Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lets make all races able to "Go to the other side" (example: Horde Dwarves)

I think it would be reasonable and add some more depth to the game at a certain level if this was possible.

I chatted with a few of the DEV's about it at the last blizzcon and it has been internally discussed as "Traitor" role playing and so forth is evident in the storylines yet not possible for players.

Be cool if you could be able to do a nice quest on your race, to defect.

The biggest reason it would be challenging at this stage in the life cycle of WOW is the amount of QA that would be required for what would be a novelty feature at this point, so many retests of the quests/paths required and this thing would appeal to a limited audience.

Did I just solution myself out of this change by identifying the benefits don't exceed the work effort? ROFL I must be getting better at my real life job

Considering the technology to let you transfer to the other race for scenarios, I'm wondering why they haven't considered just applying it to same-faction PVP: "Ho ho the Alliance wizards have convinced both Horde teams that the other team is Alliance"

10+ Year Old Account
    I do like how some MMO's factions aren't race specific, it is a choice that you make as the player. I guess with the lore of WoW though so much is tied into the races specifically that could never work. The defection idea is pretty cool, but I feel like there should be something that you lose (as you would be a traitor) and something that you would gain (as you would be turning your back on your new allie's enemy).

Do it through an intensive and infuriatingly difficult rep grind.

10+ Year Old Account
    The concept reminds me of a certain other MMO...
    "It is fortunate
    to be favored
    with praise and popularity.
    It is dire luck
    to be dependent
    on the feelings of your fellow man."

10+ Year Old Account
    I think when it finally makes sense in lore, such as the citizens of Azeroth must all band together to defeat the ultimate enemy, maybe an Avatar of Sargeras (because I don't think we can ACTUALLY kill him), and calls for the need of all races working together, then sure, let's do that.

There are many examples where characters who consider themselves outside of the "Horde" and "Alliance" have banded together, despite their races being different and considered "at war". I think it would be interesting, but it must make sense in lore before it can happen, specifically for this scenario.

But it will also piss off a lot of people, who are very faction biased, and don't want to see Gnomes running around in Orgrimmar, or don't want to see an Orc trading in the Trade District auction house.
    Currently Procrastinating

Quote Originally Posted by dreaderus View Post
    Lets make all races able to "Go to the other side"
    I have a better idea.

Lets not.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I have a better idea.

Lets not.
    Why not? how would it impact u didn't provide any reasons thus I don't think your post was very constructive I certainly welcome someone to disagree however I am not sure why you took the effort here.

I have a better idea.

Lets not.
    Much great point, such justification, so convincing wow.

Deleted
    I've thought about this a while ago (I believe back while Firelands was current) because many of my friends stayed Horde when 3 of us rerolled Alliance twinks which happened to become our new mains. The thing is, how would they implement it? Would it be an option for everybody to simply pay for a faction transfer and do a questline? Or would you only be able to create new "traitor characters"? Would every race need its own introductory to the opposing faction?

This would be a pretty controversial topic. There's the old folks who still hold a grudge against the opposing faction and then there's the other people who couldn't care less about the fact that there even are seperate factions anymore. Obviously, there's people inbetween those two sides, too.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so. I don't want to have to put up with more Draenei and Human male laughs.

They'd probably do this, but then also charge $25.

Can't lose that faction change money.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    They'd probably do this, but then also charge $25.

Can't lose that faction change money.
    There are ways.

"In order to offset the server load of bi-factional characters, use of this feature will require a premium subscription costing only as little as 25$ a month."

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    So... kind of start out all the classes as neutral? Like the Pandaren? And then let them decide? I dunno how I feel about that one. I feel like it could have been done with Goblins and Worgen, but I feel like the lore of certain races ties them a little too closely to their faction (Human and Orcs coexisting... in Orgrimmar... there would be some friction there).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a better idea.

Lets not.
    I think your idea is something very likeable.

I hate it this bullshit trend that popped up recently. Make everything available for everyone..
    Good lord, play another game for Christs sake or accept WoW for what it is, and what it offers.
    It doesn't need to be reinvented.
    Let Alliance races join Horde. Let Horde races join Alliance..... Why the fuck don't we just end the war abolish the factions and make one Hordiance that sits around a campfire singing Row row row your boat.....
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

While it's a neat idea (I'd definitely like to see it happen), it could possibly have some not-so-stellar repercussions.

Some sort of a trial run of the idea would be somewhat necessary, imo.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Let Alliance races join Horde. Let Horde races join Alliance..... Why the fuck don't we just end the war abolish the factions and make one Hordiance that sits around a campfire singing Row row row your boat.....
    ^Doesn't know anything about defecting or treason.

Characters switching sides doesn't magically equal a "kumbaya mah lawd" lovefest. Silly goose.
    Last edited by BatteredRose; 2014-02-01 at 01:31 AM.

Deleted
    i hope not.
    i wouldnt like it if there were allyscum in the streets of orgrimmar for any other reason then to be sloughtered.

lorewise. sure, there may be some traitors, but if the playerbase could just factionchange with any race, the identity of the horde and alliance would soon vanish.
    just think about it. where is the difference between the factions if both faction feature the same races? (in wow)
    the horde fights the alliance (and viceversa) for hatred and survival. they want to keep their ground and dont like the Primal (horde) / arrogant (alliance) races.
    if the races would mingle, there would be no reason to have an alliance and horde. both would join. and why would they not?
    if they accept the other races into their ranks (reasons of split between factions gone), why not just merge?

edit:
    sure, singe traitors chaning factions wouldnt mean the end of the war, but after some time the faction would probablly house many of the other faction. maybe even split 50/50. and on that scale you cant talk of "just inviting traitors".

what i want to say is, if you let players change faction, betray is not a good way to do that cause too many would betray their faction. (how is it betray if 40% of alliance leave to be horde?)
    Last edited by mmoc7197d3f1cb; 2014-02-01 at 01:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post

Characters switching sides doesn't magically equal a "kumbaya mah lawd" lovefest. Silly goose.
    It diminishes the distinction.. Therefore yes, it blurs the game out more and more..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I like it. there are certain factions in game which have races from both sides working together (Argent Dawn, Ebon Blade, Moonglade Druids spring to mind), and also in the lore. I think there would need to be a cap on it per account however, as it would make little sense to have more orcs in the alliance than gnomes for example.

No Orcs in my Alliance. Not now, not ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    So don't wear skimpy clothes getting raped is not entirely out of your control either.