Poll: What new paid-for features we will get in the first year of WoD?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    And considering they outright said they will never sell anything labelled as "Pay to Win", none of these will ever be implemented.
    Not that I'm arguing your point, but they also once outright said they would never enable faction transfers, too. Remind me again how that turned out?

I think to not expect some form of paid in game currency (eg valor) boost at this stage is now foolish.

It's ok, like the boost to 90, it's not pay to win if it's pay to skip.
    - Blizzard and Blizzard apologist logic
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt they'll add anything else to be honest, unless it went Free 2 Play.

Fantastic Signature made by Maybenotquiteasheavy

mye guess is starter gear for pvp and pve. Full blue set and weapons

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Not that I'm arguing your point, but they also once outright said they would never enable faction transfers, too. Remind me again how that turned out?
    To be fair, Blizzard have for some time now made a point of stating that they intentionally avoid using words like "never" and "always".

What they will say is things like "For the foreseeable future" or "no plans at this time".

Times change. The game changes. No one, not even Blizzard can accurately predict infinitely far into future and know with any degree of certainty how things will change.

Five years ago most players would have been horrified at the thought of a paid feature to boost your character to level cap. But today many want such a future and most accept it, because it is now an appropriate and sensible feature.

What I would argue is that as long as WoW remains a subscription model they will almost certainly avoid adding "Pay-to-Win" features (as I defined them in post #60 above) to the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I think to not expect some form of paid in game currency (eg valor) boost at this stage is now foolish.

It's ok, like the boost to 90, it's not pay to win if it's pay to skip.
    - Blizzard and Blizzard apologist logic
    Except that I haven't yet seen even a single advocate of paid 90 advocating a paid VP boost. And I am pretty certain I have seen blues saying that there is fundamental difference between a level boost and VP boost. Which makes your argument one of the strawman variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Except that I haven't yet seen even a single advocate of paid 90 advocating a paid VP boost. And I am pretty certain I have seen blues saying that there is fundamental difference between a level boost and VP boost. Which makes your argument one of the strawman variety.
    If Blizzard add a paid-for valor cap, you'll see enough people defending that glorious choice, I can assure you.

The blues said many different things over the years. They said "we will never do X" to only do X a number of times, it was like that with transfers from PVE servers to PVP servers, for example, and with rolling both Horde and Alliance on the same PVP server.

More importantly, you simply can't trust blues on topics that concern money. You just never get to hear the guys who are actually in control of that, all you get is some CMs (devs are usually wiser than be talking about things that touch money, thankfully). Not to mention that today it's one guy in control and so we are doing subs, and tomorrow it's another guy in control - or the first guy changed his mind - and so it's microtransactions.

/shrug

I don't think you understand what a strawman or agument is.
    I am the lucid dream

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I don't think you understand what a strawman or agument is.
    Let's see:

What are you attacking? "Blizzard and Blizzard apologist logic"

How are you attacking it? You are creating a fictional argument which is easily ridiculed (the strawman) and attributing it to those who, presumably, are defending paid Level Boost, when in fact none of those people have ever made that argument.

Deleted
    Additional currencies like Warforged Seals are a good bet.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    If Blizzard add a paid-for valor cap, you'll see enough people defending that glorious choice, I can assure you.
    If Blizzard ever add a paid-for valor cap, the game will be very different to how it is now and most, if not all, of the current arguments against paid-for VP cap will have become obsolete, I can assure you.

The blues said many different things over the years. They said "we will never do X"
    I must admit I have never seen them say that. In fact I have often seen them correct people who attribute them having said that to "we are unlikely to do X" or "we do not plan on doing X in the foreseeable future".

Maybe, long ago they made the mistake of committing to things in absolute terms. Or maybe people just read those things and then took them as absolutes and remembered them as such even though Blizzard never actually said "never"

Either way, it's moot. The game is always changing and evolving. So are the players. Often this is in ways, and with results that no one could have predicted years ago. Things that back then might have seemed obvious can be looked at in a new light when the parameters governing them change. What is important is to understand the rationale behind such statements.

I must admit I have never seen them say that. In fact I have often seen them correct people who attribute them having said that to "we are unlikely to do X" or "we do not plan on doing X in the foreseeable future".

Maybe, long ago they made the mistake of committing to things in absolute terms. Or maybe people just read those things and then took them as absolutes and remembered them as such even though Blizzard never actually said "never"
    I can't find the exact quotes from blues (there were several), because the old forums are no longer available and the wayback machine does not cache them, but here's an article on one of the first exceptions from "no transfer from PVE to PVP" rule on WoW Insider:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/04/12/do...-anytime-soon/

Read it. It's hilarious.

