Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    Isn't TN very similar to IPS? They are both types of TFT LCD's. I did some research recently, as I've just bought a new monitor.This is what I read. It also states that IPS displays are plagued by slow response times.

IPS isn't always better :

I'd imagine the monitor in question is going to be the higher end of TN panels, Which would make it better than half the IPS screens, and probably cheaper than them too. The article is rather old now though, and probably wrong as of now, I don't know, others may know better than me.

A simple conclusion would be :
    IPS - Photographers/Photoshopers. e.t.c - better colour and quality - slow response
    TN - Gamers and general use, not so great colour, brilliant response times, allot cheaper.
    Nooo TN is not similar. Just because they're TFT panel doesn't make them similar.

and yes a high quality TN panel can have better coverage and such as I've posted before. Similarly though a high quality TN panel is expensive and rare. A $250 IPS can be comparable in terms of image quality to a $500 TN panel. A $500 IPS however will have a hell of a lot better color coverage like the U2413.

Written response time means jack shit. Rather look at reviews. Doesn't include compensation and input lag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    That's a bit old but isn't it 1080p and isn't it actually 120hz if you were going to use it for gaming? iirc the 240hz was done by some shady method and causes input lag
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_fg2421.htm

Response and input lag are pretty decent if you decide to ignore the two gigantic spikes but average of 8ms response and 14ms /18ms on 'turbo' input is pretty good.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-01-18 at 06:23 PM.

well my £120 BenQ monitor is freaking amazing. It looks crystal clear to me, I cant work out in my head what could possibly look so much better to justify it being more than double the price. That was moving up from a original dell ultrasharp (that's a fair few years old) So I may be blind to the difference :S But this monitors awesome, I don't see how something can be better than awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    A simple conclusion would be :
    IPS - Photographers/Photoshopers. e.t.c - better colour and quality - slow response
    TN - Gamers and general use, not so great colour, brilliant response times, allot cheaper.
    My problem with TN are the viewing angles. I have a NEC MVA 24" but also a Samsung TN 24", and when I lower my head like 20 cm on the TN, it already starts to get dark and colors look completely off the scale. That's just not really acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevoc View Post
    My problem with TN are the viewing angles. I have a NEC MVA 24" but also a Samsung TN 24", and when I lower my head like 20 cm on the TN, it already starts to get dark and colors look completely off the scale. That's just not really acceptable.
    Your not meant to sit with your chin on your desk though, Ergonomically speaking, your eyes should be in line with the top of your monitor if not, then your sat wrong which prevents that problem occurring :P

Yeah, and when someone else is on my PC, I'm not meant to sit somewhere at the side and watch the monitor. Ergonomically speaking, I should kick him of the chair and take control myself. :-P

I'll just stay away from technologies that do not offer at least 178°/178° viewing angles :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    "As good as IPS". At what price range?

At $800 you can get a 10bit AH-IPS 27in 1440p with 100% sRGB 99% adobe RGB gamut accuracy.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236343

A $300 monitor IPS (mine basically) has an accuracy of sRGB 100% adobe RGB gamut 92-93% if I remember correctly nope messed up that number. If a TN panel can manage that actually I'd be pretty impress.

I basically took the most expensive one I could find at $500.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6963/b...tor-reviewed/2
    At sRGB 93% which is good adobe RGB gamut 70.9% which is above average for a TN panel.
    Official page puts 72% but seeing varying reviews have different numbers, eh.
    To be honest the BenQ doesn't have that good numbers. Sure for most TN panels they're good but when looking at something like the Asus VG278HE which is cheaper, it has better numbers. Both monitors come with horrible calibrated colors but when calibrated the BenQ only has a static contrast of 800:1 and the Asus has 1000:1 which is as good as IPS displays get.

Also the Asus PA279Q is garbage. Yes, it has 10bit but the controller doesn't work linear so that it's impossible to calibrate it. Also when calibrated the contrast is reduced to only 800:1 (down from 960:1) and sRGB is down to 95% (from 100%) and AdobeRGB also down to 95% (from 98%).

I must say that I was blind for IPS in the past but there are some very good TN panels out there that are as good as good IPS panels but lack the viewing angle. Most important is 100% sRGB and a very high contrast (above 1000:1 is a must in my opinion). AdobeRGB isn't that important and is for gaming even a bad thing because it has a too big colorspace and will fuck up your colors. I use a Fujitsu P27T-7 which is hardware calibrated so that I have perfect colors in all software I use.

As for the Asus Swift. You have to wait for the reviews. Most of the newer Asus monitors like the PA279Q or the 24" model from the PA series or even the 32" 4k monitor are disappointing because you can't calibrate them properly and have a low contrast of only 800:1 (the 32" has 760:1). Their PA series is advertised as a product for professionals but has so many little flaws that it can't play in that field. What worries me the most about the Swift is that it's a 27" TN panel. 27" is big and you get some color distortions already on IPS panels in the corners of the panel. I can't imagine how it'll be on a TN panel with a smaller viewing angle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    To be honest the BenQ doesn't have that good numbers. Sure for most TN panels they're good but when looking at something like the Asus VG278HE which is cheaper, it has better numbers. Both monitors come with horrible calibrated colors but when calibrated the BenQ only has a static contrast of 800:1 and the Asus has 1000:1 which is as good as IPS displays get.

Also the Asus PA279Q is garbage. Yes, it has 10bit but the controller doesn't work linear so that it's impossible to calibrate it. Also when calibrated the contrast is reduced to only 800:1 (down from 960:1) and sRGB is down to 95% (from 100%) and AdobeRGB also down to 95% (from 98%).

I must say that I was blind for IPS in the past but there are some very good TN panels out there that are as good as good IPS panels but lack the viewing angle. Most important is 100% sRGB and a very high contrast (above 1000:1 is a must in my opinion). AdobeRGB isn't that important and is for gaming even a bad thing because it has a too big colorspace and will fuck up your colors. I use a Fujitsu P27T-7 which is hardware calibrated so that I have perfect colors in all software I use.

As for the Asus Swift. You have to wait for the reviews. Most of the newer Asus monitors like the PA279Q or the 24" model from the PA series or even the 32" 4k monitor are disappointing because you can't calibrate them properly and have a low contrast of only 800:1 (the 32" has 760:1). Their PA series is advertised as a product for professionals but has so many little flaws that it can't play in that field. What worries me the most about the Swift is that it's a 27" TN panel. 27" is big and you get some color distortions already on IPS panels in the corners of the panel. I can't imagine how it'll be on a TN panel with a smaller viewing angle.
    Just a note, I took the PA279Q as an example, it is not a monitor I would pick in the first place. As for the contrast ratio, just going off by this, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3638-5.html once calibrated low end is 965. It depends on how they test it as it can differ so I can't say much in terms of numbers off multiple reviews.
    Yes I realize it's not the best monitor, hence I wouldn't pick it. Asus is decent for low end to medium price range. Basically $400 or less.
    No I've never looked at reviews for VG278HE. 27inch at 1080 isn't for me.
    And like I said before, I'd pick a better TN panel over an IPS depending on how it performs.

Yes I know Adobe RGB is useless for basically anything non professional work as for fucking up the color it shouldn't. It should only be 'fucked up' because you're comparing an sRGB to Adobe RGB leaving it different in color as you're not used to. Most things are taken and displayed in sRGB which does lend it self pointless to most application.

Yeah, I doubt color uniformity will be great for the Asus Swift. I personally have no interest as I have other monitors I want.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-01-18 at 07:49 PM.