Thread: Moving Walkways

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Moving Walkways

I'm here in Singapore right now, and I've encountered quite a few moving walkways in the MRT stations (train/subway). They're of course also common in airports around the world. So my question for you is this: When confronted with a moving walkway, do you walk while on it, or stand? If one or the other, why? Does the same hold true for escalators?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    If at an airport, I'll walk, because I want to get to my gate in time.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    Moving walkway = walk. It's awesome how weird it feels. It's as if you're one of those bugged out characters that have the walking animation but have running movement speed.
    Escalator = depends on mood.
    Statix will suffice.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm here in Singapore right now, and I've encountered quite a few moving walkways in the MRT stations (train/subway). They're of course also common in airports around the world. So my question for you is this: When confronted with a moving walkway, do you walk while on it, or stand? If one or the other, why? Does the same hold true for escalators?
    If the people in front of me are walking I'll walk. If they are not moving ill just stand there and wait. If im tired I'll stand there but move to the side making sure to leave some space for people who are in a hurry. Mostly being polite + personal needs. Same principle applies to escalators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    Used to walk on them and think they were silly to begin with, now I embrace them and enjoy the freedom of mobility they provide.

Deleted
    Lol last time i was at an airport i was pretending i was Dash out of the incredibles. RUN LIKE THE WIND

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Moving walkway = walk. It's awesome how weird it feels. It's as if you're one of those bugged out characters that have the walking animation but have running movement speed.
    This. Walking along a moving walkway feels like you're gliding!

Always follow common courtesy rules, of course. If I'm alone I'll walk. If I'm with someone I'll just stand.

It's a moving walkway, the point is that you don't have to move. I'm from the USA, the furthest I walk to on a given day is to my car.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I usually stand on them, then again I haven't seen them too often.

Moving walkway or staircase, I always walk. The intent of those things is to get from A to B faster, speeding up pedestrian traffic. Not to be lazy and slow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like to walk on them.

nyoom

Not escalators though. Especially not in Beijing, people just stand wherever they please so there's rarely any room to walk without busting out the 对不起s or the 借光s
    Last edited by Overthinking; 2014-01-28 at 04:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I walk. I usually walk past it since I walk faster than the walkway moves (though I know walking ON the walkway is even faster) and since they're usually crowded by lazy people it's not worth bothering with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will always walk while on the walkway, the same as I do on escalators. I understand the purpose of the walkways, or at least the purpose I invented in my head for them, and that is to help people with their heavy luggage. I travel pretty light, so I never needed the added assistance of a moving floor.

Depends how tired I am, if exhausted after a long journey I'll stand on em, if I just wanna get to the airport and get checked in I'll walk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I walk, the opposite direction it goes in.

I like to watch the world burn.

Deleted
    Walk or more aptly bounce along them like i'm on the moon. Escalators i mix it up depending how busy it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plow through the walking side, roller bag first.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    It's a moving walkway, the point is that you don't have to move. I'm from the USA, the furthest I walk to on a given day is to my car.
    You are meant to walk on them, thats the point to speed up. If you stand still you go slower then a standard walking pace. Actually one of my pet peeves at airports is the numpties standing still on them blocking the way.

Deleted
    I walk while I'm on both escalators and moving walkways. Actually walking on moving walkways is a lot of fun since you are so fast without actually walking fast :P

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Couldn't have put it any better myself.