10+ Year Old Account

Returing to Tyria

Hello fellow MMO-C forum-goers! Recently I decided to try Guild Wars 2 again. I played a decent amount of the game from launch to a few months (2 or 3) afterwards. I never got into a guild or anything serious, mainly just mucked about with friends.

I managed to max my ranger, got some gear, did a fractal or two and finished the main story quest (the last dungeon was really obnoxious and epic, loved it). Now that I am returning I find myself wondering how I want to play the game.

In WoW I was an achievement junkie, I had about 19,460 achievement points and 240 or so mounts and I loved raiding. GW2, although lacking raids (world bosses were kinda boring to me), the dungeons were hard and pvp was kinda fun here and there.

Is there anything I need to do as soon as I jump in? What sort of things do I need to look for in a semi-hardcore guild? Is pet control still hair pullingly annoying as a ranger (i remember my pet dying a lot in dungeon runs)? What is a ranger build for someone much more PvE minded than PvP?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as I will basically be riding solo until I can manage to fit myself into a nice guild, as it stands now I feel pretty overwhelmed.
    Tired of ElvUI and its various clones?

Try one of these:

Altz UI
    // RealUI // KaitUI // ls: UI

Deleted
    If returning, check out Bogotter on the youtubes & for general stuff folk like WoodenPotatoes.
    PvE wise I can`t help, other then pets are still awful & it`s still warrior/guardian/mesmer mostly.
    PvP is one huge mess & WvWs from what I hear is still ZvZ as the WvWs seasons had most folk move to busier servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Supakaiser View Post
    Hello fellow MMO-C forum-goers! Recently I decided to try Guild Wars 2 again. I played a decent amount of the game from launch to a few months (2 or 3) afterwards. I never got into a guild or anything serious, mainly just mucked about with friends.

I managed to max my ranger, got some gear, did a fractal or two and finished the main story quest (the last dungeon was really obnoxious and epic, loved it). Now that I am returning I find myself wondering how I want to play the game.

In WoW I was an achievement junkie, I had about 19,460 achievement points and 240 or so mounts and I loved raiding. GW2, although lacking raids (world bosses were kinda boring to me), the dungeons were hard and pvp was kinda fun here and there.

Is there anything I need to do as soon as I jump in? What sort of things do I need to look for in a semi-hardcore guild? Is pet control still hair pullingly annoying as a ranger (i remember my pet dying a lot in dungeon runs)? What is a ranger build for someone much more PvE minded than PvP?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as I will basically be riding solo until I can manage to fit myself into a nice guild, as it stands now I feel pretty overwhelmed.
    Do yourself a favor and /uninstall. The game has actually only gotten worse. PvP is a broken joke that hardly anyone takes seriously anymore. Most hardcore PvPers quit the game ages ago. WvW is still ZvZ with way more dead servers than ever before. The new WvW seasons did more harm than good. PvE has been all about the shitty Living Story updates that are all temporary and very shallow and only give farming achievements as any sort of activity.

Whereas most MMOs generally tend to improve over their first 1-2 years after launch, GW2 has actually done the exact opposite. Of course, it's not surprising considering the devs at Anet are completely oblivious to everything and wouldn't know how to properly manage an MMO if their lives depended on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Do yourself a favor and /uninstall. The game has actually only gotten worse. PvP is a broken joke that hardly anyone takes seriously anymore. Most hardcore PvPers quit the game ages ago. WvW is still ZvZ with way more dead servers than ever before. The new WvW seasons did more harm than good. PvE has been all about the shitty Living Story updates that are all temporary and very shallow and only give farming achievements as any sort of activity.

Whereas most MMOs generally tend to improve over their first 1-2 years after launch, GW2 has actually done the exact opposite. Of course, it's not surprising considering the devs at Anet are completely oblivious to everything and wouldn't know how to properly manage an MMO if their lives depended on it.
    Perhaps I'll be infracted for this, but it'll be worth it.

What a load of bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Okay, stay on topic.

No game ever needed it's honor defended.

