Deleted

PC monitor Upgrade

Hey guys, ive recently built myself a new PC gaming rig and have slowly been replacing some real old peripherals. Playing on my PC is a dream atm but the last piece i want to upgrade is my monitor.

Im currently using a 7-8 year old 24inch plasma Dell monitor.

I have been recommended the BenQ XL2420T (http://benq.co.uk/product/monitor/xl2420t) Which i really like the look of. My only concern is that it says 'optimised for FPS games'. While i play FPS i also play a tonne of other games and dont want them to suffer (cant imagine this is a problem). Anyone using this monitor? Any other suggestions? Let me know!

Yup that will be a good one

I am using something similar, probably not as good if that BenQ is a recent model. Acer GD245HQ I use. Massive upgrade from my previous monitor too. Love it mate, I paid £300 about 2 years ago, not sure how much its going for now

Deleted
    Thanks for the reply pretty stoked to get a new monitor now.

Quick tech question for anybody: Does having a 'better' monitor put more demand on your PC?

A monitor will never "demand" more but if it's for example 120/240hz or a higher resolution than 1920x1080 it will tax more if you want to utilize those features.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    Thanks for the reply pretty stoked to get a new monitor now.

Quick tech question for anybody: Does having a 'better' monitor put more demand on your PC?
    Depends. If you're playing at a higher resolution, technically yes. If you want to have higher fps to take advantage of the higher refresh rate, yes. Just plugging in the thing and having it run, no. Review I read for it is pretty good albeit on the pricey side for a TN panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    A monitor will never "demand" more but if it's for example 120/240hz or a higher resolution than 1920x1080 it will tax more if you want to utilize those features.
    Does Refresh Rate really demand more from your PC? Resolution increases are obvious but I figured if the monitor didn't draw more information, wouldn't your PC act the same at 120Hz vs 240Hz?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Depends. If you're playing at a higher resolution, technically yes. If you want to have higher fps to take advantage of the higher refresh rate, yes. Just plugging in the thing and having it run, no. Review I read for it is pretty good albeit on the pricey side for a TN panel.
    Update to my last post. ^The above makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Does Refresh Rate really demand more from your PC? Resolution increases are obvious but I figured if the monitor didn't draw more information, wouldn't your PC act the same at 120Hz vs 240Hz?
    It doesn't demand more from your PC. Maybe your power socket.

However if you're playing at a constant 50FPS on a 120Hz monitor, you're not going to advantage of the 120Hz, which kind of makes the whole point of the refresh rate moot. 120Hz being 120 refreshes per second, which translates to 120FPS. Most monitors are 60Hz, so going beyond 60FPS is also pointless on a 60Hz monitor.

Deleted
    Right now, everyone is better off waiting 6 months -if possible- for a new monitor. We've got a lot of new monitors on the way that are higher resolution than 1080p (2560x1440 up to 3840x2160)
    Once these new monitors are on the market (Some already are) 1080p monitors will go down significantly in price, or for the same price as they cost right now you'd end up with a 2560x1440 monitor.

120hz means 120 fps which is double the normal 60hz/fps so you need double the computer power to run games at the higher hz/fps, same goes for 240hz ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Update to my last post. ^The above makes sense.
    As long as VSync isn't turned on yes.