Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    It is enormously hypocritical when you sanctimoniously decry a group of leaders passing the judgement to have a girl raped when you yourself have elected officials in your country passing the judgement to have people murdered all the time.
    It is enormously hypocritical when you sanctimoniously denounce the opinions of others based solely on nationality. This was a horrible crime, and my status as an American does not lessen the value of my opinion on the subject. Perhaps you should consider why you feel the need to attack a nation that has no relevance to the topic at hand. Do you read topics and think "Americans having an opinion!? I'd better go knock them down a peg"?

I see it as a huge leap forward that the police actually arrested thriteen people for it.
    Ten years ago, society in India wouldn't have given much of a crap. Today, police cracks down on it. Progress is had.

It's horrible for the victim, absolutely. But I for one am happy to see that people are now standing up to these archaic oppressive ways.

Absolutely terrible! Since the elder personally participated in assaulting her, he probably chose that punishment because he wanted her.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Indeed thanks god that our first world civilization is far more better
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ing-in-a-photo

Where civilized 1st world citizens filming you while you dying in terrible pain instead of helping you and then share your violent and painful death with millions others 1st world citizens.
    lol this really ends any "third world" discussions, scumbags are all over the world in every country, nothing to do with india just your average bunch of human scumbags.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    We don't mind the rest of the world having a opinion. Why would we?

I think couping terrorists in a safe spot and the gang rape of a young woman for "crimes" doesn't really compare, but that's just my opinion.
    A large number of the prisoners are not terrorists and have been found innocent, yet, not released, and may never be. Freedom.

Edit: I actually haven't read up on this in a good few months, unsure whether how many, if any, have been released. Anyone?

OT: I don't even know what to say when I read stories like this. The PC police do like to come out in force when you judge other cultures for this type of behaviour, however, as others have stated, the majority of our countries carry out just as grotesque actions around the world.

Humanity ftw.
    Last edited by mmoc7bcf262245; 2014-01-23 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Added question

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    It is enormously hypocritical when you sanctimoniously denounce the opinions of others based solely on nationality. This was a horrible crime, and my status as an American does not lessen the value of my opinion on the subject. Perhaps you should consider why you feel the need to attack a nation that has no relevance to the topic at hand. Do you read topics and think "Americans having an opinion!? I'd better go knock them down a peg"?
    You're taking this more personally than it was intended. I wasn't dismissing your opinion on it because you're an American. All that was meant was that atrocities abound in certain parts of the first-world as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

You're taking this more personally than it was intended. I wasn't dismissing your opinion on it because you're an American. All that was meant was that atrocities abound in certain parts of the first-world as well.
    You're calling me a sanctimonious hypocrite for denouncing horrible actions. That my having an opinion on the subject somehow offends your sensibilities, for no perceivable reason other than my nationality. How am I not supposed to take that personally?

But fine, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. It wasn't an attack, you were just saying that everyone is guilty of something, right?

yeah and people continue to believe that India will be some sort of economic, and democratic tiger.

Keep dreaming. how would you enforce laws made up by a miniscule number of elite. the soldiers and police you send to enforce the law themselves have the same beliefs. Nothing will change.

Maybe pakistan and India should have an all out war. that'll save the world 1.6 or so billion people. Such a waste of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    yeah and people continue to believe that India will be some sort of economic, and democratic tiger.

Keep dreaming. how would you enforce laws made up by a miniscule number of elite. the soldiers and police you send to enforce the law themselves have the same beliefs. Nothing will change.

Maybe pakistan and India should have an all out war. that'll save the world 1.6 or so billion people. Such a waste of humanity.
    So... You didn't read where the police arrested the perps, then? Huh. Go figure.

India...it's not Ghadis world anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post

They keyword there I think is will, they're a long way off but eventually they'll get there, might take them a hundred years or so but it'll happen..probably.
    Or they'll have wars and break into a few smaller countries and those smaller countries will get there.

I'm just not even surprised anymore.

How can we even talk about the ridiculous amount of rape in India and not be accused of nation-bashing anymore?

