Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Proud Moment for a Bear

I posted this in the tanking questionnaire thread in the General Forum, but I'm still buzzed from the adrenaline from my guild's raid last night. It was probably my best individual tanking performance ever. (Note: yeah, it was Flex. I know that makes me lower than pond scum compared to a real raider, but it's what I do because it's what my guild does and I like 'em, even the bad DPSers.)

We were fighting dark shamans using the three tank strategy. After we killed the wolves, I grabbed Earthbinder to take up the hill, but the Wavebinder tank (another bear) didn't grab her; he was just standing there (possible AFK after ready check, probably disconnect as his internet connection is awful). My Earthbinder partner (death knight) grabbed Wavebinder and off I went to handle things on my own. 1 stack... 2... 3... no problem. 4 stacks... 5... 6... that Froststorm Strike is starting to tickle. 7... 8... really starting to hope the other bear comes back online. 9... 10... yeah, that's hurting. 11... 12... 13... this isn't good. I'm doing the math in my head trying to determine the maximum hit I can take (my health pool is about 900k starting fights). 14... 15... I'm watching the hits come in and knock me down under 10% health, then I hit my self-heals to get to full before the next (along with great healing from a druid, who is solo-healing the melee group on Earthbinder). 16... 17... hit Might of Ursoc! Health pool goes up to 1.3 million, but this isn't good. The third tank gets back and grabs Wavebinder, while the other tank comes hauling back to grab me. 18 stacks. WHAM! 19 stacks. WHAM! 10k health... next hit will kill me, even with every defensive cooldown I have. Other tank grabs Earthbinder and we get into our tank swap. Whew!

We're hacking away on the bosses and, uh oh, my tank swap partner dies with about 10% left. Then, right away, the Wavebinder tank goes down and she's wrecking our remaining DPS. I hit stampeding roar and drag Earthbinder back and pick up Wavebinder, tanking them both for the final bit of the fight. Bosses die. My hand was twitching from the rush of pulling it off.

a bit offtopic, but why the hell would you 3 tank on flex??? you shouldnt even 3 tank on normal

10+ Year Old Account
    3 tank flex?

Alot of people 3 tank that boss in flex.
    Last edited by scroobydroo; 2014-01-27 at 05:26 PM.

Eh, it's what we do.

Our group is combined of two guilds and has a very wide gap between the high-end and low-end members, but we choose to be inclusive and bring everyone who wants to. Good company is more important to us than cutting-edge progression.

Deleted
    I thought the 3 tank tactics was only really for heroic? for normal and especially flex you can just keep them together and zerg cleave them down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOverload View Post
    I thought the 3 tank tactics was only really for heroic? for normal and especially flex you can just keep them together and zerg cleave them down.
    Not everyone. Though that shouldn't be what this thread is about.

Those moments are why it's awesome to play a tank.

Gotta love those moments when you're a real hero to your raid mates. 's what bein' a tank's all about. B-)
    "It is a demonstration of incomprehensible hubris to quote one's self, especially in one's own forum signature."
    ¬PetersenIII

Quote Originally Posted by Fufu View Post
    Eh, it's what we do.

Our group is combined of two guilds and has a very wide gap between the high-end and low-end members, but we choose to be inclusive and bring everyone who wants to. Good company is more important to us than cutting-edge progression.
    i understand you wanna be inclusive and all but the fact is you are making it harder on yourselves to kill this boss with 3 tanks. especially when your 3rd tank has connection issues

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMine View Post
    i understand you wanna be inclusive and all but the fact is you are making it harder on yourselves to kill this boss with 3 tanks. especially when your 3rd tank has connection issues
    No they aren't. Enrage isn't an issue and they reduce the number of mechanics each group has to deal with. I've yet to see well reasoned logic as to why 3 tanks is bad on any difficulty (bar lfr).

On topic. Props on a job well done!

Deleted
    Drop it dude, you're totally being a bummer and missing the point with the thread.

OT: Its really one of those stories where it feels awesome to be a tank ^^ To go in there and save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    No they aren't. Enrage isn't an issue and they reduce the number of mechanics each group has to deal with. I've yet to see well reasoned logic as to why 3 tanks is bad on any difficulty (bar lfr).

On topic. Props on a job well done!
    I've even seen a few rare LFR groups that have 3-tanked Dark Shaman successfully. If it makes the fight easier for a group, why not use the strategy?

On-topic, that's the kind of thing I like most about being a tank. Reminds me of the time myself and another blood DK duoed the last 10% of Blade-lord Ta'yak. Good times.

a bit offtopic, but why the hell would you 3 tank on flex??? you shouldnt even 3 tank on normal
    because its piss easy and u dont risk random death or bad positioning of wall etc etc

also to the question why - join from time to time groups which dont give 550-560 itlv Ahead of curve req to join flex and ull know why flex is fun and not boring when u do it around 510-520 itlv liek its designed for and u wont be falling asleep whinign why its so piss easy .
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2014-01-27 at 06:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fufu View Post
    Eh, it's what we do.

You should try it on a warrior :-) I can 'almost' (probably could if we used all the externals available in a 25man) solo tank it on heroic 25, Maximum stacks I've hit with only my own CDs was about 27 then my cloak procced and we didn't have a paladin to remove it so I didn't want to risk dying. Active Mitigation is fun.

This is one of those stories, where the raid difficulty has no meaning.

Yesterday night, i was fighting Nazgrim(Heroic) healing it as a resto druid the fight went perfectly except for the last 15%.
    The tank tanking Nazgrim suddenly died, whilst the offtank was taning 2 shamans(2 totems on the floor) and tons of other crap.

And then comes my proud moment, i instantly hit bearform and surv instincts, barkskin iron bark and taunted the boss, ran to the opposite side of the room and perceeded to tank him for a few seconds, boss went to 5% before i died. The two shamans also just had died at that moment, the offtank then grabbed the boss back and dps pwned him ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Spacebubble View Post
    You should try it on a warrior :-) I can 'almost' (probably could if we used all the externals available in a 25man) solo tank it on heroic 25, Maximum stacks I've hit with only my own CDs was about 27 then my cloak procced and we didn't have a paladin to remove it so I didn't want to risk dying. Active Mitigation is fun.
    27 stacks is insane. What was it hitting you for? The final hit on me was over 1.1 million.

I don't have the legendary cloak, so I don't know what the proc does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artemol View Post
    This is one of those stories, where the raid difficulty has no meaning.

Yesterday night, i was fighting Nazgrim(Heroic) healing it as a resto druid the fight went perfectly except for the last 15%.
    The tank tanking Nazgrim suddenly died, whilst the offtank was taning 2 shamans(2 totems on the floor) and tons of other crap.

And then comes my proud moment, i instantly hit bearform and surv instincts, barkskin iron bark and taunted the boss, ran to the opposite side of the room and perceeded to tank him for a few seconds, boss went to 5% before i died. The two shamans also just had died at that moment, the offtank then grabbed the boss back and dps pwned him ;P
    That's awesome. I love a druid who knows how to use all that utility.

Deleted
    Reminds me of Naxx 25 normal, we were doing zerg tactic on that chick with the 4 adds for the achieve(cant remember her name, I unsubbed anyway), she had about 4k health left, and I was the sole survivor, a pally healer , she rushes towards me and I bubble and hit holy shock, despite having no hit, she dies, her adds rape me and we all get the achieve!

Well done! I love moments like that!

I'll never forget the moment that, as Heroic Beth'tilac hit her enrage timer, I taunted on my Frost DK and used my rocket boots to buy the other DPS enough time to finish the last few percent as she chased me down for our very first kill.

Or the time that I pet tanked one of the minibosses on top of Galakras's towers on my hunter because the tank got knocked off the edge.

thought this would be about...something else...er nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    thought this would be about...something else...er nevermind...
    Me too!