"You can transfer your character from a PvP server to a PvE server, but not the other way around. Some folks see this as discriminating against the PvP servers, while others see it as a good thing. Blizzard is firmly on the side of those that see it as good. In a recent blue post Bornakk has came out and said that while the option is there, they have no plans to allow it. Apparently this has "been on the table" for the past two years. Personally, I'm glad they won't be allowing this. <lots of rationalizations why>"

The comments are hilarious as well, eg:

"The main reason that PVE->PVP transfers is not fair is because the PVP realm player had to endure the extra pain of leveling a character on a PVP server due to the constant threat of being ganked. This does not occur on a PVE server. Blizzard tried PVE->PVP xfers once and the (pre-BC) PVE lev 60 transfers spent their whole time ganking lowbies since they never got to do that during their time on the PVE server. There were an extraordinary number of griefing petitions filed. Mark my words, Blizzard won't do it again."

And this comment from a similar thread on wowhead is just pure gold:

"Personally I never did see the problem with transfering from pve -> pvp. So what if its easier to level on a pve server? With nerf after nerf leveling is becoming faster and faster, ..." -- "It's a slippery slope you're on here though. While I respect the reason why, I think there is a certain amount of difference in where you level up to make it significant to the people on the server. Is the next thing on the list "Pay an extra $10 and blizzard will supply you with a level 70 character, complete with 500 gold?" Then how would you view that on any server? It's something you could have done, seeing how easy it is to level up anyway right?"

What can I say, the second guy was right about the second thing (and about the first as well, although he should have argued against paid transfers in general and not just paid transfers from PVE to PVP).
    Last edited by rda; 2014-01-23 at 03:00 PM.

Let's see:

What are you attacking? "Blizzard and Blizzard apologist logic"

How are you attacking it? You are creating a fictional argument which is easily ridiculed (the strawman) and attributing it to those who, presumably, are defending paid Level Boost, when in fact none of those people have ever made that argument.
    The irony is overwhelming. You've actually concocted an argument to fill the place of my opinion and mockery so you can debunk it as a strawman.
    I am the lucid dream

10+ Year Old Account
    That's because paid-for valor cap doesn't affect anyone else's gameplay. VP has a weekly cap, whether you buy it or not. Getting VP doesn't require any skill. Looking at 2 characters who are capped on VP, it is impossible to distinguish which 1 bought the VP and which 1 grinded it out.

Buying a higher VP cap is definitely P2W.

10+ Year Old Account
    So many people clamoring for more paid services. I find it shocking.

Most defenders are welfare receivers.
    They don't have to work for the real money.

They are lazy in both real and WoW life.

15+ Year Old Account
    ENOUGH of these stupid P2W-related threads, cant u post it in any of the other 8495984584 threads?
    And NO ,they WILL stop on mount, pet, boost to 90, Blizzard knows how much they can stretch it.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Pretty sure several of the above. Why would they stop at pets/mounts/levels boosts/transmog items/tgc stuff (LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    That's because paid-for valor cap doesn't affect anyone else's gameplay. VP has a weekly cap, whether you buy it or not. Getting VP doesn't require any skill. Looking at 2 characters who are capped on VP, it is impossible to distinguish which 1 bought the VP and which 1 grinded it out.

Buying a higher VP cap is definitely P2W.
    You see? You have already found a way to be at piece with them selling valor caps. Same for conquest caps, I suppose. Maybe same for weekly proceeds from farm and the like (hey, it's just time, you go and plant your 16 crops, then tend to each performing a simple action, that's something like 10 minutes a day, all of it pretty mechanical, so why would anyone be opposed to just buying that for $5 / week or so, right?) - that would be buying profession mats. "We already have X, that's half of Y, so why not Y."

Slippery slope. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Most defenders are welfare receivers.
    They don't have to work for the real money.
    And you pulled this rabbit out of your ass...how, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    That's because paid-for valor cap doesn't affect anyone else's gameplay.
    Yes it does. Like or not, you are always competing with other players for things that have limited supply (guild spots, AH goods, mining nodes, etc. etc.). Buying power (lvl 90 characters, VP, etc.) gives you an advantage over other players, which is what we call "pay2win". You get an advantage because those who do not spend money have to use their time get those lvl 90s or VP or whatever, while you've already got them and can do something else.