Anyone have a 4K they love?

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a new 4K monitor and I'm not really familiar with IPS or really anything that's "current" beyond 1920x1080. I think I have the hardware to support it but there are so many choices and with it being "new" tech, I don't see a ton of reviews. Would love any input or recommendations you guys have.

Thanks~!

From what I have read, going 4k atm would be a pretty bad decision. Wait a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    From what I have read, going 4k atm would be a pretty bad decision. Wait a couple of years.
    Based on hardware or price?

Hardware. Most of the consumer grade ones are only 30hz refresh rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Based on hardware or price?
    Both really. Price for a 30in 4k IPS is 2.5k+ I believe.

As for gaming
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_up3214q.htm
    Important 4k Consideration - Updated 15/1/14 - the UP3214Q is actually seen by Windows by default as two displays when running at 60Hz refresh rate, and if you look in the 'display properties' section (shown above) you will see the single screen appears as if it were two 1920 x 2160 resolution displays. You may need to select the "extend these displays" option here, and you might need to switch round which "display" is primary, and which is secondary in the menu, if the taskbar/start menu appear on the wrong half of the screen. This is the same as all other current 4k screens at 60Hz which use MulitStream to drive 60Hz refresh rate. If you switch back to 30Hz refresh rate the screen shows as a single display again by default.
    Kind of way to get around it is
    It is also possible to get the screen to behave as if it were a single display when running at 60Hz. On AMD cards (like the one we are using for testing here) you can enable the Eyefinity setup within the Catalyst Control Center. Select the first display as the "preferred display" and follow it through the steps to add in the second as shown below:

The same kind of thing can be achieved through NVIDIA cards as well so it is at least possible to get the display detected as a single screen if you need to. Your graphics card, software and drivers must be able to handle this of course but it should be supported fairly widely. This is a good way to overcome the issue with the screen acting as two displays and we were pleased to learn of it, albeit a few days after the review was originally published.
    Still, costs a butt load for a 4k monitor.

Dell is putting out a $700(?) TN 4k at some point. So if you're still looking for one, can check that. No idea about the quality of it but it's there.

To boot you'll need some beefy GPU(s) just to run games at 4k.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-01-20 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks for the extremely useful info. I'll look at the options and possibly upgrade to an SLI to handle one.

Most 4k panels are only 30Hz (can't display over 30 FPS). If you want one that can go to 60Hz, you'll need this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824260146

AFAIK that's the only 60Hz 4k display available. Not to mention, you'll need around $2,000 worth of 3 780 Ti's just to handle it with acceptable performance.
    Last edited by glo; 2014-01-21 at 02:59 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Most 4k panels are only 30Hz (can't display over 30 FPS). If you want one that can go to 60Hz, you'll need this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824260146

AFAIK that's the only 60Hz 4k display available. Not to mention, you'll need around $2,000 worth of 3 780 Ti's just to handle it with acceptable performance.
    It's still technically 2 1920x2160 panes running at 60Hz if you want it to run in 60Hz, otherwise it's 30Hz. Linked the review thingy above.