Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Top 10 Most Profitable F2P games (plus WoW)

here is the reference: http://www.superdataresearch.com/blo...-games-market/

For Both WoW and SWTOR, only online micro-transaction sales are reported here, not the revenue from subscription.

The take away number is a global digital sales across all segments (subscription, microtransaction, DLC, ...) in the US in 2013 of $11,766 millions, against $10,582 million last year

Here is a breakdown on where the money went

The microtransaction for pure F2P games are growing by 45% while microtransaction for subcription games is down by 21%.

Seems to me that F2P model is not going anywhere anytime soon.
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2014-01-20 at 03:48 PM.

Deleted
    I find it hard to belive tf2 makes more money than dota 2

Quote Originally Posted by Puffler View Post
    People love those hats.

And I've never heard of Crossfire either.

I'm also boggled that World of Tanks makes that much. The micro transactions aren't actually all that micro, they are overly expensive! I guess people can't be bothered to grind through each tier and just go and buy a tier 8 premium - and prompty suck with them, annoying all the players who've played thousands of games to get to the same tier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    People love those hats.

I'm also boggled that World of Tanks makes that much. The micro transactions aren't actually all that micro, they are overly expensive! I guess people can't be bothered to grind through each tier and just go and buy a tier 8 premium - and prompty suck with them, annoying all the players who've played thousands of games to get to the same tier.
    Well if tf2 had the number of players dota did i wouldn't be suprised, but dota 2 has a lot more players - guess tf2 people are prepared to pay for stuff more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    People love those hats.

Wot is overpriced more than wow. Thats why its so high. (and yeah you are forced to buy it there because they nerfed any good way of making money for repairs)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Puffler View Post
    TF2 and the Mann Co. store have been around longer than DOTA 2. It just needs time to catch up.

Crossfire must be huge in Europe or something. It must also cost a crap ton of money to play for it to beat most of it's competitors. I've never heard of it. No one in my group has heard of it.

I also have never heard of Crossfire, how does this game make more than LoL?

And this is why Blizzard needs to embrace microtransactions. It's the way the business is going; Subscription model games just aren't selling, as you can see in the second image.

All this complaining about the level 90s being sold in the store. It's necessary to survive these days. If you don't want it to be necessary, then stop buying microtransactions. If they didn't sell, then you wouldn't see them! It's that simple.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    Crossfire must be huge in Europe or something. It must also cost a crap ton of money to play for it to beat most of it's competitors. I've never heard of it. No one in my group has heard of it.
    "You can blame my Western-centric viewpoint for that, I suppose, as I’m not involved enough in the Asian scene to realize just how insanely popular CrossFire is across Korea, China, the Philippines and more. The free-to-play shooter brings in $957M in annual revenue from its microtransactions, beating out presumed number one, League of Legends. Interestingly, both are mostly owned by Chinese online giant Tencent, the secretly massive company that seems have a finger in an infinite number of pies lately. More on them here via Polygon’s investigative report."
    from Forbes.com

the general rule is "if you don't know it but it's popular, it's big in Asia"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    It's not big in Europe but it's pretty massive in China & Korea I believe.

Deleted
    This has to be fake ! I have never heard of this crossfire game and now when i look at it..... worse version of cs+quake.

Again ! I have never heard of it, would never think it would make in any top 10 ranking and; Im from Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Here is a breakdown on where the money went

The microtransaction for pure F2P games are growing by 45% while microtransaction for subcription games is down by 21%.
    Buckle in.

We are going to see this figure thrown around a lot over the next 2 to 3 years.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    What the hell is Crossfire?

Also, Blizzard makes like 1 billion and a half just from subscriptions

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    the general rule is "if you don't know it but it's popular, it's big in Asia"
    The table said Worldwide F2P earning. So that game could be big in asia, i don't know.

Then again, if crossfire generates a billion from asian market, i would understand why blizzard sought to infiltrate that market with MOP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    What the hell is Crossfire?

Also, Blizzard makes like 1 billion and a half just from subscriptions
    i don't think that is the case, not all subcription have monthly fee associated.

WoW makes that much just out of the BlizzStore?

... well shit. There goes any hope of the store being toned down. Prepare yourselves for even more stupid cash-ins to nickle and dime you on top of your sub fee.

Buyable 90s pretty much confirmed now, 100s will propably follow suit soon enough.
    Entry level raid gear, challenge mode Tmog sets... the possibilities are endless.

Deleted
    I've never heard of this Crossfire game ...

And I'm quite surprised that SWTOR does that well compared to other MMOs ... well... good for them?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    I've never heard of this Crossfire game ...

And I'm quite surprised that SWTOR does that well compared to other MMOs ... well... good for them?
    that's not the whole story. SWTOR might be making a few millions more with subcriptions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Wot is overpriced more than wow. Thats why its so high. (and yeah you are forced to buy it there because they nerfed any good way of making money for repairs)
    Stop shooting HEAT with your E-100 lolherpderp 15 cm cannon/use gold ammunition in general, drive a good t5-6-7 tank ( i recommend a Cromwell or a Hellcat for example, or a KV-1S to tell everyone how much you hate them ), problem solved.

Am I really the only person here that's annoyed that Lineage is still around and making so much money? God, I hate those games.

I'm surprised World of Tanks and Dungeon Fighter Online make so much money, and I had never heard of Crossfire before this topic either.