Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

is having 2 disc priests in a 10 man raid group workable?

ok, i had decided to stop raiding after garrosh but my old gm has asked me to come back & give it another try. the only problem is she is now a disc priest, whereas before she was holy. were going to be raiding with a (if i decide to come back) with a resto druid or resto shammy & was wondering if this will/could work out? im not so sure.

Viable, yes. Optimal, no.
    Basically any other kind of healer pairs well with a disc priest, except another disc priest.

I have to agree with the other poster. More than one Disc and you get diminishing returns, same with other healers. Disc priests have weak (no) healing CDs to respond to incoming damage besides Barrier (which is proactive), and have the hardest time recovering compared to other healers. Discs are proactive damage prevention, so they're best paired with a throughput healer. Otherwise, you just accentuate their weaknesses.

Really, it depends on what content you're doing. With a decent group at this stage in progression, double disc is perfectly fine for the first few heroics. It's hardly bleeding edge anymore.

I'm curious what you mean by this though,

were going to be raiding with a (if i decide to come back) with a resto druid or resto shammy & was wondering if this will/could work out? im not so sure.
    So with you they'll have four healers in a 10m roster? It seems excessive. Disc + Shaman + Druid is a very ideal healing comp, with the shaman swapping to DPS for fights. Why would they need a fourth healer?
    Last edited by Larynx; 2014-01-13 at 06:08 PM.

It may also suck too that only two pieces of loot per boss drop and sometimes that can be a pain, especially when two need the same exact things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    ok, i had decided to stop raiding after garrosh but my old gm has asked me to come back & give it another try. the only problem is she is now a disc priest, whereas before she was holy. were going to be raiding with a (if i decide to come back) with a resto druid or resto shammy & was wondering if this will/could work out? im not so sure.
    We've been healing with Disc/Disc/RestoShaman since late ToT. It works absolutely splendidly. One of our Disc priests is stacking Spirit (to 18k) > Mastery > Crit and spamming PW:S in Inner Will. The other is favoring Crit > Spirit (to 12k) > Mastery and spamming Atonement in Inner Fire. There ends up being fairly little conflict between the two.

So far, it has only caused us problems once: H Thok seems to demand more throughput than we can provide. We're skipping it and moving on to Blackfuse. We'll come back when we overgear it harder.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    And also now we can design gear to show off the male human high res nipples/chest hair.

Quote Originally Posted by espoire View Post
    We've been healing with Disc/Disc/RestoShaman since late ToT. It works absolutely splendidly. One of our Disc priests is stacking Spirit (to 18k) > Mastery > Crit and spamming PW:S in Inner Will. The other is favoring Crit > Spirit (to 12k) > Mastery and spamming Atonement in Inner Fire.
    I don't understand the point of this. Having more than one disc priest shouldn't change the playstyle or stat priorities.

Spirit to 18k? What kind of advice is that for a disc priest...even if you're PW:Shield spamming, 18k is way too much...especially if you get siege spirit/int trinket.

Deleted
    18k spirit on a disc? WHAT?! I have 3902 spirit and I am prone to shield spam and I rarely ever OOM prematurely unless it's a pretty dire fail.

You get a severe lack of raid healing if you go only double disc. Sure you can make it work on all fights in this tier but you're going to struggle a lot on some fights like Juggernaut, Malkorok, Thok and probably Klaxxi. It's unnecessary to gimp your raid with a setup of double disc. You need at least another healer spec that can push real healing and not >50% absorbs.

Deleted
    You always need a Group-Healer paired with a Disc Priest because they are quite bad at healing the whole raid. I could imagine Holy + Disc Priest as a working team though. Why not just have one of the two priests respec? Or do you and your Raidlead insist on "I WANT TO PUSH THE SMITE BUTTON ALL FIGHT LONG OR I QUIT"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleze View Post
    18k spirit on a disc? WHAT?! I have 3902 spirit and I am prone to shield spam and I rarely ever OOM prematurely unless it's a pretty dire fail.
    If you have a legendary meta you can get away with extremely low spirit. However, not everyone has legendary meta - alts, rerolls, returning players etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaige View Post
    If you have a legendary meta you can get away with extremely low spirit. However, not everyone has legendary meta - alts, rerolls, returning players etc.
    even without legendary, gear or whatever, in a 10 man raid with 2 hymns and a mana tide it's waaaay too much.

Back to the OP : it could work on some fights with very good co-ordination between the 2 discs.
    Going holy would be much better cause you'll be able to get the best of both specs instead of cancelling each other.

Its not as bad as it used to be when PW:S spamming was our main job, but yeah, like others have posted; we have no "oh shit" healing CD

The only time I feel double disc in 10h is a burden would be thok(well, holy priest is garbage here as well so tough luck) and siegecrafter.

On juggernauts just let one of the priests handle all pw:s(on lasers) and the other one just atonement non-stop, same with every fight where you might need to shield. With 9k spirit, no innervates/tides and 2 healing almost everything on H I don't even track rapture I have far too much mana.

are 600k absorbs from double atonement workable? rapture isn't really a thing anymore, you just PWS whatever you can when lucidity procs, and if rapture procs when the pws gets consumed that's a plus. the only fights where double disc would be 'difficult' would be fights where you 3 heal anyways (which nowadays is really only thok - but pushing earlier and abusing the free dps you get from disc on this fight would be a viable alternative to the normal stack till ~25 as much as you can). double disc divine stars on thok would be insane for 10s. considering sc and garrosh have been solo healed by discs, you should be fine with two discs.

also 18k spirit what. why are you having one person do nothing but cast weak (no inner fire) PWS when you could have both priests track weakened soul debuffs and not be trash? if you guys can't figure this out, you're not going to kill hsc.
    Last edited by snaxattax; 2014-01-14 at 06:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clebane View Post
    Viable, yes. Optimal, yes.
    fixed for you
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

Quote Originally Posted by Clebane View Post
    Viable, yes. Optimal, no.
    Basically any other kind of healer pairs well with a disc priest, except another disc priest.
    Actually, as OP as Disc is right now, I really wouldn't see a problem with it. In Heroics, as much damage that's going out you wouldn't even need to shield the tanks to benefit from Rapture.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Actually, as OP as Disc is right now, I really wouldn't see a problem with it. In Heroics, as much damage that's going out you wouldn't even need to shield the tanks to benefit from Rapture.
    Disc isn't OP in 10m, which this thread is about.

At the mid 570s they generally outheal everyone on every fight except for shamans on H thok(and some ppl on malkorok which can almost be 1 healed anyway) and do an extra 120+k dps which is pretty good in 10s. They are pretty much the best in a "you really should have one for min maxing" way.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Disc isn't OP in 10m, which this thread is about.
    Yes it is.