Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    My parents had to do this with my brother since he was completely disinterested in school - I asked for the same, but I was already on the honor roll every year and they knew I just wanted the free cash. For what it's worth, it didn't work so well for my brother.

Only makes sense, everyone loves money after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    To people saying: "what does this teach children?"

It teaches them the same thing any real job that you choose to go to does. You get paid better for better performance.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Isn't that what Scholarships are for?

I guess the only problem with this approach is assumption that "everyone loves the money"...

Sure, money are useful, but "everyone loves" might be not quite universal. "Let's replace love with money, same thing, right?!"

Also as far as such research goes, removing money incentive later makes pupil motivation drop way below pre-incentive levels; if you start giving money you have to keep giving money, or else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I pay for "A's". 5 bucks per, BUT any grade lower than a "C" and I take 5 buck off. IE 2 "A's" and 2 "C's" and a "B" she get no money but 3 "A's" and 2 "C's" and she gets 5 bucks.
    Why would you take away money for a C when you indicated you only took away money for lower than a C? "That's not what you said! " "Do you want this $5 or don't you??" And then I'd get D's the rest of my schooling. Pretty much what happened to me "here's my report card! You owe me $50!" "I owe you? I cook every night and do the laundry and and ..." yeah... needless to say, that ended my honor roll streak in a hurry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    I never got paid for getting good grades, I never expected a reward - the satisfaction of having done well and giving myself the chance to do well in the future was enough motivation for me.

However, my parents would often reward me in one manner or another for doing well. I got a nice watch for my Highers and taken out for an especially nice meal for my Advanced Highers.

But, it was never expected - I was not once told I'd get rewarded in such a way.

The documentary based on the Freakonomics book had a good section on this. They paid the kids 50 bucks if they had Cs or better. The result was that some kids went from Ds/Fs to Cs, but it had no effect on the kids already making Cs or Bs. The last part is obvious, since they have no incentive to do better. If they said $50 for Cs, $100 for Bs and $200 for As, that might work better. I think the problem with incentives like this is it tends to lead to corruption and cheating (they talked about this extensively in the documentary too).

If you have Netflix check it out, it's quite interesting. For the people worrying about paying for it: kids who makes As and Bs are probably (no data here) much less likely to commit crimes, lead more productive lives, etc. The long terms gains from improved productivity, less prisoners, etc. could very well outweigh the relatively minor up front costs.

Deleted
    Paying kids to perform is a behaviousistic approach to education. Concider this - if you do pay and give an incentive for kids to perform at school through economic rewards, you do take away the kids motivation as well as risking the kid to loose interest in the payment unless you raise it even further. I think it's a counterproductive shortterm method that is downright stupid in the long term.

Deleted
    Children aren't normally graded here until they reach the 7-8th grade. But I would probably encourage my preteen or teenager with money or some other form of reward. To show them that hard work pays off.

- - - Updated - - -

When I finished 10th grade with amazing grades, my mother bought me an Ipod. I still have and use the Ipod 6-7 years later. I think it's a good thing for older kids.
    Last edited by mmocca40cecdff; 2014-01-29 at 01:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    To people saying: "what does this teach children?"

It teaches them the same thing any real job that you choose to go to does. You get paid better for better performance.
    It teaches them nothing except that they need a carrot as an incentive to perform at all times instead of working for grades and preparation for the future with the endgoal of fulfilling their own plans or dreams as a reward. If you want someone to work and perform in the long run this method is compleatly worthless. If however they dont have any plans or dreams - as many kids doens't, then they're probably better off with a bagpacking or greeting job at Wal-mart (or some other crap job) and perhaps coming back to school after some time with real motivation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    The documentary based on the Freakonomics book had a good section on this. They paid the kids 50 bucks if they had Cs or better. The result was that some kids went from Ds/Fs to Cs, but it had no effect on the kids already making Cs or Bs. The last part is obvious, since they have no incentive to do better. If they said $50 for Cs, $100 for Bs and $200 for As, that might work better. I think the problem with incentives like this is it tends to lead to corruption and cheating (they talked about this extensively in the documentary too).

If you have Netflix check it out, it's quite interesting. For the people worrying about paying for it: kids who makes As and Bs are probably (no data here) much less likely to commit crimes, lead more productive lives, etc. The long terms gains from improved productivity, less prisoners, etc. could very well outweigh the relatively minor up front costs.
    Not to mention the kids raising the bar for what is seen to them as a reward after some time when the stimuli isn't enough to them.

Deleted
    I can see what you guys mean. It won't do any good long term, unless the children have actual motivation as well. I do believe however that the occasional reward isn't malplaced. For preteens and teens.

Uh.. if it's the parents money, who are we to judge about that?
    But, ye if it helps, I would do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsius View Post
    It teaches them nothing except that they need a carrot as an incentive to perform at all times instead of working for grades and preparation for the future with the endgoal of fulfilling their own plans or dreams as a reward. If you want someone to work and perform in the long run this method is compleatly worthless. If however they dont have any plans or dreams - as many kids doens't, then they're probably better off with a bagpacking or greeting job at Wal-mart (or some other crap job) and perhaps coming back to school after some time with real motivation.

- - - Updated - - -
    What age are we actually talking about? Preparation for the future, endgoal of fulfilling plans, oh my God. How about letting kids be kids. Nobody should be making long term plans and thinking about "preparation" and "future" when they're 8 or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Actually, everyone should be thinking about the future when they're 8. That's why you hear kids say they want to be things like police and doctors when they grow up...
    People are longer grown up than they are kids to begin with, don't shorten that time any further.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    People are longer grown up than they are kids to begin with, don't shorten that time any further.
    I completely agree. Let children be children. They have approximiately 20 years of being young and 60 where they're expected to be adults.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    What exactly does this teach children?
    I dunno, that work and dedication is rewarded?
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I don't see where they ever suggested the government does it...so down boy!

Parents maybe, but as Rich pointed out that's what an allowance is for.
    so for kids who dont get allowance this is a great idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Actually, everyone should be thinking about the future when they're 8. That's why you hear kids say they want to be things like police and doctors when they grow up...
    Life planning of adults and filial exploration of social positioning are psychogically entirely different processes, but we don't wanna get to knowledgeable and substantiated about it, do we.

Monetary compensation for doing well is obviously a useful incentive, our whole life resolves around that idea.

But should it be the sole motivator? No.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance