Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Spec for Thok 25 HC?

So my guild will be downing spoils tonight and is hoping to put some solid attempts in on thok 25. I am currently crit build for destro because the haste cap for incinerates cast is very low. My question is to anyone who has killed thok on 25 hc,
    what spec did you play?
    Is crit build destro ok or should I change to haste build
    How is demonology on this fight?

I am currently 574 ilvl.

Deleted
    when you are saying crit build, do you mean mastery > crit > haste? i hope so.

play the specc you`re most familiar with. I tried affli a few times and always ended up better with destro - just because of the fact that destro is viable on every single fight and my hate against affli, I just got much more practice with destro the last few months.
    how to play destro on thok?
    normal rota until the interrupts are getting tricky / pala aura faded. then continue with felflame/conflagrate (during shout) -> cast -> felflame/conflagrate -> cast
    play with havoc glyph and use the first one on the first guard + the second one on the bats for shadowburn

edit:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...ction_Warlock/

here are the west ranks for Thok 25HC. you see that destro and affli are pulling about the same dps.
    Last edited by mmocac301e9072; 2014-01-13 at 02:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyna View Post
    when you are saying crit build, do you mean mastery > crit > haste? i hope so.

play the specc you`re most familiar with. I tried affli a few times and always ended up better with destro - just because of the fact that destro is viable on every single fight and my hate against affli, I just got much more practice with destro the last few months.
    how to play destro on thok?
    normal rota until the interrupts are getting tricky / pala aura faded. then continue with felflame/conflagrate (during shout) -> cast -> felflame/conflagrate -> cast
    play with havoc glyph and use the first one on the first guard + the second one on the bats for shadowburn

edit:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...ction_Warlock/

here are the west ranks for Thok 25HC. you see that destro and affli are pulling about the same dps.
    Haha yes I wasnt clear, its mastery>crit>haste

I play the same build as you as destruction with gosac on thok these days. Does fine, wouldn't play demo for anything these days unless you really like demo since its subpar.

Take unending resolve glyph since the boss gets pushed super fast these days, make sure to use UR during bats to pump out the aoe. Good idea to save a DS for that as well. Rest of fight is pretty straightforward, make sure to stay within 40~ish yards of the boss at all times during fixate so you don't get fixated.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2014-01-13 at 06:09 PM.

If you are settle to take care of bats, go destro with M > H > C build

If you're looking for boss dmg, go Affliction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JV Chequer View Post
    If you are settle to take care of bats, go destro with M > H > C build

If you're looking for boss dmg, go Affliction.
    what this guy said, im also currently doing progression on thok hc altho in a 10m raid, and our aoedps is rather meh with our setup and the way we do it, im pretty much the only guy with good dps so im on bats when they come.

Not sure why you would go with Haste over Crit on a fight where your cast times are regulated to ~1.8s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post
    Not sure why you would go with Haste over Crit on a fight where your cast times are regulated to ~1.8s
    you should never go full crit after mastery. depends on personal preference but I like to have around 8-9k haste before I´m going onto crit. Maybe on paper is crit > haste for singletarget, but on a bossfight where you actually have to move and still snapshot your chaosbolts with proccs you gonna do better with a bit more haste. In case of thok the extra haste can actually make it possible to squeeze in a chaosbolt between the shouts
    Last edited by mmocac301e9072; 2014-01-14 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post
    U.Resolve. 8sec to burn the bats until 20% of life than shadowburn spam.

And with heavy haste u can fit chaos bolt with backdraft into some shouts with berserking or meta-gem proc.

Btw, I like the M > C > H build, but for movement and aoe, haste it's a bit ahead, so, if u don't like beeing constantly at sub-gcd in incinerate, at least reach around 24%(10124) haste unbuffed, the loss is minimal and u gain another immolate tick :-)
    Last edited by JV Chequer; 2014-01-14 at 03:37 PM.

Haste / crit are entirely preference for destruction and you'll see no tangible difference between the two in basically any situations.

People will debate one or the other to death and each argument has merits here and there, just do whichever one floats your boat better because again you won't see any real difference doing either. It's just a minor play style change.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Haste / crit are entirely preference for destruction and you'll see no tangible difference between the two in basically any situations.

