Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast

The search engine taught me very little... But, the internet has taught me quite a bit. More than school? I don't know.

Also, do you consider YouTube to be Google?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    That's what they said about the printing press too.
    Source? Or is that another flawed and baseless factoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    Peoples understanding of what "taught" actually means is beyond astounding. Google did not "teach" you a single damned thing. You will find you "learnt" it yourself. Most likely by doing what you failed to do at school. Pay attention to the information in front of you.

You cannot be "taught" anything unless you are willing to learn. And judging by most of your responses my guess is you paid fuck all attention when you were actually in your schooling years so now thing Google is king.
    Google is king as an extension of schooling, not as stand-alone omnipotent knowledge base (though google itself isn't much of a source).

By the way, if some of you didn't know this: http://scholar.google.fi/

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Also, do you consider YouTube to be Google?
    Well, big G does indeed own Youtube... but the content is still mostly user made.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    I'm sure a lot of us now days run to Google when we need things answered and usually get the answer we want, and more as well. Can you say that google has taught you more things than you think? Have you learned what you could never have learned while in school or any other sort of secondary education?
    Google teaches you one thing. How to find the answer, and not how to remember the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    Yes, probably. I'm very much an independent learner with an interest in learning, so I've taught myself a lot of stuff using the internet.

However, it should be said that things like algebra and chemistry I wouldn't have learned without proper schooling, and I was your typical smart-kid-not-reaching-his-potential in high school. I could have learned a lot more than I did if only I had done my goddamn homework.

Also, I'm 27 years old, which is important to know in this question. My total time spent outside of secondary school greatly exceeds my time spent in secondary school.

I do think a day is coming where we will have to reevaluate how we teach our children. Remember how you used to not be able to use your calculators on tests because "you wont always have a calculator"? That just isn't true anymore. In todays world you will always have a calculator. The need to remember a lot of names, dates, the periodic table, etc is going away. The internet is part of our lives now and a vast repository of information - there is no real need to memorize this stuff when the references are so easy to get to.
    This, exactly this. The only thing that needs changing is my age, to which I'm 25.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Google is just a library, it doesn't teach anything.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe .
    but the real thing is that google teach thing more useful for the ever changing way of life .
    you can choose what to learn and what not , and you can always comeback to those things you leave behind.

and the best part is that theres no pesky grades jajaja .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Google is just a library, it doesn't teach anything.

libraries teach you to be quiet .

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MORGATH99 View Post
    libraries teach you to be quiet .
    Librarians, not libraries.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I don't know about just google but the internet as a whole probably yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Repetition, breeds learning. Make them keep looking stuff up.

It's all there.
    Critical thinking isnt a hall mark for young people, the internet is great but can easily leave the student ending up at biased or innacurate sites that they happily munch as the truth.
    Needless to say the internet is awesome as long as they are aware that it is the most innacurate source of information on the planet.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well considering I spent 15 years of my life in school... I'm going to say probably not. Not yet anyway. The internet sure has taught me faster and more efficiently than most learning institutions have though. Once I have enough time put in, I'll be able to say yes to your question. Give me a few more years!

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Repetition, breeds learning. Make them keep looking stuff up.

It's all there.
    I'm not saying that I haven't fallen prey to it, either. I definitely noticed a decline in my retention when I hit the latter university years and began getting lazy and getting over-reliant on the internet for my information. There's something to be said about gaining information from the pursuit of it - like many a mnemonic device, the act of searching for and then physically holding a book in your hand tends to make recall of the entirely experience, including the information you discovered, much more reliable. The same goes for interactive conversation with experts in whatever field you're discussing.

I've likely read thousands of books worth of text starting at a computer or phone screen - the experience was identical in most cases. As such, I cannot rely on memory of the experience to recall the information therein. I can recite, verbatim, a few passages from a textbook I read while on the can, but only have a general recollection of various books I've read sitting here in this chair from the computer screen (books I enjoyed a lot more than that textbooks, no less).

Yes, Ive learned so much from working on my car, and learned to pretty much build a computer from google.

15+ Year Old Account
    Having a teacher provide information to you in a classroom is a much more efficient way of learning. They teach you what is important, what is accurate (most of the time), and can field questions you have instantly.

I feel you can still learn just about anything by searching the internet if you want to invest the time. It is no where near as efficient though. You have to sift through loads of BS, and if you don't understand something, you have to search some more.

I would say I learned more in college just because that's what I was there for. If I wanted to invest 6-8 hours a day into trying to learn something by searching the internet, I'm sure I could get pretty darn far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Indless View Post
    Yes, Ive learned so much from working on my car, and learned to pretty much build a computer from google.
    people say this like before google was there no one knew how to build a computer..

And again. learned vs taught. very very different things

School taught me reading, writing, math, foreign languages just to name a few simple, basic skills. Besides that it also taught me a lot which I am currently using for my profession. It has also taught me a lot that was useless in the end but it also taught me how to read those internet pages so without school I couldn't even use the internet.

Most of what I learned from the internet is only useful in trivial pursuit. Maybe 5% was actually usefull, 45% was interesting things I pick up while reading on the internet and 50% was just random stuff I wanted to know without actually having a use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Google is king as an extension of schooling, not as stand-alone omnipotent knowledge base (though google itself isn't much of a source).

By the way, if some of you didn't know this: http://scholar.google.fi/

Well, big G does indeed own Youtube... but the content is still mostly user made.
    Google doesn't create the websites you're directed to when you search. Google has very little to offer anyone in terms of learning material.

Deleted
    Yes, but only due to my personal circumstances.

Playing truant, leaving with no qualifications, ect.

Google has allowed me to reach a competent level of education, comparable to others my age; But it's cursory, i lack a lot of knowledge that's in-depth within certain subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Google doesn't create the websites you're directed to when you search. Google has very little to offer anyone in terms of learning material.
    Yeah? I already stated that in the exact post you quoted. :P