Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Atlanta (9th Largest Metro City) Shutdown due to 2 inches of snow.

Yup. 2 inches.

I can't really explain it all, so here's just an article and a few pictures/video.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jan-...a-to-shut-down

http://thoughtcatalog.com/jessica-bl...nta-right-now/

I live 30 minutes away from the city, so we got a nice bit of snow (for Georgia), which people are not used to down here. What also added to the problem is that a school board decided to not cancel school, and now quite a few kids are stranded at school.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...Southerners.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

I'd love to see people in Florida attempt to drive on ice. I'm sure it'd just be hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still getting cold rain. /cry

2 inches of snow would be.....

Spring, for us

It does suck for those who aren't familiar with 'winter' driving and such though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'd love to see people in Florida attempt to drive on ice. I'm sure it'd just be hilarious.
    Youtube can accomodate your request. They're hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 inches of snow? For us down here, it's more like 16 feet of lava.
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I'm still getting cold rain. /cry
    Don't worry, this snow kind of sucks anyways. It's so powdery you can't sled or make snowballs with them

Worst part is, they're a lot less likely to have salt and snow plows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    Yup. 2 inches.

I can't really explain it all, so here's just an article and a few pictures/video.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jan-...a-to-shut-down

http://thoughtcatalog.com/jessica-bl...nta-right-now/

I live 30 minutes away from the city, so we got a nice bit of snow (for Georgia), which people are not used to down here. What also added to the problem is that a school board decided to not cancel school, and now quite a few kids are stranded at school.
    Nor should they close the schools. I dont see why these People cant even drive in little more than a coating of snow. Does everybody have bald tires in the south or something? Up north we routinely drive in 6 inches or more of snow with little more than a few fender benders, and life is pretty much normal

Yep...I live in Georgia and I am ashamed of this...

I heard my little brother's school was canceled today due to snow and icy roads so I walked outside...not even 2 inches of snow. Like, it looks more like someone sprinkled glitter on the lawn...

I also drove around town doing some errands today...icy roads my ass.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    Plows wouldnt even be used for only 2 inches of snow. It would likely damage the road because the blade woould have to scrape the pavement the whole time. Normally the plows dont start plowing till there is at least 4 inches and even then they dont scrape the pavement. They could just spread some small stones on the road and it would be fine with that little amount of snow

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Nor should they close the schools. I dont see why these People cant even drive in little more than a coating of snow. Does everybody have bald tires in the south or something? Up north we routinely drive in 6 inches or more of snow with little more than a few fender benders, and life is pretty much normal
    Actually, yes. The tires are not designed down here to go with the snow, so it's a LOT harder to control cars on it. Also, the amount of accidents down here from 2-inches is the reason why most counties shut down school. It's EXTREMELY dangerous on the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Plows wouldnt even be used for only 2 inches of snow. It would likely damage the road because the blade woould have to scrape the pavement the whole time. Normally the plows dont start plowing till there is at least 4 inches and even then they dont scrape the pavement. They could just spread some small stones on the road and it would be fine with that little amount of snow
    They do around here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Come up here. For some reason, there's a lot of southern states people in this city lately (must be a trade show or something). I nearly got ran over by an idiot in a huge jacked up truck with rock crawling tires and Texas plates who slid straight through a red light.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

There's 2 things people from the North (where I grew up) don't take into account with stories like these:

1) The South isn't equipped to handle snow/ice. They happen infrequently enough that investing resources to deal with snow/ice isn't feasible.
    2) Because of the temperature swings in the South, snow melts during the day, and refreezes into black ice slicks during the evening.

Although it does seem like a tiny quantity of snow, and amusing to people used to dealing with winter issues, it's pretty crippling for Southern cities.
    Heck, even up North ice storms will cripple a city.

10+ Year Old Account
    The snow isnt really the issue, the highways are iced over and backed up to no end. I'm assuming Atlanta doesn't have sufficient plowing and salting equipment to clean it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    Plows? On the residential streets here, they only plow it down to 4 inches accumulation.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    The snow isnt really the issue, the highways are iced over and backed up to no end. I'm assuming Atlanta doesn't have sufficient plowing and salting equipment to clean it up.
    They actually did invest in a TON of equipment for this kind of thing, but the roads are so backed-up they can't do anything about them.