10+ Year Old Account

My own text-based RPG?

I really want to start making my own text-based RPG game. I know alittle about programming, mostly languages based on C, but dont really have an idea on how to get started. Anyone got any tips/links or advice for a noob game designer?

15+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me when I coded text rpgs with some ranom generators and "sound" in Basic on C64.
    Thanks for bringing up that memory, will have a smile on my face the entire day
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    You enter the thread. A troll is attacking!

Do you:
    1. Call out troll
    2. Flame OP
    3. Link meme
    4. Close thread

There are text-based RPG in the public domain. In the 1990s people would take the public domain ones, modify them, and release them as free to play stuff.

Check out CircleMUD for one example. That's a MUD in the public domain. You could modify it or use it to give you ideas to write your own game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Game maker is good for simple game making but if you are going to stick to just text writing your own backend engine might be better, in short if you do not know how to create a text based console application game like this you need deeper programming skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Found an editor called ADRIFT that lets you create your own text based adventures, not much programming in it though

There are plenty of good books on the subject. Figure out what type of game it should be (single/multi character control, features, item classes, how loot is gained, how character power is scaled, and a hundred other things). Sketch it down in a notebook, just brainstorm. Also figure out what platform you're aiming for (PC, web, smartphones, etc), and pick a language. Read books focusing on that language, but other books will help with conceptual ideas, reading c++ game programming will still help with ideas and "oh that's how you do it" if you've already decided to go with java.

If you're wondering how to do something, like a feature, or wonder how to go about other conceptual ideas, just send me a PM. Having done a text based SP and a MP RPG, as well as a SP resource management and tactical simulating game of sorts in my free time, I'm sure I can at the very least point you in the right direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Found an editor called ADRIFT that lets you create your own text based adventures, not much programming in it though
    You may find this listing useful.

TADS or Inform may be more to your liking.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters