Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Nightclub open hours

So there's going to be this change in my country's restaurant- and alcohol laws, which is going to cut the open hours of late night restaurants/bars/clubs by two hours in worst cases, forcing each and every establishment to stop serving alcohol at 01:30 and to close doors at 02:00. This obviously means massive cutbacks to staff and entertainment, which in turn reflects to other industries completely dependent on the restaurant business, i.e. performers, roadies..

This all being made while there's talk of how entrepreneurship should be encouraged, and how alcohol consumption in our country is gravitating towards home use. I don't visit clubs anymore, heck I don't even go out, but as an ex private business owner it furiates me that the businesses are being punished, and then the ministers have the nerve to blab on the media how it's a shame that people don't really want to run their own business anymore.

I'm just wondering, how strict are the rules in your country on the opening hours, or are we just an anomaly up here in the north.

Pennsylvania is pretty strict,

Bars can only be open until 2am

Only state owned stores are allowed to sell kegs, liqour or anything over a 12 pack

You need a license to sell 12 packs, and you can only buy 196 ounces at a time. If you want to buy two 12 packs, you need to buy the first one, set it outside and buy the other one.

You get fined if a deemed intoxicated person is seen drinking in your bar, not on the spot you get a notice a month later

My establishment once went to court to fight a charge and the judge told our lawyer to shutup during his opening statement and banged the gavel.

I assume you live in Sydney if so this country is turning to shit and everyone is just standing there and taking it.
    Fucking tony abbot and his liberals.
    Last edited by TheBeardedOne; 2014-01-28 at 07:46 AM.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

@Satimy, PA laws are stupid, state owned alcohol dispenseries are dumb.

From what I remember most places have to stop selling booze at 2am and thus most close at 2 or 2:30. I don't think there is actually a limit on when they can be open, but they have to have someone over 21 on staff while they are open to verify no booze is sold and, of course, meat markets suck if you aren't getting drunk.

@Whitey -> Did the government provide any kind of reason as to why they are forcing clubs to close or drinks to stop being served? Is binge drinking a problem in your country? Perhaps roving gangs of drunken twenty-somethings at 4am is an issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

*groan so hard* Why do people put bootleg/wanna-be-funny Locations on their profile, and then expect people to know where they live when they make threads?

Not sure about New York. Doubt there's a limit, its fucking New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    *groan so hard* Why do people put bootleg/wanna-be-funny Locations on their profile, and then expect people to know where they live when they make threads?

Not sure about New York. Doubt there's a limit, its fucking New York.
    Can't serve booze 4am to 8am in NY State, some counties/cities have more stringent laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_New_York

Also, NY State has essentially outlawed chain liquor stores.
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

@Satimy, PA laws are stupid, state owned alcohol dispenseries are dumb.

From what I remember most places have to stop selling booze at 2am and thus most close at 2 or 2:30. I don't think there is actually a limit on when they can be open, but they have to have someone over 21 on staff while they are open to verify no booze is sold and, of course, meat markets suck if you aren't getting drunk.

@Whitey -> Did the government provide any kind of reason as to why they are forcing clubs to close or drinks to stop being served? Is binge drinking a problem in your country? Perhaps roving gangs of drunken twenty-somethings at 4am is an issue?
    They are beyond dumb, at Penn State you can't have alcohol at a tailgate when the games going on. There are also late night liqour licenses that I have herd of but they might only be in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    They are beyond dumb, at Penn State you can't have alcohol at a tailgate when the games going on. There are also late night liqour licenses that I have herd of but they might only be in Philly.
    Heh almost had the cops called on me because I was in Total Wine in DE and the person I was with didn't have their ID. We are both over 30 and look it. Apparently you need to have your ID on you at all times in a liquor store in DE, or its a misdemeanor and fine, and if they don't report it and the person is underage they get fined.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll use my main home of Bendigo, Australia.
    Lockout is 2am, and the place usually closes at 3-4am though sometimes it stays open till 5-6am for special events.
    It's in the semi-country, out of the capitals, so it needs as much business as it can get to survive.