People will debate one or the other to death and each argument has merits here and there, just do whichever one floats your boat better because again you won't see any real difference doing either. It's just a minor play style change.
    I am not questioning or debating Haste Vs Crit on anything outside of this encounter.

In order to gain an extra cast in the ~8 seconds worth of UR casting you would have to stack a TON of haste and it is not possible for two cast time global's between max acceleration, so I see no reason to lower my cast times any further at the cost of a secondary stat that is not suffering DR by the interrupt mechanic. Not being able to chain cast IMO greatly reduces the value of haste for Destruction on Thok.

Is bat phase that different in 25? On 10 they are in execute range before my UR even wears off....

I understand and agree with what your original point was from your first post I just decided I didn't feel like having a 2 page debate with these other 2 guys about it since the difference we'd be arguing would be completely inconsequential.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2014-01-14 at 11:05 PM.

For thok if you play destro, the general consensus is crit build is better than haste build (obviously mastery is always first priority) because of capped 1.8s cast time.

I personally run the haste build to 10124 because I play Affliction on half of the fights, and prefer both Aff and Demo over Destro. If I was only progressing with Destro it would probably be ideal to switch the crit > haste though based on the consensus of other warlocks who have cleared this fight.

For Thok I found myself performing better as Aff just because I'm very comfortable with it and am good at snapshotting. If you do play Destro you should basically be running UR glyph (for both specs) and the havoc glyph. You can havoc thok and target the jailor for 6 havocs during the times Thok is too far down the hall, and Havok Thok for 6 shadowburns on bats. Because of the length of time between things you can havoc this is generally the one fight people use the havoc glyph.

During progression I started with Destro then tried Aff and it felt better overall. With AV you can save your second DS for bats and with any luck you'll have a trinket or meta gem proc to go with it to get some pretty decent dots SS onto the bats as they fly in. With hunter misdirect and soulshatter if needed I haven't had any issues pulling agro.

So i currently run the M > C > H build but with the spell haste buff in raid my incin is dead on 1.8s cast. What sort of haste do you guys run? I'm thinking about reforging some c into h to get to around 1.5s incin casts but i'm not sure if thats over kill or not enough of a widow.

150-180 ms ping

6869 puts me at 1.6 unbuffed, 1.16 (if memory serves) with backdraft and .99 with backdraft + BL or meta.

For thok specifically this means I can fit an unbuffed incinerate between max speed shouts need be because of 1.7s window and in general its nice to never have wasted stat with incinerate going grossly under cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    6869 puts me at 1.6 unbuffed, 1.16 (if memory serves) with backdraft and .99 with backdraft + BL or meta.

For thok specifically this means I can fit an unbuffed incinerate between max speed shouts need be because of 1.7s window and in general its nice to never have wasted stat with incinerate going grossly under cap.
    Cheers dude, exactly the sort of answer i was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Snookik View Post
    On thok i'm playing destro with 13k haste and my hc toxic totem replaced by normal garrosh trinket for the haste (didn't do math on that btw). With one devotion aura and my own UR on 10man I keep up with top dps. When I know i'm not going to make the cast I usually just press escape and start something else or I just felflame/RoF. I can also easily fit backdrafted chaosbolts and non-backdrafted incinerates between interrupts. Best bet is going haste destro or afflic (which requires haste too).
    id really re-think dropping a heroic totem for the shitty normal grarrosh trinket, destro owns with heroic totem. im sitting at just above 7k haste, and 9000 crit rating and i can cast cbs or incinerates just fine between screeches. at first i was thinking aff was the spec for thok, but if u have a pally+ UR u can get 14 seconds of free casting every 2 mins, which works out just fine for destro dps, and havocing shadowburning thok on the bats and jailer works great too.

Deleted
    Trying to use BBoY on Thok as Destro is rough.

I forgot to swap trinkets round one week and it wasn't pleasant seeing BBoY proc with 3+ embers in p1 with no AM/UR in sight.

Deleted
    I've sene lots of people going Demonology on Thok because of the movement primarily, I think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rift- View Post
    I've sene lots of people going Demonology on Thok because of the movement primarily, I think.
    There isn't that much movement to be honest.

Main benefit for Demonology is that fel flame is almost the same as shadowbolt but with a higher stress on mana, and the fact that you can freely ToC during roar phase. It's also got good damage on bats.