their actions backfire on them.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by lavafoxx View Post
    Then the cartels will start shitting themselves when they find that their actions backfire on them.
    Yeah they're really scared of violence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah they're really scared of violence.
    What's your solution to all this?

You make it sound like it's, I dunno..immoral for these Mexican civilians to do this. If they don't do anything to try and fix the problem that their law enforcement/government is incapable or doing, do they just continue living around such horrid conditions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermane View Post

You make it sound like it's, I dunno..immoral for these Mexican civilians to do this. If they don't do anything to try and fix the problem that their law enforcement/government is incapable or doing, do they just continue living around such horrid conditions?
    He was referring to the Cartels.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    He was referring to the Cartels.
    I was referring to the overall situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermane View Post

I see absolutely no reason to think this will fix the problem. The problem isn't the cartels the problem is the country is stuck in a situation that makes in difficult to govern, often largely for reasons outside the Mexican government's authority, our drug policies for instance. The cartels are just a symptom of that.

The mexican government is not great. Making them fight both cartels and what amount to insurrections makes it worse.

I mean what these groups are doing is far beyond self defense. They act as "law enforcement" (though I'm not sure you can be called that when you're simultaneously defying the government), they disarm police officers, they march into towns and effectively take over. There's a lot to indicate that the people in the area don't like the vigilante gangs much more than the cartels. There are villages that have made active efforts to stop the gangs from coming in and taking over. As far as I can tell its just one criminal organization being traded for another that is slightly less bad for the time being.

The cartel that they're fighting right now? The Knight's Templar? Law enforcement in Mexico is pretty sure this is how they started, as a vigilante group fighting the Zetas.

The point is this, asking what the solution is with regard to what poor farmers in Mexico should be doing is nonsensical because the solution can't come from them.