In the more country-country (population of like 4000 people) lockout is 1am, and the place closes at 2am. but that's probably more due to not having a heap of numbers to make a profit.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Closing at 3 or 5 here across the baltic sea, depends on their permits.

Illegal, unliscenced clubs will thrive if they close at 2(they do here even if it closes at 5, police dont care lol). Time to climb the barricades whitey.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

15+ Year Old Account
    the bars around here have to close at 4 am only if they are visible from the outside or when noise is a problem...

so if the bar is for example without windows or like some in the basement of a building opening hours are up to the people running the place

club berlin - open from 18:00 till 04:00

coyote - open from i have no clue till i have no clue, i sometimes leave when it´s 6 or 7 in the morning, just befor restaurants are opening again and then we have the fast food joints and wurst stands that sell beer and other stuff

vienna - austria
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Heh almost had the cops called on me because I was in Total Wine in DE and the person I was with didn't have their ID. We are both over 30 and look it. Apparently you need to have your ID on you at all times in a liquor store in DE, or its a misdemeanor and fine, and if they don't report it and the person is underage they get fined.
    Did it disenfranchise you from buying liqour in DE ? Theres an undercover sitting outside of every liqour store in my town basically at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Did it disenfranchise you from buying liqour in DE ? Theres an undercover sitting outside of every liqour store in my town basically at all times.
    Nah I live here so I don't care. Plus no sales tax is win.

Its funny the Total Wine is just off 95 just into DE from PA. Undercover sits and waits for people to go out of the parking lot and head to the 95 north onramp. I don't know if it is illegal to transport booze across state lines or something but they always have people pulled over for doing it.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    been to some clubs where they shut at 2am, Been to some all nighter's where they shut at 6am. Genrally the all night events stopped severing alchahol at some point during the night and switch to soft drinks / bottles of water.

Nah I live here so I don't care. Plus no sales tax is win.

Its funny the Total Wine is just off 95 just into DE from PA. Undercover sits and waits for people to go out of the parking lot and head to the 95 north onramp. I don't know if it is illegal to transport booze across state lines or something but they always have people pulled over for doing it.
    Sure enough, super hard-ass PA made it illegal to be in possession of booze you didn't buy from the state store.

http://noplcb.blogspot.com/2009/10/b...rage-into.html
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Sure enough, super hard-ass PA made it illegal to be in possession of booze you didn't buy from the state store.

http://noplcb.blogspot.com/2009/10/b...rage-into.html

Cant half ass that monopoly

This could be counter productive if they wanted to prevent certain issues, people would just start earlier at home and everyone leaving at 2 would probably cause more troubles, while if you close later you got people dropping off during the night (not everyone can keep going till late), less people would congregate in public places at the same time, lowering the risk for drunken stupidity, e.g drunken browls.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    This could be counter productive if they wanted to prevent certain issues, people would just start earlier at home and everyone leaving at 2 would probably cause more troubles, while if you close later you got people dropping off during the night (not everyone can keep going till late), less people would congregate in public places at the same time, lowering the risk for drunken stupidity, e.g drunken browls.
    Slow your roll, homesauce. I didn't suggest those are problems or that closing earlier would fix them, I asked Whitey what kind of reasoning/justification his government (wherever that is) gave for the new laws.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Slow your roll, homesauce. I didn't suggest those are problems or that closing earlier would fix them, I asked Whitey what kind of reasoning/justification his government (wherever that is) gave for the new laws.
    Didnt mean it that way hehe just my amateur analysis of the backside/cons of that reasoning if that is their reasoning.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The media in Melbourne is making a massive push to change the opening hours of nightclubs / pubs to curve street violence. While violence does happen. It is such a low percentage causing the problems that I don't see it being worth while. Lack of public transport / taxis are a bigger issue.

Its a shame though, while I don't typically go out much past 2. I still like the option.