Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    "It's already bad so let's make it worse," isn't a very compelling argument.
    But it isn't making it worse, if anything making choosing race almost purely thematic would make everything better.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW is an RPG, the story is part of the fun.
    To be perfectly honest, WoW is not an RPG, it's a numbers sim.

But even then, what you say is "Story is part of the fun, as long as it follows these stupidly narrow and small guidelines"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    But it isn't making it worse, if anything making choosing race almost purely thematic would make everything better.
    What classes a race can be is part of the that thematic.

Things like draenei warlock or undead druid or orc paladin don't fit at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    But I want to play a Troll Paladin

Fear my Holy Mojo!
    Currently Procrastinating

Deleted
    What classes a race can be is part of the that thematic.

Things like draenei warlock or undead druid or orc paladin don't fit at all.
    They can be made to fit by expanding the lore.

They can be made to fit by expanding the lore.
    By butchering lore.

Draenei are draenei because of their refusal to use fel magic.
    Undead are unnatural abominations.
    Orcs have nothing to do with the Light and might even be incapable of wielding it at all.

There are new combinations that could be reasonably added by expanding lore, but not every combination is reasonable.

Every race be every class? Thats a terrible idea.

A cuisine of mine thinks that an alliance class and horde class should not have the same kind of spells.
    Let's look at warlock for an exampel:
    An alliance warlock shoould not be casting shadowbolt since they despise shadow and therefor should use incirate insted.
    An horde warlock however dos embrace shadow more and therfore could use shadowbolt but not incinirate.

But thats he's idea.

Deleted
    Saying that a certain race can't be a certain class because it doesn't feel right is just silly and a bad argument. This is a role playing game after all and there's already a lot of complaints that WoW doesn't offer enough roleplay. If someone wants to be a Night Elf Shaman, or an Undead Paladin, let them, it's their choice. There have always been individuals that were an exception and choose follow a different path that their race believed in. If a society disapproves of practising different ways, it's the society that should be to blame because it's actually hindering the progress of their race.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Narna View Post
    But I want to play a Troll Paladin

Fear my Holy Mojo!
    Zandalari freethinkers and prefects exist, easily enough lore for them.

- - - Updated - - -

By butchering lore.

Draenei are draenei because of their refusal to use fel magic.
    Undead are unnatural abominations.
    Orcs have nothing to do with the Light and might even be incapable of wielding it at all.

There are new combinations that could be reasonably added by expanding lore, but not every combination is reasonable.
    Oh please, the Lore has Been butchered since warcraft 1, when it was just a casual Americanised Warhammer Fantasy game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing View Post
    An alliance warlock shoould not be casting shadowbolt since they despise shadow and therefor should use incirate insted.
    An horde warlock however dos embrace shadow more and therfore could use shadowbolt but not incinirate.
    You found the reason why Human warlock trainers are so well hidden in SW . Humans despite shadow energy... still some of them have embraced it.

So a spacegoat crashing a spaceship into the planet and then zipping around the world on the back of a skeletal dragon to save it from destruction from murderous rabbits, beer elementals, and summoned demons gone rogue is 'reasonable', but heaven forbid that draenei be able to use certain types of magic ?

Heroes are the exception to the rule. That means that some rules can be broken for them, but as a whole it still remains true.

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    Saying that a certain race can't be a certain class because it doesn't feel right is just silly and a bad argument. This is a role playing game after all and there's already a lot of complaints that WoW doesn't offer enough roleplay. If someone wants to be a Night Elf Shaman, or an Undead Paladin, let them, it's their choice. There have always been individuals that were an exception and choose follow a different path that their race believed in. If a society disapproves of practising different ways, it's the society that should be to blame because it's actually hindering the progress of their race.
    I don't think an undead is physically capable of becoming a druid. I don't think orcs are able to wield the Light because of their whole demon blood/red mist shenanigans. Draenei warlocks would be hunted and killed by their own people assuming they didn't turn evil and mutate from abusing fel magic.

