Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I don't know anyone who's ever felt the need to put away $15,000/year for their retirement.
    People who don't start saving until they're 40 because they were irresponsible with their money earlier in life?

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    People who don't start saving until they're 40 because they were irresponsible with their money earlier in life?
    Despite doubling it's earnings in the last 3 years the business I work for decided that the easiest way to increase it's earnings would be to slash everybodies bonuses. Which worked out to about a 10% pay cut (Because the job market is a piece of shit right now, so what are we going to do? Quit? ) Which is exactly how much I was putting away for retirement. So it worked out perfectly. I either had to compromise my standard of living, or stop saving money.

And of course some adjustments in personal finance can take a few years at a time. So once I'm done dialing down my standard of living, I suppose I'll have to make up for lost time in saving. Was I "irresponsible" in wanting to have it all? To enjoy life as much as possible, AND save money at the same time?Or should only billionaires have that luxury? I was just being a childish asshole. Despite having a good paying job I should have rented a shanty shack and budgeted for a diet of nothing but mr. noodles.?

Well it was just a general statement that can be altered based on anecdotal stories.

I suppose it was snippy to say 'irresponsible', but at the same time, when you have baby boomers having practically nothing in retirement (clicky), you can see why I chose the phrasing I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Well it was just a general statement that can be altered based on anecdotal stories.

I suppose it was snippy to say 'irresponsible', but at the same time, when you have baby boomers having practically nothing in retirement (clicky), you can see why I chose the phrasing I did.
    Well the boomers made their own bed there. But unfortunately even had they done things differently the lessons they passed down to us would have been lost in the growing inequity that is slowly wrenching our society apart. We've gotten pretty good at taking money out of one pocket and putting it in the other, but when you have all of these fat cat billionaires giving less and less of their profits to their employees, and whisking it away into off shore accounts never to be seen again, sooner or later it's going to catch up, because that's money being stripped from the demand side of the economy getting flushed into oblivion.