Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Nodes Should be Tagged for A Period of Time if you Enter Combat

It's so stupid that I can land to get a node, and have to kill a mob and watch as someone else comes and gets it. I literally had a warrior follow me around waiting for me to get in combat and he would walk up and take the node. It doesn't need to be anything crazy long, that way it can't be abused, but 5-10 seconds would be enough to avoid this issue without it getting abused.

#notgonnahappen

I love CCing people and stealing their node. Pointless following friendlies, but I have sniped many a herb/node from teh horde.

I vote no changes, its not broke - nothing to "fix".
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    I love CCing people and stealing their node.
    I hear that works super well when you have a motherfucker of the same faction following you around, stealing your nodes.

People have been complaining about this for years and Blizz doesn't see a problem so I doubt it's going to change anytime soon. I agree with you, OP, but then I don't get my kicks trying to make things miserable for others like the poster right after you.

Quote Originally Posted by KonkeroaR View Post
    I hear that works super well when you have a motherfucker of the same faction following you around, stealing your nodes.
    it does if you are on the timeless isle, use the censor. If you are in the open world, and someone is following you, then change zones. There are a shit ton of places to farm what ever you are looking for.

If you cant ditch a "friendly" then you have issues :/
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

If two people tag a node you should have a Xiaolin Showdown.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Deleted
    ahh this old cherry.
    The node is not yours till its in your bag.

I have taken nodes that people are fighting mobs for, both Horde and Alliance. I have had the level 1 whispers of hate, the flaming in general chat, and I dont give a crap. you know why ? ill tell you.

1 - its a game. its not like your life is on the line for one node.
    2 - how the hell should I know if your fighting for the node or not
    3 - I do unto others as they would do unto me, But I do it first, I do it faster, and I get the hell away.

anyway, EVERY class has some sort of CC that can be used, from stuns to snares, to fears and pets. Know your class and you will never loose a node to someone because your "fighting for it"

You could also you know...not bother to farm and make more gold using 2 crafting professions and selling the products.

Alch + say BS can make up to 10 times more in PROFIT than those with herbing and mining flying around, not just making MoP stuff too. Old content can make you more gold.

If youar having a rough time because someone is stealing your nodes, go to somewhere else like Wintergrasp, farm up titanium and make titansteel bars. They make you more profit per hour farming than most MoP stuff and you literally have ZERO competition, even on high pop realms. People need titansteel for their bikes and engineering Jeeves.

these is no problem to solve in game, the problem is between the keyboard and the chair and it being too inflexible to adapt and react.

In this thread: lots of people who support systems that encourage you to see other players as competition instead of allies, and to be annoyed at the presence of people in the game world instead of happy. (I wonder how many of them then proceed to be shocked at those of us who don't think CRZ is amazing... because if I and another person are racing for a node, someone is losing, and whether or not it's me that's a problem because it means we should see each other as competition and wish for the other person's absence.)

They could be intelligent and use a system like GW2, where every node is personal (similar to archaeology), but that would probably piss off too many people who enjoy having fun at the expense of others...

They could implement a system where you click a node and that tags it for 2 minutes or until you leave the area.

On the other hand maybe it's just time that Blizzard got over the idea of node competition. They have two competing goals - encouraging multiplayer and competition for resources. They are contrary to each other since negative player interactions really ruin the multiplayer aspect. They're always saying they want seeing other people in the world to be a good thing, but it actually rarely is. They probably need to suck it up and sacrifice some of their other design priorities if that is really their goal.

I could go either way on this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyarea View Post
    You could also you know...not bother to farm and make more gold using 2 crafting professions and selling the products.

Alch + say BS can make up to 10 times more in PROFIT than those with herbing and mining flying around, not just making MoP stuff too. Old content can make you more gold.

If youar having a rough time because someone is stealing your nodes, go to somewhere else like Wintergrasp, farm up titanium and make titansteel bars. They make you more profit per hour farming than most MoP stuff and you literally have ZERO competition, even on high pop realms. People need titansteel for their bikes and engineering Jeeves.

these is no problem to solve in game, the problem is between the keyboard and the chair and it being too inflexible to adapt and react.
    Yeah except that wouldn't work, We need people to gather the materials for those with dual crafting professions, Just because profit can be made, doesn't mean everyone should do it

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Yeah except that wouldn't work, We need people to gather the materials for those with dual crafting professions, Just because profit can be made, doesn't mean everyone should do it
    Actually there would be still a glut of herbs, ore and skins. Why? Chinese gold farmers. They are still all over the place. Infact early in the xpac I had 3 chinese gold farmers I was doing deals with every few days. How did I know they where chinese? I talked to them in their native tongue. They where selling over 300 stacks of either ore or herbs every 3-4 days each.