-- Fencers

GW2 may lack raids but it has raiding community.If you are on US server join the TTS community.If you are on EU realm join TxS alliance.Both groups do raids every night and kill the bosses that have raiding mechanics like Tequatl and soon the new worm.
    Also if you want more hard content try to join a guild that is doing ONLY speed clears in dungeons and kills Lupi solo.
    Well that is what can i advise you if you want anything hard.

Deleted
    I'm myself looking forward to come back playing GW2 again, I have played WoW for a long time, new expansion and friends dragged me in, but I'm still was not quite enjoying WoW like I did when I bought GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Start doing JPs for those APs you junkie! also dont forget dailies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Like the OP i preordered and played the game for about 3/4 months then Pandaria came and most of my friends stopped playing and i lost interest.

Can someone recommend a good video introducing the game from today's version of the game?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoc2k View Post
    Like the OP i preordered and played the game for about 3/4 months then Pandaria came and most of my friends stopped playing and i lost interest.

Can someone recommend a good video introducing the game from today's version of the game?
    Check youtubers WoodenPotatoes, MagicalMike, BogOtter.

Checking with those youtubers is a good idea. Also go to the Guilld Wars 2 website and check game updates for an abbreviated rundown of what's gone on and been added.

Depending on how long ago you left, you may want to log into each character to add all items into your Wallet. The Wallet is a new feature that collects all tokens and currencies. Logging into each character will add their tokens and currencies into the account wide wallet. This centralizes all gold and karma.

For dungeons, a LFG was finally added under the Contacts mentu (Y).

Since you like Achievements, you should find Achievement chest rewards awaiting you. Ever certain plateau of Achievement Points you get a AP reward chest. If you are owed more than one chest, you will be rewarded with a new chest each day you log in until you are caught up. You can also see a more detailed Achievement Menu in the hero panel. Magic Find is account wide now and can be found in the Achievement menu as well.

Also, if you had any Magic Find gear then you will find the stats have been changed on these. Certain items will allow you to pick a new stat allocation to replace the old one. If you had Traveler runes before, those are worth quite a bit now due to the change.

Overall, they altered a lot of the reward systems in the past year. WvWvW also has its own reward system and ranks. If you were owed Ranks or Chests via that then you'll find yourself receiving those with each new rank. They are removing Glory from spvp and added a new glory vendor in the Mists lobby to spend the last of the player's glory. There's also a finisher panel in the Hero menu to choose which finishers to use out of those you've unlocked.

There's various world changes as well, but those should be in the Updates page on ANet's site. Some of the system changes are the stuff that tends to get overlooked in the update previews.

Deleted
    Well, since you're already an experienced GW2 player you already know that the leveling process is heavily dependant on your choices and the profession you are playing. Meaning taking an elementalist to max level will have a much higher death count than doing the same on a warrior or guardian. For me it was (and is) all about the experience itself. The game world is beautiful, the characters are lovely, the story is overall well put together, the voice-over is not bad at all and the gameplay is pleasant.

To answer specifically, rangers are still frowned upon in dungeons (so yes, pets are still an issue); check for guild activities, namely guild bounty missions, WvW group-ups, event attendance, etc.. As with any mmo the ppl make up the guild and as such you should look for a guild with active people that is well-organized and has a mature attitude regarding in-game and off-game issues.

One tip: don't bother with endgame world events until you reach max level. Take your time (re)getting the hang of the game.

I was thinking of starting the game up again due to the most recent updates etc is it still worth it?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by a6yearoldgamer View Post
    I was thinking of starting the game up again due to the most recent updates etc is it still worth it?
    Idk how about you log in and tell us if it was worth it its not like ANet charges you for logging in >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. You could be updating now.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    No, not really. Especially as you didn't tell us why you haven't kept updated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Idk how about you log in and tell us if it was worth it its not like ANet charges you for logging in >.>
    Going a bit Ot here but... This! Ha ha ha!

Really! Take advantage of the payment model of GW2 and hop in whenever you feel like it and give it a go. You might be in for a good surprise and if you don't it's not like you wasted any $ anyway (unlike many other games). Having the (IMO) disadvantage of not having a trial, GW2 compensates for that the moment you actually buy the game. It's there, waiting for you, for as long as they have their servers on. No extra fees.