Thread: ele in duels

Unhappy ele in duels

Hey,

i have 1.8k rating in arenas on my ele and decided to do some duels to improve (especially since waiting to find a grp takes long) against some classes.

So far i lost pretty much every duel

Is it hard to duel as ele or do i just suck.

I duelled so far :

Rogues: Faceroll im so dead, sometimes i doent even really enter battle
    Warrior: Hard to dps down last few %. Always lost
    Hunter: Cant say to much, always most often they dont even deterrance
    Mage: Lost most
    WW : Not to bad but lost most

My problem is, i have a gameplan, then the others open and before 1 blanket silence or stun is over im almost dead. And all my abilities are on cd in stun/silence. I cant even pop some def ability. Then my plan just goes down the hill. And with like 20% hp left im mostly lost what i could do to turn the game while others are almost untouched (especially rogue/hunter/warrior/also mage sometimes).

Deleted
    Ele isn't really a strong duel class. We do good in 3s with the right comp and RBG. We are pretty vulnurable without a healer/some peel.

Deleted
    Elemental is perhaps the WORST duelling/1v1 spec right now.

But man, is it still fun to join EotS and do nothing else but Thunderstorm people in the middle huehuehue

Deleted
    I will try to help you here, cuz the other guys above just stated the obvious.

Yes ele sux in duelz, 2v2 etc, but you could at least do some things to loose with dignity lol, maybe even win some

VS rogue seriously no clue what the fuck to do, its just hands off keyboard half of the time drinking tea, never cast, constant stunlock, I can't even juke heal cuz my health is dropping on portions . Any way, my personal tactic:

Your goal should be to survive the opening, usually rogues use all cd at start
    -dont thunder him at start he will be on you instantly, save this for latter.
    -trinket kidney, apply flame shock and start healing your self
    -spec into instant hex, use and if he trinkets try to stun with decapitator
    -as sson as cloak of shadow is off, use fire elemental,
    -keep kiting with root totem and heal
    -only dps when u get instant lava burst.

This is pretty much what I do vs rogues.

VS hunter, many ele shaman insist on beating equally skilled/geared hunter. Hard to believe but OK
    - tactic is to force his trinket, hex//stun and use ascendance, never burst before trinket is off
    - spam heal your self
    - flame shock him and the pet for more lava burst procs.
    -try fishing silencing shot with lava burst cast, if he silences LB, u can free cast your heals.

Anyway, only won 1v1 v hunter in arena with pillar kiting/healing and just throwing instant lava burst on him.

Vs Warrior, yes second wind is a pain in the ***

What I tend to do is save burst for when he is low and nuke in a hex/stun, if u use burst early in the game its pretty much gg. What your goal should be is to kite/heal through his burst and only use instant lava bursts and elemental.

Mage should be the easiest fight.

- dot both him and his pet
    - try not to cast dmg and purge as much as you can the rest of the time just heals and pillar kite as much as you can
    -use root totem only after he blinks to get away and heal.
    - trinket 1st deep and shaman rage second
    -wind shear bombs
    - grounding totem is very useful for sheeps

VS ww gratz for wining most fights, as I am struggling vs them, they have more ways to lock you down than rogues lol and are practically impossible to kite with their insane mobility.
    - only advise I can give u is use ascendance after karma.

hope this helps

Rogues are a fantastic barrel of laughs to duel as Elemental; dying without dealing even one point of damage never gets old. WW monk's are almost worse so GG to doing well against them.

Also getting in before all the rank 1 super-pro's tell you about how Elemental is pro at duelling and how they faceroll everyone 1v1 everyday because they have tons more skill; they don't.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-02-03 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    i have 1.8k rating in arenas on my ele and decided to do some duels to improve (especially since waiting to find a grp takes long) against some classes.

So far i lost pretty much every duel

Is it hard to duel as ele or do i just suck.
    Hard to duel.

I have more than 1.8k on an ele, but that's 3s. I am losing duels on my ele like no tomorrow. Conversely, I am beating eles in duels on my other classes pretty much all the time.

Your worst matchup is WW monk, btw - you are saying "not too bad", but just wait. DKs are also "forget it". Mages are actually winnable. Warriors were winnable previous patch.

If you want to make sense in duels as a shaman, go enha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mohyoto View Post
    VS rogue ...
    -as sson as cloak of shadow is off, use fire elemental,
    Don't use fire elemental. Spec into Primal Elementalist (absolutely required for duels) and use earth elemental for the stun, and less so, damage reduction.
    Last edited by rda; 2014-02-03 at 09:56 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohyoto View Post
    Mage
    - trinket 1st deep and shaman rage second
    Shaman rage the first (he will usually use the orb + on use trinkets as well here), trinket the second, shaman rage will be back up for the third if your duel goes for that long.

Instant hex is excellent to use when mage pops cooldowns. Use it, heal up. If mage trinkets the hex then you can try to catch him in roots and run away to heal. If he blinks you can then get him with Cap totem + projection - he then has no way to get out except iceblock.

Purge + sham rage is the key to winning against mages.

Deleted
    Decided to ask some of the pros on AJ. Actually got a pretty good answer and some great tips how to deal with rogues in 1v1.

As an ele in 2s, whenever I meet a rogue (and to some extend ferals as well) in a double dps setting, I use primal elementalist/astral shift/frost shock root. Reinforce (20% less damage taken) and the ability to use astral shift during garrote and sham rage during cheap shot are pretty strong. And you can stun the rogue through your earth elemental for 4s. Plenty of ways to fuck with the rogues opener. I try to keep earthquake up as much as possible during re-stealhs. That still leaves you with ns/hex, trinket, stun totem, thunderstorm/frost shock root and healing tide. Once you pop your primal fire elemental on the rogue, he literally will run off like a little bitch to not get completely raped. Of course the rogue keeps the best odds to win, but you do have certain things you can do to make him blow cd's without getting the kill.

As far as 3s goes, playing with unleash fury and have a dedicated weapon that you enchant with rockbiter + macro to weapon swap is golden vs rogues. 40% dmg reduction for 5s every 15s starts to look like a mini nerve strike. But in the end if it comes to a 1v1 vs a rogue in 3s it's just a matter of who has what cd's left, and the rogue should pretty much win all the time (though some maps make it easier for you).

You will never beat a skilled rogue in 1v1 as ele. As for AJ, they removed rating restrictions from posting in class discussions...so you get a lot of very misleading information from less experienced players. The rogue will dominate you long before fire ele kills him. Honestly, if you live through his opener with blades + dance, I'd be surprised. He will trinket your hex, oneshot cap totem with an autoattack, step your tstorm, and completely lock you down. You WILL be dead before you have a second hex ready. (This assumes a good rogue with his cooldowns available, obviously).
    Last edited by Dookles; 2014-02-03 at 06:02 PM.

I've found rogues and frost mages to be significantly harder than hunters and ww in duels.

Either way, there's little value to dueling as ele.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mican17 View Post
    rogues
    Oh god, the absolute nightmare of elemental shamans.

When a Rogue is on me I almost feel like im taking increased damage. I just go down almost instantly and I cant seem to counter them at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rogues are your toughest opponent as an ele shaman. However, mages are one of the easiest. Just sham rage/trinket deep freezes, interrupt frost bomb, and use grounding totem liberally and you should win every time. If you forget to hex during his burst, you can always hex and heal when you get low. Mages cant heal outside of evocation and polymorph restores your health. Use that to your advantage.
    HEROES NEVER DIE