Also as some have stated, personal nodes would just promote more casual botting rather than the semi professional botting we have currently.

Regarding CRZ, I never liked it and never will like it. It destroyed server communities (that and the 'mergers' they are doing now). However as a gatherer you can still game the system by having 2 accounts, 1 account have a level 90 DK (takes what? 3-5 days tops, gear doesn't matter at all) to act as an anchor on a real low pop server, have the DK invite your farmer toon. Bang your now on a low pop realm with not much competition. Granted it needs a second account but I'm sure you all have friends on other servers and can get creative.

it's how I did my farming of warbringers when they where released (Area 52...yeah good luck getting a warbringer up) and it worked for a friend that was herbing for guild consumables.

As I said think outside the box, if you don't it is you that is the problem not the game To be successful in anything means you have to be able to adapt and not be a whiny bitch when you don't get your own way or the node your fighting for gets swiped (No it's not your node, it never was your node. You only claim it when the product is in your bags and not a second sooner. Once you understand that then your on the road to success).

Also I suggest you develop methods to make obtaining nodes faster than the next guy in prep for WoD. That is where the money is to be made when it drops in 6 months or so (random time pulled out my rear end). In cata I made 150k in the first 4 days selling herbs and ore, in MoP I made 200k in the first week or two. Develop methods and decide if having your main at 100 for an extra week mindlessly grinding out currency (raids wouldn't be open for 2-4 weeks I would assume like in MoP) or having your farmer at 100 making you enough gold to last the entire xpac in a few weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyarea View Post
    As I said think outside the box, if you don't it is you that is the problem not the game To be successful in anything means you have to be able to adapt and not be a whiny bitch when you don't get your own way or the node your fighting for gets swiped (No it's not your node, it never was your node. You only claim it when the product is in your bags and not a second sooner. Once you understand that then your on the road to success
    Translation: other players are competition to be avoided or crushed, don't ever make the mistake of thinking of them as human beings because that might hinder your ability to do whatever it takes to get what you want, no matter what you have to do to other people in the process.

Edit: Yes, I phrased that rather strongly, because I don't believe the problem is that any particular person cannot get to the node, but that no matter who wins everybody else loses, which is not conducive to a game world that promotes a desire to have other people in the world... which, supposedly, is what Blizzard wants. I'm not arguing that I can't work in the current system, I'm arguing that there is no advantage to the current system over a system like the one that GW2 uses (not counting bots, since they're cheaters and should be summarily banned and stripped from the game either way).

Edit2: And if I wanted to advance myself by being a jackass to other people, I'd be playing EVE, not WoW :-P
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2014-02-03 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Translation: other players are competition to be avoided or crushed, don't ever make the mistake of thinking of them as human beings because that might hinder your ability to do whatever it takes to get what you want, no matter what you have to do to other people in the process.

Edit: Yes, I phrased that rather strongly, because I don't believe the problem is that any particular person cannot get to the node, but that no matter who wins everybody else loses, which is not conducive to a game world that promotes a desire to have other people in the world... which, supposedly, is what Blizzard wants. I'm not arguing that I can't work in the current system, I'm arguing that there is no advantage to the current system over a system like the one that GW2 uses (not counting bots, since they're cheaters and should be summarily banned and stripped from the game either way).

Edit2: And if I wanted to advance myself by being a jackass to other people, I'd be playing EVE, not WoW :-P

Every person in th world is competition to you in some way shape or form. Be it for a job, for time off from your job, from getting that TV on special at Walmart or to get that ghost iron node. Competition is what the human race is based on and how we have developed to be top of the food chain.

Now in WoW EVERYTHING is a competition. Who has the most gold, who has the best gear, who has the most efficient farming methods/routes. You know it's true otherwise there owuld never be any gold making blogs, raid strats and addons like gathermate and routes.

I do not like the idea of personal nodes, it works for arch because you cannot sell the items on the AH, only to vendors for usually pittance (yes there are exceptions I know) but if it was for farming then botters would have a field day, reporting them would be harder etc. Also it would ruin a VERY SMALL part of teh game, you know the War part in warcraft...the part with horde and alliance hate eachother.

Granted it sucks when a horde mate or fellow alliance 'steals your node' however that is what it is like in business. Those with scruples loose out to those with none. It's how people make billions in teh real world, why not translate real world economics into the game? After all we already have supply and demand amongst other things.

Regarding your point about 'someone win's, someone looses'. WoW is a game, there are 'winners' and 'loosers' here, though not defined usually as such. You win RNG with loot or you loose at it, you win at farming getting 4 golden lotus spawns ina row and loose when you get none all day. You win if your faster than the next guy getting that trillium node or you loose because you where too slow. It is annoying but the game isn't here to go 'oh your trying...here have a stack of golden lotus to make you feel better...oh and here is a foot rub too, it must be hard flying around in an internet game trying to make virtual currency blah blah blah...' It may work in LFR but that's a crock anyways and something for a totally different topic all together.