Because Homogenization is a buzzword used by people who want nothing and just hate change.

in all honesty, Expanding all the lore of every class, do some visual upgrades and updates and BAM, you get LESS Homogenization

- - - Updated - - -

They have been around for ages, they're called Seers.
    The seers are shamans... Farseer Nabundo for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Well, I, uh... completely disagree with all of your subjective evaluations. Forums have echoed with 'arguments' like this since... forever?
    "Orc Shamans?! Amazon Elf Warriors?! Get this crap out of my Warcraft!"
    "Tauren Druids?!?"
    "WAIT YOU RETCONNED THE DRAENEI AND SARGERAS YOU RUINED THE LORE"
    "ALLIANCE SHAMANS?!!?"
    "BLOOD ELF PALADINS?! LORE IS DIED"
    "YOU MADE KAEL'THAS EVIL!"
    "YOU RUINED ILLIDAN!"
    "WHY CAN GNOMES WITH PINK PIGTAILS BE DEATH KNIGHTS THIS RUINS EVERYTHING"
    "WHAT DID YOU DO TO JAINA"

Pretty much the entire constructed world you play in is a cascade of lore tweaks to fit gameplay goals, along with a healthy dash of whatever Metzen felt like almost-plagiarizing this morning. It's not sacred and it's more fun to just flow with it and let it evolve. Like how Blizz likes to kill off 75% of the cast over the course of an RTS campaign.

So, bring on the R/C unlocks!
    Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    Well tbh, an undead shaman would be sick.
    Agree. bone totems?

It's a stupid idea to not have every class available to every race and always has been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    I don't think an undead is physically capable of becoming a druid. I don't think orcs are able to wield the Light because of their whole demon blood/red mist shenanigans. Draenei warlocks would be hunted and killed by their own people assuming they didn't turn evil and mutate from abusing fel magic.
    Time for me to use Modest writing skills!

A branch of the Royal Apothecary society trades secrets with the Cenarion enclave in the eastern plaguelands and finds that nature magic can heal and even transform forsaken flesh well, with none of the painful side effects of light magic healing. Using darker parts of nature like fungusies and flies, the Forsaken Druids are accepted wearily into the Cenarion circle, but only if they break ties with the Royal Apothecary society.

A rogue group of rogue Eredar seek refuge with the Naaru on Shattrath. These "Redeemed Eredar" provide constant information of Legion weaponry, Fel magic workings and other such details. a secret group of radical Draenei use this infomation to create the Conclave of Midnight, a Group of Draenei using Void magics to fight Fel magics, though outright dispised by the Draenei proper, A'dal refused their explulsion and bayed them to follow their own path, though warned the Draenei of what they choose.

Etrigg leads a reformation, And he and a group of Orc warriors learn the way of the Light from the Argent Crusade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    Title says it all. The Gameplay element doesn't matter- every race should not be able to be every class. Yes the Lore is already messed up with timelines and what not, but allowing every race to be every class is just too far.

An Orc paladin would not make any sense what-so-ever. It would not feel right, nor should it. While I will admit some of the race/class combos were pushing the limits (Worgen Druids with the Harvest Witches...) Just saying "fuck it" and abandoning all lore for gameplay just isn't right for the game,

/endrant
    "The orcs, a powerful and primal race, now find themselves surrounded by Tauren and Trolls in the absence of true Orc leadership. For the past 22 months, since the seige in Orgrimmar, these two native races with Druids and Sunwalkers have brought peace to those who seek it. Following the path of the Druid, and of the Sunwalkers, some orcs now find themselves wielding a new set of powers. Powers, when perfected, which will help bring the Horde to glory and the Alliance, to its knees."

There you go. Lore explaining Orc paladins and druids. Lore is not Lore until Metzen writes it. Someone just needs to give him a pen and paper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    The seers are shamans... Farseer Nabundo for example.
    Sorry, I meant the Sages.

They have always been shown in cloth tribal robes and with staves or maces, very Shamanistic, but also very priestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    "For all the Draenei holier than thou characteristics, enough of them still saw fit to betray their own race and become twilight cultists. So who is to say they can't become warlocks out of necessary evil."

I mentioned this before. Soon you will have more exceptions to the rule than the rule itself.

If we're gonna talk about butchering lore how about when they ADDED A WHOLE CONTINENT and race of dumb blue elves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    If we're gonna talk about butchering lore how about when they ADDED A WHOLE CONTINENT and race of dumb blue elves?
    Let's not forget Bull people.
    Blue trolls
    Space goats coast to coast
    Wolf people
    Undead people
    Panda people

Basically, all the changes from Warcraft 2 to warcraft 3 ARE BAD AND RUIN THE LORE!