Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Groups and the people they attract

Why do people with the same opinion join a group when the focus of the group is not that opinion? MMOC and the large amount of atheists despite the site being for the discussion of World of Warcraft. What brings them together and causes a minority group to be the majority within the group they joined?

Note: I am not talking about religion specifically. Or MMOC. What causes certain opinions to became the majority within certain groups when the group itself is not about those opinions?
    Last edited by Shemsu Hov; 2014-01-26 at 02:00 AM. Reason: OP simplified.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    you have to relax man.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the record, your last thread was not closed for being religious. I was just answering your question :P

Your last thread was closed since it was 15 posts in and all anyone was tlaking about was the moderation policies on MMOC. So, guys, please don't do that this time.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

relax, don't do it
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so confused, are we trying to figure out what similarities bronies have w/ ass spreaders? @_@ wha...
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    Ass spreaders?

That's a creative term if i've ever heard one coined.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am never going to become a leader when I can't even convey my fucking question right.....

I honestly don't understand how to say what I am thinking any more clear.

May as well try one more fucking time before this thread gets locked.

I'd just say the whole idea is a bit of a non-starter. There's quite a lot of diversity here...why do you think there's so many bans?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemsu Hov View Post
    I am never going to become a leader when I can't even convey my fucking question right.....

So, certain interests attract likeminded individuals that share the same/similar opinions on other stuff?

I'd say yes. Definitely. Especially that AssSpreaders site.

10+ Year Old Account

No, you just put too much hostility and emotion into your second thread that you forgot to put information in. It's literally impossible to understand what you're coming from unless you explain more. Literally all my brain can think is that you think gays and bronies unite not because they like bronies or being gay, but because there's some underlining reason that unites them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    People tend to seek out like minded people for a reason. Why would I want to hang out with a bunch of people I have nothing in common with when there are groups of people who have the same interests I have and it gives us something to talk about?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you have a large group of people. The group has clear intentions for it's existence. MMO Champion for example is for discussing WoW. But there are a lot of atheists on MMOC when the majority of the world is religious. What is it that makes the trait of being non-religious so common on this forum when the group of non-religious people are not the majority?

Chelly
    So you have a large group of people. The group has clear intentions for it's existence. MMO Champion for example is for discussing WoW. But there are a lot of atheists on MMOC when the majority of the world is religious. What is it that makes the trait of being non-religious so common on this forum when the group of non-religious people are not the majority?
    International website. That's really the biggest trait.
    There's also more of them on the internet overall I guess.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    No, you just put too much hostility and emotion into your second thread that you forgot to put information in. It's literally impossible to understand what you're coming from unless you explain more. Literally all my brain can think is that you think gays and bronies unite not because they like bronies or being gay, but because there's some underlining reason that unites them.
    Sort of both. From MY observations people in groups often have more in common than just what the group intends. No I don't mean pointless little details like OMG I AM HUMAN TOO! I ALSO NEED FOOD TO SURVIVE! but commonalities like political ideas, world view, religious view, ect.

I was going to try and reply to your question but had trouble reading whatever you just wrote in the thread OP post.
    Most connections however are intertwined with eachother.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have an interest in human behaviour if you're wondering why I ask such a minor question or notice such a minor detail. Back to the MMOC example, MMOC is often lightly criticised for being quite irreligious. Meaning there's a high number of non-religious people here. Enough for people to notice. Now what is it that made so many non-religious people flock to MMOC? WoW probably. So why is WoWs population so irreligious? I want to know what causes these like-minded people to group together without the primary purpose of the group being that common trait amongst them.

I have an interest in human behaviour if you're wondering why I ask such a minor question or notice such a minor detail. Back to the MMOC example, MMOC is often lightly criticised for being quite irreligious. Meaning there's a high number of non-religious people here. Enough for people to notice. Now what is it that made so many non-religious people flock to MMOC? WoW probably. So why is WoWs population so irreligious? I want to know what causes these like-minded people to group together without the primary purpose of the group being that common trait amongst them.
    I'd assume it's because (just guessing) video gaming is frowned upon in religious circles, especially something like WoW - fantasy, monsters, undead, etc

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    There. The OP should be simpler to understand now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, like I said in your prior thread, it's not that MMOC is irreligious at all. Because we don't allow religious discussion -- which again has to do with people's inability to play nice and not dislike of religion -- you won't find it here, and people who prefer to discuss religion a lot may find another venue for that dialogue. So ultimately It has nothing to do with non-religious people flocking to the site, nor is it a reflection on WoW's population's religiosity, and there isn't a correlation at all with MMOC/WoW and religion at all.

A lot of times there are other variables at play, and this is one of them.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Omfg, you wanted to know why this is the case? It's so obvious just from looking at the community. Look at it from this perspective.. would you consider a WoW player to fall more on the athlete side or on the geeky side? Chances are they're geeky, including myself, which also implies they prefer science to religion. I don't know many geeky religious people, usually the only geeky individuals that are religious are usually mormon. Also this is a computer game, not a console game, so that excludes most of the religious households that have a console but no gaming computer. Again, when it comes to gaming computers, most would probably build it and building a computer requires some attraction towards mechanical sciences. Yet again the individual shows sign of interest in science and most of the time when they are intrigued by science, the're not likely to be religious.