Competition should always be crushed. Who honestly wants competition when out farming or making gold (except if you use them to your advantage using market pvp)? Competition for the supplier is a bad thing, it drives your gold per hour down. What was once 3 gold per herb is now 2g 50s because person XXX is also farming and wanting to cash out for the day. Bang you just lost 10 gold per stack. If you think that's good, you have issues. The more you crush your competition out of farming and heading to market, the more you can dictate your selling price that the buyers must pay to keep their supplies at the levels they want.

See...it all comes back to supply and demand. If you are the sole supplier, you control demand and margins for profit. If that means being a dick to others, many will do it. After all you never meet the person you screwed out of trillium or whatever, so there is no real consiquences. It sucks yes, but welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay.

You win some, you lose some.
    It's not something to get your panties in a bunch over.

I agree it is a little annoying, but it is just a game. If you have someone following you around just move to a different zone or go do an instance and come back to it like half an hour later. chances are they are in a different part of the zone by now or gave up on trolling you

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    In this thread: lots of people who support systems that encourage you to see other players as competition instead of allies, and to be annoyed at the presence of people in the game world instead of happy. (I wonder how many of them then proceed to be shocked at those of us who don't think CRZ is amazing... because if I and another person are racing for a node, someone is losing, and whether or not it's me that's a problem because it means we should see each other as competition and wish for the other person's absence.)

They could be intelligent and use a system like GW2, where every node is personal (similar to archaeology), but that would probably piss off too many people who enjoy having fun at the expense of others...
    As opposed to almost every other system in the world that encourages competition? Have a job? Compete for promotion. Play sports? Compete for rank/rewards. Like a girl/guy? Compete with others for their affection.

Competition is perfectly normal. If you don't want to compete for nodes, turn around and fly in the opposite direction... or farm another zone. Or, more importantly, don't get upset when someone gets a node that you wanted. This paragraph is how I treat mining whenever I decide to do it: If someone is farming the same path, I do the path in reverse. If it's still a problem, I farm another zone. If someone lands on a node at the same time as I do, then I either get it or I don't. I might bubble and let the mob switch to them, at which point I have another chance at getting the node, but I don't get upset if I miss out.

Also, if you're trying for a node and a mob aggros onto you... CC it.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    As opposed to almost every other system in the world that encourages competition? Have a job? Compete for promotion. Play sports? Compete for rank/rewards. Like a girl/guy? Compete with others for their affection.
    Most competitions are not zero sum games, in other words, they are constructive in nature. A lot of competition in WoW isn't zero sum, the best way is to compete is to raise your own ability, which is fine. Take for instance World First competitions (and also placing after that), and Arena/RBG competitions.

(Yes, I'm not naive enough to believe that "win trading" and other crap doesn't happen. But by in large, you get better by playing better.)

Nodes are zero sum, as in if you tag the node, nobody else gets anything, and it discourages cooperative play in the World. Which is something that should be encouraged, not discouraged. Also "competition" for a node means that instead of improving your own ability, you generally resort to tricks (such as baiting mobs onto others) instead of any other means to get such a node.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Nodes are zero sum, as in if you tag the node, nobody else gets anything, and it discourages cooperative play in the World. Which is something that should be encouraged, not discouraged. Also "competition" for a node means that instead of improving your own ability, you generally resort to tricks (such as baiting mobs onto others) instead of any other means to get such a node.
    Basically this.

The open world is getting better, but in an MMO, when you see someone else and about you should think "Oh cool, another person" and not, "Ah crap, competition. Piss off! I was here first!" which is all too common in WOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    ahh this old cherry.
    The node is not yours till its in your bag.

I have taken nodes that people are fighting mobs for, both Horde and Alliance. I have had the level 1 whispers of hate, the flaming in general chat, and I dont give a crap. you know why ? ill tell you.

1 - its a game. its not like your life is on the line for one node.
    2 - how the hell should I know if your fighting for the node or not
    3 - I do unto others as they would do unto me, But I do it first, I do it faster, and I get the hell away.

anyway, EVERY class has some sort of CC that can be used, from stuns to snares, to fears and pets. Know your class and you will never loose a node to someone because your "fighting for it"
    This, totally this. There isn't a way to know if someone is a miner and they are fighting off the mob to get the node. If I am mining or gathering herbs and I get attacked I stun the mob then proceed. If someone nabs it yes it's annoying but I certainly wouldn't take it personally. What you experienced is obviously different, they were following you and that is pretty crappy. They should have just gone on their own and tried to take the nodes before you, not wait til you were in combat.