Thread: 2014 Priorities

2014 Priorities

The petition to deport Justin Bieber has reached 200,000 signatures, while the petition demanding an investigation on why toxic chemicals were dumped into West Virginias Water Supply as of yesterday morning was less than 500. WTF?

Currently Playing: Eldevin

10+ Year Old Account
    It is called awareness, more people know about Bieber.

Deleted
    Yup. It's shameful, really.

Deleted
    I think it's obvious as to why one is famous while the other isn't, and consequently, why one has more signatures than the other.

Bieber is clearly the greater threat to our nation.

What percentage of their leisure time do people spend on understand finance and investing vs games, music, art?

I bet that is seriously imbalanced in favor of games, music, and art.

Quote Originally Posted by plat0nic View Post
    The petition to deport Justin Bieber has reached 200,000 signatures, while the petition demanding an investigation on why toxic chemicals were dumped into West Virginias Water Supply as of yesterday morning was less than 500. WTF?
    As someone who grew up in WV as terrible as it is every politican would fight such a move and so would a large part of their citizens. All that state has is the Coal Companies and the people can't open their eyes to see what it does. I'm so glad I was able to move.

So yea, the Beiber petition is probably more worth while.

Working as intended.

I think this is too cynical to be honest.

People are pretty easily amused and it's inherently amusing to see a petition on the White House for Justin Bieber to be deported. And because it's amusing, it's trending and being passed around.

This isn't a commentary on how people don't care about other issues, but rather about the packaging of this particular issue. Forcing the Obama Administration to have to make a statement on the Western World's most notable recent spoiled brat is inherently funny, and so people pay attention to it.

If you look at the other serious petitions that have gotten replies, the number of respondants vastly exceeds the Bieber sum, and sometimes similar petitions are pooled together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Toxic chemical spills in West Virginia only affects West Virginia. Toxic chemical spills in pop culture/media affect the entire country.