10+ Year Old Account
    The hell.......

Okay, do I have a big problem with what happened? Of course I do. I am a human being, a social oriented one at that. And I react accordingly.

But.. Where I have a problem with as well is, how this incident gets ripped out of context, and instead of 13 disgraces of the human race, India itself is put on the chopping block.
    Apparently self justice doesn't fly well in India too nowadays anymore. And that is a good thing.
    Not everything is hunky dory in India, we know that... But at the same time not everything is hunky dory in our societies as well...
    Shame people for wrong doings any given time. That's fine. But don't shame on people to make ourselves holier than holy, because we aren't.

Another thing I like to be considered..... The population of India amounts to pretty much the same as the ones of Europe and the USA combined.. Now look at all the bullshit that happens in all our countries combined on a daily basis, and then compare..
    Maybe the differences aren't that dramatic anymore, when put in perspective.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2014-01-23 at 04:36 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

As horrible as the article in the OP is, this person has a point.

It is enormously hypocritical when you sanctimoniously decry a group of leaders passing the judgement to have a girl raped when you yourself have elected officials in your country passing the judgement to have people murdered all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Humankind doesn't really operate on a per-need basis to the extent that we'd systematically start culling en masse. I'm sure there's many who, for whatever reason, would think the world would be better off without you or me, but luckily for us their opinions on it don't hold any weight.

It is only hypocritical if you support that behavior, I abhor all of it.

The entire country. The whole thing. Not just the council, not just the village. Every person in India should pay for the evil carried out here. Because if one of you is corrupt ALL OF YOU ARE CORRUPT!
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    The entire country. The whole thing. Not just the council, not just the village. Every person in India should pay for the evil carried out here. Because if one of you is corrupt ALL OF YOU ARE CORRUPT!
    I say chap, using logic is so savage and uncivilized. Off you go cretin!

/sarcasmoff
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    lol this really ends any "third world" discussions, scumbags are all over the world in every country, nothing to do with india just your average bunch of human scumbags.
    that's simplifying it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Where I have a problem with as well is, how this incident gets ripped out of context, and instead of 13 disgraces of the human race, India itself is put on the chopping block.
    Putting all of India on the chopping block for the actions of a few is wrong, yes. But this isn't an isolated incident where 13 men just up and decided to rape this girl. I agree the distinction needs to be made, as holding innocent people in such a negative light is wrong. But there's a culture prevalent in India that endorses this behavior, and it runs far deeper than the actions of a few. It's important for us to decry that culture, without resorting to bigotry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    Putting all of India on the chopping block for the actions of a few is wrong, yes. But this isn't an isolated incident where 13 men just up and decided to rape this girl. I agree the distinction needs to be made, as holding innocent people in such a negative light is wrong. But there's a culture prevalent in India that endorses this behavior, and it runs far deeper than the actions of a few. It's important for us to decry that culture, without resorting to bigotry.
    I understand, know and acknowledge that... But if anyone does pay attention then that person should know that this is a situation so totally out of line that it isn't even comprehensible anymore, and how the authorities in India started finally to fight it.
    We can condemn what happened, but we also have to give credit to the obvious progress, even if the progress is damn slow.
    Like I mentioned, we are talking about an immense size of population here. Dramatic changes cannot happen over night.
    It's going to take years until things turn to "normal", if one can call rape ever normal at all. But we know very well how we cannot eliminate rape. We have it rampant in our societies as well. Just in much more "normal" parameters..

Gosh I have a problem calling something normal, that isn't normal by any means.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Gosh I have a problem calling something normal, that isn't normal by any means.
    No, yeah, I totally agree. Rape is a horrible crime anywhere it takes place. And I do give credit to them for working towards improvement, but that progress has so far managed to move the rock, so to speak, and show just how many insects were hiding beneath it. Since these efforts began, sexual crime rates have skyrocketed. Not because there's more rape going on, just because so few were reporting it before. That says something deeply troubling about the culture being fought, and I sincerely hope they can get it under control without it taking generations to pass.