Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    Because people steal enough from their companies. Like a thread I saw yesterday about what people do at work and people responding with playing video games and browsing forums. Giving people time off for grievance would only result in these criminals requesting time off for every distant relative dying whether they knew them or not.
    Yes, because clearly, punishing the innocent for the behavior of the crooked has worked so well in other aspects like piracy, drugs, and riots/protests/peaceful assembly.

Your bridge is showing, dear, might want to go scuttle back under it. No toll for you.

edit: And as another poster noted, employees aren't beholden to lick the boots of the company they work for. I've worked jobs where my bosses have fucked me over as hard as they could get away with, and I've returned the favor. See, I'm worldly enough to realize not everyone lucks into the kind of job I have now, where I can do what I love and get paid a livable wage for it, with bosses who genuinely care about their employees' well-being. So, no, I don't feel any pity for companies that get 'stolen from' by the little man when they pay people who've kissed the right ass more than the cubicle worker makes in a month to go out and play golf with some other fat sociopath.
    Last edited by Thage; 2014-01-22 at 04:30 PM.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    A friend of the family died a little over a year ago, and when I asked my boss if I could go to the funeral he said that I could take the entire day off. He said it was completely understandable, no arguments from his side, and for future reference it'll be always okay in the future as long as I notify him in a timely fashion, like I did. Didn't affect my salary or anything.
    See thats just how it happened with me, I notified my boss well in advance and they still refused.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Some years ago, when I worked in a chemists, a good friend of mine died at the age of 30, and I was pretty torn up about it. His boyfriend and family arranged a large funeral in the local church, and loads of people came, since he was the kind of man who knew so many people and everyone liked him.
    There is no "acceptable" time frame, everyone is different. There are company policies but yeah if they are NOT immediate family (sorry boyfriend, girlfriend does NOT count) that determine time to grieve, they won't let you take time off to do it unless you are married, or they are parents, siblings, or children.

That's life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Pets - lol.
    I'm going to guess you've never had a pet.

Because people steal enough from their companies. Like a thread I saw yesterday about what people do at work and people responding with playing video games and browsing forums. Giving people time off for grievance would only result in these criminals requesting time off for every distant relative dying whether they knew them or not.
    What? Are you serious? Bad apples should be weeded out of any company but a blanket policy like that is ridiculous.

Given the past couple of weeks and the amount of emotional stress I've been under lately I'm pretty sure I shouldn't respond to this; but I'm going to anyway.

That statement has to be the most asinine thing I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen people actually try and defend the live action Guyver movie as good. People who take time off work to grieve for relatives that have died are not criminals and it's offensive in the extreme to even suggest such a thing. Maybe in your twisted world they should even be prosecuted for "stealing" from their employers; because we all know it's the employees that are the scum of the Earth and who should be stepped on in their most vulnerable moments.

The death of a person or a pet that someone is emotionally attached to can be devastating to the point where a person can become nonfunctional. It can lead to depression and other very bad things and forcing someone into a scenario that they aren't ready for is a very good way to make that person have an emotional breakdown, for which you could then be sued.

People should be able to take the time they genuinely need because healing is different for everyone. It's not fun and it's a pain I wouldn't wish on anyone. These people are not stealing so take that accusation and shove it.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by bayushisan View Post
    Given the past couple of weeks and the amount of emotional stress I've been under lately I'm pretty sure I shouldn't respond to this; but I'm going to anyway.

That statement has to be the most asinine thing I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen people actually try and defend the live action Guyver movie as good. People who take time off work to grieve for relatives that have died are not criminals and it's offensive in the extreme to even suggest such a thing. Maybe in your twisted world they should even be prosecuted for "stealing" from their employers; because we all know it's the employees that are the scum of the Earth and who should be stepped on in their most vulnerable moments.

The death of a person or a pet that someone is emotionally attached to can be devastating to the point where a person can become nonfunctional. It can lead to depression and other very bad things and forcing someone into a scenario that they aren't ready for is a very good way to make that person have an emotional breakdown, for which you could then be sued.

People should be able to take the time they genuinely need because healing is different for everyone. It's not fun and it's a pain I wouldn't wish on anyone. These people are not stealing so take that accusation and shove it.
    Don't worry about him. In two posts he pretty muched proved his is a company stooge. Middle management loves guys like him. All yes sir, and whatever you need. Fuck that.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    In my Company we have Bereavement Leave which covers any Immediate Family Member and will pay the employee three days at his/her normal payrate. After three days the employee can request Extended Bereavement which is unpaid but can add up to 7 additional days. If it's a non-family member the employee is allowed to take Sick, Personal, or Vacation time to cover the absence from work.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Yeah that's why I said if it's not covered by FMLA then you should just bang out sick. If you life pops up, don't go to work...if you can afford the time off. People have this strange idea that missing work days is a sin or somehow irresponsible.

The acceptable limit is what YOU the grieving deem to be acceptable. Take the time you need, but know it probably won't be paid. Paid leave is what you agree upon when offered employment.
    Many this.
    WOW.

And by that I mean any employer worth their shit has a set number of days that you agree upon in your employment agreement, but when something awful does happen will tell you "Take as much time as you need.".

When my Nephew died (unfortunately no paid leave since that's technically not immediate family) which sucked. But I was still granted an open ended leave of absence to take as much time as I needed to grieve.

EDIT: I also see some people mentioned having LIMITED unpaid LoA's for bereavement. That in my opinion is garbage. Beyond garbage. Your employer should choke.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Yes, it should be extended to close friends as well.

In my country, the legal time for this, if I remember right, is 3 days for first type relation family, and 1 day for other family... which I think is kind of stupid. It should be 5 working days for all, close friends as well.
    please, by the 3rd day you out partying and forgot about whomever - honestly if its not you SO or kids you should not be that bothered by death. it is inevitable and everybody will die.. how you gonna just break down when the inevitable comes? lol thats crazy...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Many this.
    WOW.

And by that I mean any employer worth their shit has a set number of days that you agree upon in your employment agreement, but when something awful does happen will tell you "Take as much time as you need.".

When my Nephew died (unfortunately no paid leave since that's technically not immediate family) which sucked. But I was still granted an open ended leave of absence to take as much time as I needed to grieve.

EDIT: I also see some people mentioned having LIMITED unpaid LoA's for bereavement. That in my opinion is garbage. Beyond garbage. Your employer should choke.
    lol the hostility in this post - yeah i feel the same way for the opposing side. suck it up, get over it

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Usually it's three days off for immediate family, 1 for any other family or non related persons.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    please, by the 3rd day you out partying and forgot about whomever - honestly if its not you SO or kids you should not be that bothered by death. it is inevitable and everybody will die.. how you gonna just break down when the inevitable comes? lol thats crazy...

- - - Updated - - -

lol the hostility in this post - yeah i feel the same way for the opposing side. suck it up, get over it
    I think you missed my point.

The point is that if the bereavement leave is unpaid, and an employer puts strict limitations on it, they are being a dick. The fact is, they have to replace you for the limited period of time anyways, so a 2 week unpaid LoA doesn't cost them any more than a 1 week unpaid LoA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Are aunts and uncles not immediate family? I consider them along with my grandparents to be immediate family. As do most people I know tbh.
    My nephew... my brother's freakin child, technically wasn't immediate family to me. The definition of immediate family is kind of broken.

Oh, bereavement leave. Sounded like you were skipping out on work cause you were pissed off about something.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Care to explain why?

My company offers 3 days leave for immediate family (and that includes my partner) and up to 3 days at the project manager's discretion in the case of aunts, uncles, and close friends. In practice, though, you're welcome to use your own personal time off to supplement your grievance time if it's not enough.

Kinda ridiculous they wouldn't even let you take a half day for a funeral of someone important to you.
    This is very similar to us - When I worked in the office, it was 1 day for an associate (whatever - pretty much anyone after the 90 day probation period could get this - all they needed was a funeral card) 3 days for extended family (which did include friends) and 5 days for immediate family. Depending on the project one was assigned too (or managed in my case) this could be supplemented with FMLA time (unpaid of course) or vacation time (If you had it in the bank and wanted to use it).

The vast majority of funeral leaves that I approved (of course - they still needed to go to HR for final OK) were a week for extended family and 2 weeks for immediate family. Expecting someone to be 100% at work even 3 days after a very close friend, or 5 days after someone with whom you had a close relationship is just ridiculous. The company felt it would be better to lose the person for a longer period - rather than force them back to work, miserable.

Are aunts and uncles not immediate family? I consider them along with my grandparents to be immediate family. As do most people I know tbh.
    i dont, nor does anybody i know. immediate family would be your parents (more when young, not so much when 40) your kids and your brother/sisters. not your dog, not your niece and nephews and 40grankids...

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Oh, bereavement leave. Sounded like you were skipping out on work cause you were pissed off about something.
    If grievance leave, as so defined, were a thing, I would pretty much be retired early.

The definition must be different depending on where your from then. Even still, 1 day (or none) for a dead uncle is bullshit.
    lol its the english language - unless you guys change the language to suit your needs

Most places won't give you a hard time if you need to take off for a funeral, but it really comes down to the place. There are no laws in place that require companies to give time off for things. From my experiences though, for non family members, it's pretty much the day of the funeral only. For non-direct family like grand parents, aunts, uncles, etc., about the same. Some places are willing to do up to like 3 days if you were close to them. For direct family, it seems like one week is about it.

All of those are additionally without pay from what I've seen. I don't agree with that all, but I understand it too. A business can't just up and leave things in place for someone while they take all the time they need while paying someone.

I live in the U.S. and never had a job that would give you leave off for a death, maybe they'd give you half a day for the funeral if you were lucky. My last job I had for 11 years being a department head in a warehouse, I can't even imagine what my bosses would have done if I asked for actual time off to grieve a death. When my grandmother died they let me work for 4 hours then attend the funeral.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Country dependent.

Different countries, different laws, different society values as well.
    This basically. Usually Asian countries give grievance leave for extended family and close friends while Western countries give it only for immediate family*. This of course can vary between companies too.

* generalization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Shrug. If someone close to me died I'd have no problem taking leave, however I don't do shift work.

Definitely something I'd quit over. But maybe I'm spoiled employment-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.